No announcement yet.

Should People be paid for being "On Call?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

without knowing more about the case I'd have to say yes.

Comment

It's considered work for me, of course, I and others in who I work with aren't payed by the hour.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

And private contracts affects it how? On Call is On Call.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

yes, people should get paid for being on call. employer is getting a benefit and employee is losing time.
          My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar
            Shouldn't this just be up to individuals when they make decisions about hiring/taking jobs?
            That's the argument; does this qualify for labor law protection (where things like minimum wage apply) or is it not technically work and thus anything can apply? You cannot voluntarily work for less than minimum wage, so it's not just a one sided thing; labor laws apply both ways
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I'm torn. I'm all for workers getting paid everything due them. On the other hand, this is the job they agreed to take. Also, if this is like most apartment manager jobs I've seen, they're living in the complex rent-free -- so, in a sense, they are already being paid to be in their apartment.
              "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

As a person who has to take call, yes I would like to get paid for it. The Supreme Court has taken quite a few liberties with the health care industry. Did you know that Nursing Assistants who work in a "home" or "home health" inviornment do not qualify for anything except minimum wage and we also do not qualify to receive overtime so when I'm working 120 hours every two weeks I"m not getting time and a half. You would think that the people who take care of your loved ones you would want them compensated so that they would want to do a good job.
                Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
                Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
                Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
                You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

The thought of career change comes to mind. Upgrade or move on.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Tiamat
                    As a person who has to take call, yes I would like to get paid for it. The Supreme Court has taken quite a few liberties with the health care industry. Did you know that Nursing Assistants who work in a "home" or "home health" inviornment do not qualify for anything except minimum wage and we also do not qualify to receive overtime so when I'm working 120 hours every two weeks I"m not getting time and a half. You would think that the people who take care of your loved ones you would want them compensated so that they would want to do a good job.
                    That sucks -- but is that the Supreme Court, or is that just the way Congress and/or the Texas legislature wrote the compensation laws?
                    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I'm on call as I sit here.

$1.875 an hour, or $15 every 8 hour shift on call.

The Mrs., who works at the same hospital, makes $2.50 and hour, or $20 per shift.

We also get 1 hour of "travel time", they pay you for the time it takes you to get to work when called.

ACK!
                      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Shut up suckface
                        Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
                        Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
                        Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
                        You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

$1.875 an hour, or $15 every 8 hour shift on call.
                          Wow that's alot of money to sit and post on poly.

Lucky stiff.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

They also gave me, yesterday, a 52" HDTV.

They had to clear a floor our for construction and the TV was up there.

ACK!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Wow that's alot of money to sit and post on poly.

Lucky stiff.
                              It's not nearly as much as they paid me when I could get on Poly there.

ACK!

Comment

Originally posted by Richelieu
                                I'm on call for a week every 4 weeks. I get paid 1.8 hours extra per day during the week and 2 hours extra over the weekend. It's good money and i rarely get called, but on the other hand i can't go out of town, have to be able to get back to my laptop and on the VPN within 30 minutes of getting paged and within 1 hour drive of the office.
                                Richelieu 00 When you're on call, are you on call for 8 hours/day, 24 hours/day, or something else?

While this is a private contract, there are minimum wage laws, and so the parties cannot agree to $0 per hour -- if the employee is "working." Here, the Court essentially is saying employees are not working while they are on call.

I like the suggestions of some here who say that the employee should get a percentage of the base salary. So people like the plaintiff here or like Tiamat gets some money for being available, even though they are not performing their usual duties. That seems more fair.

Comment

Working...
                                X