Iran begins installing 6,000 new centrifuges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LordShiva
    Do you seriously think that Iran isn't worried about a potential US invasion, as far-fetched as it sounds to you and me? Apart from a brewing geopolitical struggle with Saudi Arabia/Egypt, that fear is probably teh biggest driving force behind their ambitions.

BTW, how many foreign countries has Iran "converted?" Which ones are even remote possibilities for theocratic Shi'ite governments?
    Syria, Lebanon, and possibly Iraq in the future...
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO
      The only reason that the west would attack is if Iran posed a clear and immediate danger to either western interests or western allies.
      Iraq, Haiti, Serbia, Somalia, Iraq, Panama, Lybia, Grenada, Vietnam, the Dominican Republic all call bull**** on you
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Iraq, Haiti, Serbia, Somalia, Iraq, Panama, Lybia, Grenada, Vietnam, the Dominican Republic all call bull**** on you
        Debatable in the extreme.
        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

None of those counties posed a clear and immediate danger to Western interests or allies.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
            None of those counties posed a clear and immediate danger to Western interests or allies.
            I almost started to respond, but my last post covers it. Start a different thread on the justification of actions taken against those countries and I'll try to join that party. For now, let's just say that I do not accept your statement and further I find no parallels to eithier an Iranian invasion or the topic being discussed.

But...always good to see ya che!
            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

So, you refuse to consider teh possibility that Iran might harbour any kind of fear of a US invasion (because, as you correctly point out, teh US hasn't invaded Saudi Arabia), yet are perfectly OK believing that Iran or its proxies are capable of posing even a semblance of an existential challenge to Israel? And that teh US would tuck its tail between its legs and abandon Iraq after pouring so much blood, money, and political capital into its future teh moment Iran gets a nuke?

If your goal is to confuse me, you're doing an admirable job
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Do you also refuse to consider that teh Iranian regime realises that teh Iranian people hate it, that it realises that they've failed in spurring teh economic growth that would provide them with political cover, that it knows that making loud, cliched noises about how Israel is teh evil serves as a convenient distraction, and that its realistic enough to recognise that a US invasion would bring to house down? Because if so, I can see why you might view their nuclear program as an outward-looking endeavour to convert teh poor Lebanese rather than an internally-geared means to prolong its survival.
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

Do you also refuse to consider that teh Iranian regime realises that teh Iranian people hate it, that it realises that they've failed in spurring teh economic growth that would provide them with political cover, that it knows that making loud, cliched noises about how Israel is teh evil serves as a convenient distraction, and that its realistic enough to recognise that a US invasion would bring to house down? Because if so, I can see why you might view their nuclear program as an outward-looking endeavour to convert teh poor Lebanese rather than an internally-geared means to prolong its survival.
                  No, I fully believe that the Iranian people do not fully support their government. The same way that many Soviets, or Czechs, or Poles, or Romanians, etc...did not support theirs. Given time, a movement in Iran to overthrow the government may gain traction. I sure hope so. Now, do I believe that the nuclear weapons program is geared to Iranian public opinion? No. I believe it is purely an instrument to further their foriegn policy. Any domestic benefit would be secondary to the current regime IMO.

Comment

So, you refuse to consider teh possibility that Iran might harbour any kind of fear of a US invasion (because, as you correctly point out, teh US hasn't invaded Saudi Arabia), yet are perfectly OK believing that Iran or its proxies are capable of posing even a semblance of an existential challenge to Israel? And that teh US would tuck its tail between its legs and abandon Iraq after pouring so much blood, money, and political capital into its future teh moment Iran gets a nuke?

If your goal is to confuse me, you're doing an admirable job
                    I believe that Iran has capable and knowledgeable people running their foriegn affairs and advising the Theocracy on foriegn policy. Nothing that Iran has done in the public arena seems to indicate anything less. These people are smart enough to understand the realities of if the US would invade or not. It is my belief that they will push the envelope just to the safe side of the brink and no further. Developing nuclear weapons would push that brink farther away. That being said...there is always the possibility that they will go to far and overstep that brink. I doubt it, as they seem pretty good at understanding where it is. However, the further that brink goes away from Actual US direct action against them, then the greater the possibility that they will increase their covert offensive operations.

Am I still being confusing?

Comment

Well, I agree with that. That teh brink gets pushed further, thereby making certain scenarios not in teh US's best interests possible, is a good reason to oppose teh program. I don't agree that it gets pushed so far out as to make teh destruction of Israel or Syrian/Lebanese/Iraqi theocracies possible.

Comment

I don't agree that it gets pushed so far out as to make teh destruction of Israel or Syrian/Lebanese/Iraqi theocracies possible.
                        The gains in both political and military power that groups like Hizbollah have experienced over the last decade, and the growing importance of the Shiite religious leaders in Iraq (or is that Iran? ) have on Iraqi politics would beg to differ.

The real thing is, however, that Iran makes no bones about what they are trying to do. It is their policy.

Lebanon is very close to being dominated by Hizbollah even now, and it is likely that a US withdrawal from Iraq would see the same situation arise there. Syria is a bit more complicated, but not out of the bounds of reason.

Comment

I'm pretty sure they can never really threaten Israel's existence, and that they realise that teh best they can do is be a nuisance through proxies. Teh "wipe Israel off teh map" rhetoric seems to be more like a "this is how we'd like things to be in an ideal world, though realistically, if there was a time when we could have done something to achieve it, that time is long past, but it earns us political capital to keep saying it anyway" kind of thing. Sort of like how it's Taiwan's "stated policy" that they are teh rightful rulers of teh "Republic of China."

Their designs on Iraq, and ensuring Shi'ite domination there, come closest to being "legitimate," given how they've suffered at teh hands of Sunni rule and how every country wants a friendly government in its large, potentially powerful neighbours, and while teh closer cultural links between the two countries makes some degree of Iranian influence inevitable, I don't think teh US would ever allow an Iranian-style government there. Same with Israel and Lebanon. Nukes or no nukes.

Comment

As we all know, Israel has nuclear weapons. Further, Israel's closest ally is the most powerful country on the planet, which has the largest nuclear weapons stockpile.

So yeah, Iran's gonna nuke Israel. Right.

The NPT is a fair point, though, PLATO. Iran should withdraw from the NPT if they want nukes. They are currently playing it both ways. Therefore sanctions are appropriate (revoke whatever benifits they get for being a NPT signatory). Not that those are usually all that effective, but they may slow the Iranians down.

However, I still maintain we've no right at all to use force to prevent them from building a nuke - which is what worries me. There are some who want to haul off and bomb Iran. Aside from the moral issue, that would be stupid... which is why I worry our government might do it.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO
                              The real thing is, however, that Iran makes no bones about what they are trying to do. It is their policy.
                              We made no bones about our policy of pushing for democracy and human rights and for fifty years of that policy we've supported some of the worst dictatorships humanity has had to offer, even the Khmer Rouge!!! What a country says, and what a country does, are two very different things, which are only accidentally related to one another. My god, even after seven years of Bush, you're still going to believe that the outward expressions of a government reflect actual policy?

Iranian support for Hizbollah has more to do with gaining influence in the Muslim world than it has to do with destroying Israel.

Comment

I nominate the Khmer Rouge for the Mao for "Best Name for an Evil Dictatorship"...
                                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                                X