Iran begins installing 6,000 new centrifuges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iran begins installing 6,000 new centrifuges

Iran has the 2nd largest oil reserves in the world.
    Interested in nuclear power as a replacement? No.

Move is a show of defiance to U.S. and allies, who seek end to nuclear work

MSNBC News Services
    updated 1 hour, 22 minutes ago
    TEHRAN, Iran - Iran has begun installing 6,000 new centrifuges at its uranium enrichment plant in Natanz, state television quoted President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad as saying Tuesday.

Iran already has about 3,000 centrifuges operating in Natanz, and the new announcement is seen as a show of defiance of international demands to halt a nuclear program the United States and its allies say is aimed at building nuclear weapons.

“The president announced the start of the phase of installing 6,000 new centrifuges in Natanz,” state television reported.
    The full story.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Nuclear Power
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

They're not for nuclear power. Maybe to BE a nuclear power. That's pretty much the point.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Why would you care, Sloww? You have more than enough fireworks of your own to deter them.
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Islamists are animals. They don't understand MAD.
          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

I guess you're right, Agathon. Since Iran doesn't seem to mind sanctions, we'll just blow it off. No concerns at all.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
              I guess you're right, Agathon. Since Iran doesn't seem to mind sanctions, we'll just blow it off. No concerns at all.
              I don't understand why you think that Iran would use whatever pathetic squib of a nuclear weapon it has to conduct a first strike on another country, when such a strike would lead to massive retaliation and the destruction of Iran. The Iranians aren't that stupid.

I mean, one could object to Iran having nuclear weapons on the grounds that the money would be better spent on health care. But of course, even if Iran manages to build a crude device, it will make it very difficult for other countries to attack Iran, and that's what this ridiculous howlfest is all about.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Because they're run by a madman? Why would Idi Amin eat all of his people?

Comment

Now, Sloww, he couldn't possibly have eaten ALL of them. Aggie, while a nuclear Iran would pose no direct threat to us, I don't think we're concerned entirely with being able to attack them with impunity. I think it's more a combination of regional politics getting even more complicated and imbalanced, a possible threat to Israel, and a general fear of crazy people with nuclear weapons.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I'd say you understand exactly.

Comment

1945: US develops "crude" nuclear weapon
                      1970: US has 11,000 nuclear warheads and ICBMs

2010: Iran develops "crude" nuclear weapon
                      2035: ????????

It's not about the initial "crude" weapon. It is about Iran's political philosophy of gaining regional hegemony and exporting Islamic government. Not to mention the fact that they have sworn to destroy Israel, a soverign country.
                      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

India built a crude bomb in 1973. How many do they have today?

This is definitely suspicious on Iran's part, but not unexpected. Iran isn't stupid.

U.S. threatens Iraq. Iraq has no nukes. Iraq gets invaded.

U.S. threatens N. Korea. N. Korea has nukes. N. Korea doesn't get invaded.

U.S. threatens Iran. Iran does math. Iran goes for nukes.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                          U.S. threatens Iraq. Iraq has no nukes. Iraq gets invaded.

U.S. threatens N. Korea. N. Korea has nukes. N. Korea doesn't get invaded.

U.S. threatens Iran. Iran does math. Iran goes for nukes.

che! Always good to get the super far left justification for how evil people are only "protecting" themselves.

Except that this has nothing to do with why they want nuclear weapons.

...or don't you follow what they are trying to do in the ME?
                          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Oh right, I forgot, they're trying to nuke Israel.

The U.S. is occupying Iraq, the Persian Gulf, Afghanistan, and several of the central Asian republics. Do you think Iran might feel a little surrounded?

All this assumes that they're still going for nukes. I don't know enough about the state of Iran's nuke industry to say for certain, but it certainly seems as if there is no doubt they are going for nukes.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                              Oh right, I forgot, they're trying to nuke Israel.
                              They are? OMG!

Obviously you are in denial about what they are trying to accomplish in the Middle East. I can sure understand how that would get past you...they have only been doing it for the last 30 years.

But, hey...let's let them have nukes. The world will be a safer place then, right? Right? che? hello.....

Now...Under the che system, I suggest that we immediately and publically state that Iran should be wiped off the face of the earth! Then we can ALL feel safer.

Comment

Working...
                              X