Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you say about morality at an interview?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you say about morality at an interview?

I said you shouldn't talk about morality at work. Is that the best thing to say? Values are different though I think. What do you guys think I should have said?
    OK to talk about morality at work
    100.00%
    Not ok
    0.00%
    Only if it pertains to bananas
    0.00%
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

I wouldn't say that is the right answer for a job interview. I'd say the correct answer is that you should discuss work-related morality, ie not stealing company property or something to that extent; but not personal morality, such as gay marriage or such.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

"People should shut up and focus on doing their jobs!"
      Blah

Comment

"I think raping women and killing people is wrong."

Comment

"Morality is irrelevant. Values are irrelevant. Resistance Is Futile. You Will Be Assimilated!"
          Blah

Comment

Tell them the truth that you have a picture of stalin on your wall.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
              Tell them the truth
              That's not going to happen. I'm a liar.
              that you have a picture of stalin on your wall.
              That's not true either.

Comment

Seriously, what exactly was the question -- if you should talk about morality at work? Is that a common question in interviews in the US?
                Blah

Comment

Yes. Unlike Germany with your hookers and sausages, the US is a moral country.

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV
                    hookers and sausages
                    Don't forget beer
                    Blah

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                      Seriously, what exactly was the question -- if you should talk about morality at work? Is that a common question in interviews in the US?
                      It's not a very good question for an interview, no idea if it's common or not. I suppose it might be an attempt at a behavioral interview question, but phrased that way it fails.

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                        Something like describe a time at work when you have a confict (maybe issue) with someone at work regarding different values or morals, or something like that.

I paused for about 5 seconds. Than I talked about a time when a teacher confronted me about a grade that I gave a student. Then I said that I didn't think that you should share your morals at work. I noticed that they wrote that last part done as though it were important.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369

It's not a very good question for an interview, no idea if it's common or not. I suppose it might be an attempt at a behavioral interview question, but phrased that way it fails.
                          Actually, I remember back when I used to work summer jobs in high school they often have these stupid questions for menial job positions.

What are your opinions on marijuana? Do you think it's okay to punch customers? I'm exaggerating a little but it's really not that for off if you look at the questionnaires they give you. All you do is give the answers they're looking for.

Comment

... which is why they are poor interview questions

The actual question as described by Kid above (edited for clarity):
                            Describe a time at work when you have a conflict with someone at work regarding different values or morals.

This is a fairly good interview question, actually. The point of this question is to determine:

1. Is the interviewee capable of discussing a conflict - this bears on the honesty and directness of the interviewee
                            2. How significant of a conflict does the interviewee discuss - this bears on whether they are likely to be someone who can ignore small problems and get along with co-workers.
                            3. How did the interviewee resolve the conflict - did they resolve it themselves, did they take it upstairs, etc. This bears on their ability in conflict resolution (and either answer can be correct depending on the circumstance).

The question does not bear on the actual values or morales, and doesn't have anything to do with 'discussing morality at work'; it is focused on conflict resolution. A very solid behavioral interview question.
                            Last edited by snoopy369; May 30, 2008, 13:06.

Comment

Was it asked as relates to ethics?
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X