"I got you under my wheels"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I got you under my wheels"

A truck driver who ran over and killed his girlfriend after she fell from the side of his rig was sentenced yesterday to two years house arrest and prohibited from driving for two years.

Cory McCaughan, 43, was convicted of dangerous driving causing death following a trial last year. Justice Daniel Kennedy found McCaughan not guilty of the more serious charge of criminal negligence causing death.

Christine Bruynson-Douma, 38, died July 9, 2004, after falling under the wheels of McCaughan's rig during an argument in the parking lot of the Anola Petro-Canada station.

Kennedy said McCaughan's anger was at least partly to blame for the fatal accident. On Monday, court heard McCaughan's temper was a factor in two prior run-ins with the law.

McCaughan's ex-wife Annette McCaughan testified McCaughan nearly ran her down after kicking her from the side of his truck during an altercation outside their home in September 2003. Both parties were charged with assault and the matter was later resolved by way of a peace bond.

In 1998, McCaughan was convicted of arson after burning down his family-run garage and received an 18-month conditional sentence. McCaughan told a probation officer he set the fire so his then-wife would not receive any money for the business in their divorce settlement.

"There appears to me to be more than a minimum risk attached to the accused's manner and there is always some likelihood that a reaction would occur again," Kennedy said.

In revoking McCaughan's driving privileges, Kennedy said, "I cannot be certain that he will not react when driving once again."

The Crown filed a conviction appeal in December, arguing McCaughan should have been found guilty of criminal negligence causing death. Justice officials would not comment on whether the sentence will be appealed.

Notice the particularly harsh sentence imposed by the notoriously strict Canadian legal system. Two years house arrest and two years driving prohibition. Not that you would be doing much driving while under house arrest anyway...
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Well, now I know where to have my next family vacation.

erm.

Comment

We'll do anything to attract tourists.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Did she have blue eyes?
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
        X