Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watch out Papists, it's Diamond Dan, the Orangeman superhero!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch out Papists, it's Diamond Dan, the Orangeman superhero!

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's... Diamond Dan - the Orange Order's new superhero.

He was first introduced to the public in November when a competition was launched in Northern Ireland to find a name for him.

The Order hopes the new character will help win over a new generation of members.

A special committee was set up to select the winning name out of more than 120 different suggestions.

The winning entry was put forward by Steven Mitchell, a primary school pupil from Lisburn.

'Founding father'

David Hume, the Orange Order's director of services, said they were delighted with the response to the competition.

"There were many strong entries such as Sash Gordon, Sashman and the Boyne Wonder," he said.
    Diamond Dan and Steven Mitchell
    Steven Mitchell, 7, came up with the name

"We picked Diamond Dan the Orangeman for a number of reasons.

"The name Diamond Dan has resonance going back more than 200 years to the formation of the Institution at the Diamond, Loughall, in 1795. Dan Winter was one of the founding fathers of the Order.

"It will raise questions which we can answer as part of our education outreach and explanation of our history.

"And of course, apart from the historical aspect of the name, it has a good ring to it."

The origins of the Orange Order date from the 17th century battle for supremacy between Protestantism and Catholicism.
    s******

lol David Hume
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Are they going to give him his own graphic novel series? I wonder what his superhero missions will be like? Will he rescue the streets of Londonderry from Catholic school kids trying to get to parish school?

Come to think of it I'd love to see a neutral party steal his image and use him to parody the whole Orange Order farce.
      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Wow Strangelove and I are on the same side.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
          Are they going to give him his own graphic novel series? I wonder what his superhero missions will be like? Will he rescue the streets of Londonderry from Catholic school kids trying to get to parish school?

Come to think of it I'd love to see a neutral party steal his image and use him to parody the whole Orange Order farce.
          Better yet, what will his supervillains be? Apart from the Pope.

Comment

Typical protestants.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
            X