• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CanPol: Mooooo

Albertans re-elect historic 11th straight Tory government

Progressive Conservatives gain 12 more seats, increase popular support
    Last Updated: Monday, March 3, 2008 | 10:57 PM MT
    CBC News

Despite an apparent appetite for change, voters in Alberta stuck with the tried-and-true, giving the Progressive Conservative party an unprecedented 11th consecutive majority government.

The Tories, who started their political dynasty in 1971, were leading or elected in 71 of 83 ridings in Monday night's provincial election and increased their share of the popular vote by about six per cent from the last election in 2004.

About half an hour after the polls closed, Conservative Leader Ed Stelmach gave an acceptance speech to supporters in Calgary.

"In this election, Albertans had a real choice and it was Progressive Conservative," he said to the cheering crowd. "We have shown we're not afraid to tackle tough issues. We're not afraid to lead.

"As Progressive Conservatives, we can be very proud of our accomplishments, proud of our record and in this election, we've shown we have new ideas, new energy, new leadership for a new century."

Political analyst Bruce Cameron said Stelmach's victory was "spectacular," highlighting that the rookie leader is on his way to more seats than former premiers Don Getty or Ralph Klein garnered, and at a level not seen since the days of Peter Lougheed.

Driven by the booming oilsands, the province is grappling with major growth pressures, including a lack of affordable housing and aging infrastructure, as well as balancing environmental concerns with the massive oilsands developments.

The results Monday night signal that voters are willing to let the Tories continue to manage the province's prosperity, and to give leader Ed Stelmach the chance to prove he can bring change to Alberta, despite the fact that his party has governed the province for almost four decades.

Stelmach took over from brash former premier Ralph Klein in December 2006 and has tried to distinguish himself as a measured politician who can engineer a plan for the province's future.

"Whether they just trust Ed, or they see Ed as an honest, trustworthy man, or that Ed is in charge, this is a huge victory for him and to be able to hold Calgary and to wipe out the Liberals in Edmonton, he's really put his stamp on the province," said political scientist Duane Bratt.

"This is a monumental victory for Ed Stelmach."

Support for Alberta Liberals collapses
    The extent of the Conservative victory stunned the Alberta Liberals, led by Kevin Taft, who are on the way to losing more than half of their 16 legislative seats, led by a collapse in their traditional base of support in Edmonton.

The NDP also suffered a blow Monday night, losing two of their four seats, including one in Edmonton held by former leader Ray Martin.

The Alberta Greens increased their popular vote by two per cent over their 2004 election results, but failed again to elect their first-ever MLA in the province, as well as in Canada.

The Wildrose Alliance will not be represented in the legislature as leader Paul Hinman lost a tight race to retain the party's single seat in southern Alberta.

Various polls showed anywhere from 20 to 45 per cent of voters were undecided during a campaign that saw few sparks.

Turnout in Alberta elections has fallen steadily from 60.2 per cent of eligible voters in 1993 to 44.7 per cent in the 2004 campaign that former premier Ralph Klein called "boring."

"Based on these results, it would be hard to imagine a lot of people staying home," Bratt said Monday night.

When the election was called, the Progressive Conservatives had 60 seats in the legislature, the Liberals 16, the NDP four and the Wildrose Alliance one, with one Independent and one vacant seat.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Tough province to be a Liberal.

Looks like Ed did better than expected. I was hearing "He's not Ralph" and predictions of a low turnout.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

It was low turnout, but it looks like most undecideds broke for the Tories.

The Liberals did not run a good campaign, and the other serious threat (Wildrose) failed to get any traction.

The feeling was that many or most people were looking for a change, but nothing on offer impressed.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Ralph for President

<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Comment

Votes:

Seats:

First past the post.
            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
              It was low turnout, but it looks like most undecideds broke for the Tories.

The Liberals did not run a good campaign, and the other serious threat (Wildrose) failed to get any traction.

The feeling was that many or most people were looking for a change, but nothing on offer impressed.
              How many more decades will the Liberals have to carry the NEP baggage? What will it take to finally bring an end to Conservative governments in Alberta?

The Tory reign in Ontario (42 years iirc) was ended when Bill Davis extended full funding to Catholic high schools in the 80's. It was terribly unpopular and finally broke The Machine. Strangely John Tory thought a similar idea (fully funding religious schools) would propell the Conservatives to victory in the last vote. Doh!
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Leo - Sad isn't it.

Comment

Yes, very sad.

The WAP and Greens had 12 percent combined, and the NDP had 9, and the NDP gets two seats, while the other two get none?

That's totally unfair.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                    Yes, very sad.

The WAP and Greens had 12 percent combined, and the NDP had 9, and the NDP gets two seats, while the other two get none?

That's totally unfair.
                    Why are you grouping WAP and Green together specifically?
                    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

The interesting debate between FPPP and proportional rep, is similar to the US electoral college - does the parliament represent the individual districts, or does it represent the entire nation as a whole?

If it represents individual districts, then FPPP is clearly correct. If I live in a district that is ~60% Party A, I expect a Party A representative.

The compromise that could be used is to apportion multiple representatives to each district, but unless you have a very large number of representatives, it's not going to end up being appropriately proportional - in fact, with 2 reps/district it will tend to favor the *smaller* party. For example, in the above case, you'd have 1 A and 1 B, which would mean a 50-50 split; if the entire nation followed this trend, you'd have a 50/50 house representing a 60/40 nation - not any better than the above, frankly. 3 would tend to favor the larger party unless they got 70%-85% of the vote (they'd consistently get 2:1, a 66-33 split); 4 is the first one that would tend to not favor any one party too much. However, by this point your parliament is sort of silly - either you have a parliament of like 1000 members, or you have districts so large as to lose any value of having districts.

Of course, if your parliament is intended to represent the entire nation and not the districts, then you would want a prop-rep system, as many nations have; but this loses the local representation, which has significant advantages, particularly in large countries.

For example, in the US, if you have difficulty in government, you call your (state/US) representative and ask for help getting through whatever red tape is causing you trouble. District representatives also tend to help along the members of their districts with political careers (or otherwise), giving internships to their residents and speaking at local schools, etc. This means that under-represented groups (such as inner city kids) have a chance to participate in government. In a national election system where there is no local representation, this almost certainly would not occur, and underprivileged or minority groups would lose some ability to participate (including, for example, electing one of their own to congress/parliament).

Which system is right varies by the country - clearly Norway or Sweden have very different concerns than the US or Canada. Don't simply dismiss FPPP without understanding the benefits it provides, though
                      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Why are you grouping WAP and Green together specifically?
                        It's the logical extension of your argument.

I don't see why you would have a problem awarding a seat to the WAP.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Snoopy - There has been a movement for change in our electoral system. At least two provinces (BC and Ont) have put prop-rep on the last election ballot as referendum questions. You point out important issues to consider but FPTP skews heavily in favour of the two main parties which is why it is being challenged here. Smaller parties find it near impossible to gain traction when they can never be heard.

Comment

Honestly, I oppose the prop rep system. All the proponents I have spoken to see it as a way to remove seats from rural areas.

They don't seem to understand that prop rep works best in urban areas.

I'd support a mixed plan, where the cities in the GVRD had prop rep, and everywhere else had fptp. But of course, that's not what the proponents want.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

It's the logical extension of your argument.

I don't see why you would have a problem awarding a seat to the WAP.
                              Um, because they didn't get a plurality in any riding?
                              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Working...
                              X