A Great Hero Turns 97!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LordShiva

Now if teh freedom and democracy-loving South Vietnamese regime had it their way, it would have been so much prettier, right?
    Yes don't you know US appointed regimes can do no wrong, even when they are pseudofaschist bastards.

USA! USA! USA!
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
      I wonder what those who, with a straight face, maintain that teh US was somehow fighting "teh good fight" against teh North Vietnamese communists, think about teh morality of teh US support to teh Khmer Rouge.
      QFT

I just find it hilarious since no non-USAian will say that it was a good thing that the US fought the Vietnam war.
      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

Funny thing, this thing called Democracy - in the end, decisions of war and peace are left to the whole polity. If a government fails to explain to the governed what they gain from their sacrifice, well, then they have failed in a way that no number of battlefield victories can overcome.

If the "American people" had trully supported the war in Vietnam, no number of "left wingers"" declaring the war unwinnable" would have actually led to the Congress (in which 578 out of 645 face re-election every two years) to remove the support for the war as it did.

It amazes me that a "Liberterian" like yourself has such an Authoritarian view on what the behavior of a Democratic polity should be in a time of war. Heck, obviously Giap understood these basic political facts better than, well, you do, even with 30 years hindsight.
        Read this agian. By George I think he may be on to something, and he isn't even a leftist pinko!

Comment

Originally posted by Omni Rex Draconis
          A good thread, as I have somehow never read anything about this guy. This will be rectified shortly, as everything in the OP points to a man worth honouring.
          Aye. Even if you oppose the political side he was on, the man seemed like a skillful leader and did his job well.

You can recognize that a Communist general did his job well, without having to endorse Communism.

I admire Julius Caesar and that doesn't make me a Roman.
          "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

You can be British and admire Napoleon.

Comment

Working...
            X