Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darius871

They've got a point!
    In their country, anyway. A quick look at ours shows that private sector wages have no apparent enhancing effect on either competence or ethics.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

In their country, anyway. A quick look at ours shows that private sector wages have no apparent enhancing effect on either competence or ethics.

So very true...so very true...
      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Anyhow, be honest with us and actually make your point rather than pretending you didn't post this for a reason...
        It's a thought experiment.

I believe I said that already. I'm curious what answers we would get from the poly posters, nothing more then that.

I was debating in another thread and I thought, that would make an excellent poll, and I don't believe it had ever been asked before.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Would we be able to post on poly while "on the job"?
          Why not?

Is your boss going to go and tell you to be there? At worst you'd be kicked out of caucus and have to serve as an independent.

That's the thing you can't be fired and you have a 2 year gig.

That's one of the perks of the job.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
            Why not?

Is your boss going to go and tell you to be there? At worst you'd be kicked out of caucus and have to serve as an independent.
            You say "kicked out of caucus" like it'd be a bad thing...

Comment

500-1k.

Comment

I would volunteer to be a congressman, since I can just get rich of sluch funds and kick backs.

Comment

I voted for over a million bucks. Why do it for free if I can get that much.
                  DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Hmm. Junior Congressman from CT? I'd give it a shot for a salary in the 50-100 range. My salary is in that range now and I spend a lot of time arguing about politics. So the only change is geographical, which admittedly is a bummer. Then again, I might do something good and I'd only be there for 2 years.

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Zombies.... give me your ear (if they haven't rotted off yet).... it's time.... to move on.... from boring politics... cheesy campaign speeches read by politicians who didn't write them... and Iraq.... and al quaeda.... so you can finally.... learn how to live life.... life beyond the 6 o'clock news and the newspapers which are always the same drivel.... and learn that life does not have to be an endless journey of worshipping terrorism, corrupt politicians, and the crowd of miserable off-topic posters.
                      Here is an interesting scenario to check out. The Vietnam war is cool.

Comment

If I can use the position to leverage more money and influence (such that I can get a sweet well paid job after my stint) then I would accept a low salary all expenses paid job. If it is purely to do my 'duty' and I gain no other benefit, I would want more than my current salary.
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I picked I'd pay for the experience. Just think about that on your resume!
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

We have the same sort of discussions wrt politician pay here. "Pay more to attract better candidates/representatives" has been the claim. Quite frankly we have been on that path for decades and the quality of our representatives continues to drop. Perhaps it's time to move the other way and actually attract dedicated people interested in public service for a change.
                            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                              Then again, I might do something good and I'd only be there for 2 years.

-Arrian
                              That's the real prize. The "retirement" program calls for you to receive your salary for the rest of your life...not a bad deal for two years work.
                              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

If I can use the position to leverage more money and influence (such that I can get a sweet well paid job after my stint) then I would accept a low salary all expenses paid job. If it is purely to do my 'duty' and I gain no other benefit, I would want more than my current salary.
                                You can do whatever you want as a congressman. I'm not putting any restrictions on people. If people want to schmooze up to the lobbyists, they are welcome too.

Comment

Working...
                                X