Congressman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congressman

What would it take to get you to serve as a Congressman?

Assuming all the bills will be covered, as part of your 'allowance', any fees to move, etc.

What salary would motivate you to do the job. I'm assuming you have to pay nothing to campaign, and the job is already yours.
    I'd PAY for the opportunity!
    7.14%
    Volunteer, I'd be happy to serve my country
    14.29%
    1-1k/yr, a token amount
    0.00%
    1k-10k yr, a modest salary for my time
    3.57%
    10k-50k yr, less then the going rate
    10.71%
    50k-100k yr, the going rate
    21.43%
    100-500k, a premium, the job is HARD
    21.43%
    nothing less then a million bucks!
    7.14%
    I'd rather drive a tractor in circles!
    10.71%
    banana
    3.57%
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

I thought congressmen got 240k?

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Right now: 50k-100k
      bleh

Comment

[q=about.com]The current salary (2008) for rank-and-file members of the House and Senate is $169,300 per year.[/q]

I don't know what I'd ask for myself, though I probably would be fine with $169k. The complexity of pay includes things like maintaining two residences and other costs, lots of travel only some of which is covered, and the whole "pay them enough so they don't feel like they need to take bribes/gifts/etc." theory (which I actually generally agree with).
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I thought congressmen got 240k?
          This is a thought experiment.

I'm asking you what you would need to do a job like this.

It can be whatever you want, even that tractor if that's what you want out of life.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

The complexity of pay includes things like maintaining two residences and other costs, lots of travel only some of which is covered, and the whole "pay them enough so they don't feel like they need to take bribes/gifts/etc." theory (which I actually generally agree with).
            Assume the cost of the second residence and the travel back and forth is considered essential to the performance of your duties, so that would be covered in full.

Comment

Given the cost of living in DC, you are already heading well up the list there, sir. If your point is something other than "congressmen are paid too well / not enough", fine, but if that is the relevant point of interest you can't very well exclude those things (which are not actually excluded in RL)

Comment

Hell no.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Given the cost of living in DC, you are already heading well up the list there, sir. If your point is something other than "congressmen are paid too well / not enough", fine, but if that is the relevant point of interest you can't very well exclude those things (which are not actually excluded in RL)
                  If we aren't paying them a salary, then the consequence is that they need to have the basics covered, such as a place to say in Washington, and for their travel expenses back and forth.

I'm thinking a place a maybe 1k a month or so to stay.

Comment

Would we be able to post on poly while "on the job"?

I'd do it for free. I doubt I'd accomplish much, but hopefully I would be the first person to ask a knock-knock joke on the House floor.

Comment

And I think Congressmen should work from cubicles in an office building.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

If we aren't paying them a salary, then the consequence is that they need to have the basics covered, such as a place to say in Washington, and for their travel expenses back and forth.

I'm thinking a place a maybe 1k a month or so to stay.
                        You're not thinking hard enough then if you want them to live in DC. 1K a month isn't going to cut it ... and anyhow that puts it well above your lowest few levels anyway.

Anyhow, be honest with us and actually make your point rather than pretending you didn't post this for a reason...

Comment

Singapore pays their government reps a fortune by American standards -- the prime minister makes about USD$4 million a year, iirc. The logic is that they are competing with the private sector for talent, and so have to offer competitive wages; otherwise, they'll get second-raters, encourage corruption, or both.

Me, I already work for the government for peanuts, so I'd do that as a congressman too.
                          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                            You're not thinking hard enough then if you want them to live in DC. 1K a month isn't going to cut it ... and anyhow that puts it well above your lowest few levels anyway
                            BK is clearly saying that the pay ($'s in the poll) is on top of living/moving/job related expenses which would be provided for.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
                              The logic is that they are competing with the private sector for talent, and so have to offer competitive wages; otherwise, they'll get second-raters, encourage corruption, or both.
                              They've got a point!
                              Unbelievable!

Comment

Working...
                              X