I think I heard Hillary won a state

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I heard Hillary won a state

I was just being environmentally conscius and using public transit, when I tought that I heard someting on the local raido news station about Hillary beating Barack in a state.

I'm too lazy to google to figure our if I misheard or if this is real news... so tell me a bit about the dryest subject on Earth.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Teh State of Trance

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

She won West Virginia, handily. This was expected.

Nothing to see here, move along.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

But if she is still winning states why is the race "over"? I mean these elections are more recent than the pseudo "national primarys", also is this reported on any news site. I must admit I have no idea Where TF is West Virginina...
        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Because she could win every state remaining by a reasonably large amount, and still lose?

All of the important states are done already.
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Also would Barrack win West Virginia I tought I heard something about no democrat ever winning the election without West Virginia.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
              Because she could win every state remaining by a reasonably large amount, and still lose?

All of the important states are done already.
              You are missing the point, aren't these elections more recent? I mean are the people of the US so divided that state trends are not at least slight national trends?

Comment

The race is over in that it's extremely, extremely improbable that Clinton can catch up in delegates to the Democratic Party's national convention at this point. She's winning right now because the states that are the most demographically friendly to Clinton (and demographics have basically determined the course of the race, with a few exceptions) have tended to be later on in the race. Basically, WV has everything that Obama's performance correlates poorly with (low education, lots of Southern Baptists, few black people, lots of old people).
                "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                -Bokonon

Comment

But didn't Hillary have a lead in all groups in West Virignia? Including college graduates and higher income families and voters under 30? Aren't those demographics that usually voted Obama in other states?

Comment

Also would Barrack win West Virginia I tought I heard something about no democrat ever winning the election without West Virginia.
                    There has only been a single Democratic President since the South stopped being the party's electoral base (now, of course, it's the Republicans' base). These kinds of statistics are meaningless, given the small sample sizes involved.
                    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                    -Bokonon

Comment

But didn't Hillary have a lead in all groups in West Virignia? Including college graduates and higher income families and voters under 30? Aren't those demographics that usually voted Obama in other states?

She did a lot worse in those groups than her base demographics. Also, these variables are related (i.e. voters under 30 tend to be less educated, and whiter than in other states), and one of the most important variables (Southern Baptists) wasn't specifically polled. And the expectation of a large loss lead Obama to campaign a lot less vigorously than Clinton in the state.
                      -Bokonon

Comment

She'll probably win Kentucky too. The polls show her way up there.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

What if she wins Oregon and Kentucky. Does that mean the race is over?

I was wondering if anyone would start a thread and I found the decisive lack of one commentary on the demographics of Apolyton.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

She won't win Oregon (which, incidentally, is a working class, white state).

If she does, that might give supers some pause, but Obama still would be the almost certain nominee.
                            -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus
                              It's regionalism, waaaaaaaaaaaay more than half of the counties that Hillary has won by landslides (65%+ of the vote) have been in Appalachia. Don't get demographics confused with region.

Now it's a bad thing that Obama has run weak in Appalachia but that doesn't mean that Obama does badly elsewhere with the same demographics he does badly with in Appalachia (for example Obama has swept the upper midwest in a series of MASSIVE blowouts).
                              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Working...
                              X