Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The problem with feminism (and Christianity, and ....)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might as well do the rest too...

Originally posted by aneeshm
    The second point:

While I was reading up on pre-Christian and non-Christian cultures (thankfully, I am myself from one, so I find it much easier to switch mental culture-frames), I came across a very different view of life and the world. The mind was not the sole definition of "person". The locus of individual identity lay as much in the body as in the mind, and instincts and impulses were not within the domain of judgement, but actions were. That is, a person was moral based on what he did, not on what he felt. So a person giving up something dear to him for what he thought was a greater cause was a morally admirable act precisely because of the difficulty of the action involved, not because of obedience to some God-given commandment. Here, there were no self-destructive moral actions.
    ? Giving up something dear for the greater good is not a self-destructive moral action? I would think that would be by definition self-destructive to some extent.

Also, these people did not have what is commonly referred to as an "integrated view of body and mind", because there was nothing to integrate - the mind-body dichotomy, or separation, even if it existed in some small form, was never anything significant anyway.
    Sounds like a semantic objection, but fine.

The third part:

It seems to me that most people would do better to adopt the second view of human nature - the one in which you don't have to worry about an integrated body and mind because you never separate them at all. You don't have to worry about being "in touch" with your instincts, because you know that you are your instincts, there is no need to speak of them as dichotomous.
    You assume, of course, that the instincts are or should be regarded as something separate from the mind. See: Freud, Sigmund. Id, Ego, Superego, all that fun stuff. As a practical matter, what are you suggesting? The negation of the superego, doing whatever the hell our instincts suggest, or what?

This gets rid of the fundamental weakening contradiction at the core of most of modern culture - the cultural and moral, yet still artificial and damaging, duality between body and mind. It also gets rid of the anti-naturalistic fallacy. Judgements will no longer be conferred on a person's feeling or instincts, but on their actions. And instinct not being regarded as somehow "evil", human interaction will become far more fulfilling, for the simple reason that they aren't born of a tortured nailing together of contradictory ideas and emotions. When it is recognised that an act is immoral because it is revolting to one of our instincts, and not because of some external absolute moral authority deeming it so, morality and law will accord far more with human nature than they do now.
    Even assuming it's plausible, that does not sound like a good thing. Xenophobia and aggression are natural instincts too. But I don't think it plausible. Do you honestly believe people feel guilty about improper thoughts because of dualism? It doesn't follow at all. If anything, I would think a non-dualistic person would feel his/her whole self implicated by negative feelings. Not that I think, "Oh, my brain just thought something bad!" Wait a minute, what about Buddhism? They explicitly believe that suffering is caused by improper mental activity ("grasping," or what-have-you), and just as explicitly reject not only boundaries within the self but boundaries within the whole universe. Everything's just interconnected energies to them.

As an amusing afterthought, this also gets rid of the geek-jock fallacy, because both are what you get when you accept the mind-body dichotomy and artificially starve one part of yourself, or neglect it. Both are, in a sense, broken. The mind without a body is as incomplete as the body without a mind.
    Yes, it's great fun to stack and re-stack ideas into neat conceptual boxes. That's why PoMo is so popular in some circles. Ultimately, though, it doesn't say anything about reality. It just shows your level of skill and interest in idea-stacking.

The fourth part:

This will also force us to accept some facts about the natural world, and about ourselves, which modern culture will frown upon. I'll illustrate with an example.

This post was inspired by feminism, so I'll start with the most common objection there. Feminists will have to accept "objectification" as a biological fact of life. The body being as much part of the individual as the mind is, there is no moral condemnation attached to judging both men or women by their bodies. Your fitness shows, to a great extent, how much you value yourself as a person, because, remember, your person is also your body.

Secondly, what is called "objectification" today is pretty much innate to humans. When a man looks at a woman for the first time, the first judgement made is to place that woman on the scale of 'bang ability'. This isn't conscious, by the way, it's completely subconscious. The only thing men consciously have access to is the result of that judgement. The in-built assessment circuitry says, "That woman is an X on the scale", and that's that. From there on, it cascades. Training can change the criterion of judgement - as you become healthier, so does your taste, generally - but not the fact that the judgement occurs.

Another factor which feminists may be loath to admit, yet is as true as the "objectification" one, is that women also have in-built assessment circuitry. It is more complex than that of men, because it has to measure physical intangibles, but it no less potent. The in-built assessment circuitry for women assesses three things:

a) Resource provision capacity - more specifically, in today's context, the man's financial stability
    b) In-group social power - in our context, status in whatever hierarchy the male is competing in
    c) Genetic fitness - this is usually a function of the above two, as that is what matters from the long term for genetic fitness, but occasionally, due to the quirks of human sexual selection, a specimen comes along with all the indicators of sexual attractiveness. This is the one most closely resembling the physical "objectification" most feminists so despise.

The point here is that women also innately "objectify" men, but it is more subtle, as a function of their earning potential and social dominance, rather than just their bodies. The same way that feminists complain that men see only their bodies, men may well complain that women see only their bank accounts (or indicators thereof - clothes, watch, car, et cetera) or their rank in the social hierarchy (how dominant a person appears).

Both complaints are essentially pointless whining. This assessment instinct is innate, and instead of trying to block it and make everyone unhappy, why not accept it as a fact of life - which, after all, it is - and move on? The fact that this instinct exists does not mean that men are incapable of seeing anything beyond a body, or that women can see nothing beyond wealth and status. What it means is that these are the first, and probably most powerful things, which will catch our attention. Acknowledging that is better than suppressing it.
    Some folks reinvent the wheel. You just reinvented "ladder theory" ( www.laddertheory.com ). The difference is that the wheel is useful and not born of cynicism or spite.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Fascinating how ignorance and sexism can pass for philosophy. Aneeshm hasn't changed at all.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Thanks elok. I'm curious as to the tripartite theory you were advancing. In my understanding was that it was substance dualism, in that the soul and the spirit were considered to be spiritual, while the body was considered to be material.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

The soul can become substance by compressing the air around it.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
            The soul can become substance by compressing the air around it.
            Sig material.
            "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
              Thanks Elok. I'm curious as to the tripartite theory you were advancing. In my understanding was that it was substance dualism, in that the soul and the spirit were considered to be spiritual, while the body was considered to be material.
              Perhaps they're alike in substance (not that we would have any way of knowing), but for the sake of Aneeshm's argument it only matters that they're three things, no? I never took too much interest in the subject so I can't say much on it, but I believe the Orthodox perspective is that humans are somehow analogous to the Trinity, with the Word (Christ) standing in for Soul and, of course, the Holy Spirit for Spirit. As to what this all means theologically, I couldn't tell you.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Well it would be news to me. I had never heard that before, so I was curious if you had been taught that in the Orthodox church. As far as I know, the soul and the spirit are both considered to be the same substance apart from the flesh.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

The problem with feminism is that it gives *****y women a philosophical sounding excuse that makes them think they have the high moral ground to go along with their chemically inspired tantrums. So, rather than reason playing a part to circumvent the worst of their (mostly) undeserved ill treatment of men the reverse occurs and it leads to fanaticism, with which I strongly disagree and lesbianism which I have mixed feelings towards.

The problem with Christianity is alot of christians seem to have a Christ complex, like being a christian alone gives one the high moral ground. That only gets you into heaven. The high moral ground comes with loving God first and then the people, and doing something about it.
                  Long time member @ Apolyton
                  Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Re: Might as well do the rest too...

Originally posted by Elok

? Giving up something dear for the greater good is not a self-destructive moral action? I would think that would be by definition self-destructive to some extent.
                    A greater good which is a good to you.

Sounds like a semantic objection, but fine.
                    I'd disagree, but well, let it go.

You assume, of course, that the instincts are or should be regarded as something separate from the mind. See: Freud, Sigmund. Id, Ego, Superego, all that fun stuff. As a practical matter, what are you suggesting? The negation of the superego, doing whatever the hell our instincts suggest, or what?
                    That's in the fourth part.

And instincts are not separate from the mind nor from the self, they, in their multifarious forms, are the self. Instincts operate at all levels of human abstraction.

Even assuming it's plausible, that does not sound like a good thing. Xenophobia and aggression are natural instincts too. But I don't think it plausible. Do you honestly believe people feel guilty about improper thoughts because of dualism? It doesn't follow at all. If anything, I would think a non-dualistic person would feel his/her whole self implicated by negative feelings. Not that I think, "Oh, my brain just thought something bad!" Wait a minute, what about Buddhism? They explicitly believe that suffering is caused by improper mental activity ("grasping," or what-have-you), and just as explicitly reject not only boundaries within the self but boundaries within the whole universe. Everything's just interconnected energies to them.
                    Which is pretty much the way reality is, too, isn't it?

More seriously, when you break down the motivation behind an action further and further, what we come to find as the atom is some evolved instinct, not a reasoned justification. This applies to our entire civilisation. Even law is an expression of innate human nature.

Yes, it's great fun to stack and re-stack ideas into neat conceptual boxes. That's why PoMo is so popular in some circles. Ultimately, though, it doesn't say anything about reality. It just shows your level of skill and interest in idea-stacking.
                    I don't really know what to make of this.

Some folks reinvent the wheel. You just reinvented "ladder theory" ( www.laddertheory.com ). The difference is that the wheel is useful and not born of cynicism or spite.
                    I think you underestimate me in this regard. I haven't reinvented anything. I've read up quite a bit about this topic, and I've distilled what I've taken away from many hours of reading and understanding into this one part.

The topic is, of course, much more intricate than that, but it would have taken me an inordinate amount of space to cover all the details and sub-cases which I know.

I would refer to the works of Matt Ridley, Geoffrey Miller, Steven Pinker, E.O. Wilson, and Marc Hauser for more information - I'll cite names if you want.

In case you want an online open-access journal, I'd suggest the Journal of Evolutionary Psychology.

Comment

Don't even get me started.

ENOUGH !!!

Why in the hell are we still hounding on this?!?
                      "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                      "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Maybe you should read some background and know who Plato is before reading psychology journals?

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Sheesh, JM, we all know who Mickey Mouse's dog is. Why bring him into a philosophical discussion?
                          "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

You're thinking Plutarch.
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Pluto
                              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
                              X