Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toshiba to officially drop HD DVD within weeks

Report: Toshiba to Drop HD DVD

The Hollywood Reporter is citing "reliable industry sources" as saying that Toshiba is on the verge of officially dropping its HD DVD format.

Though Toshiba denies that any such decision has been made, the just-published article in The Reporter points to "substantial" losses from each HD DVD player sold and a series of high-profile defections as key motivators for the company, with one unnamed source close to the HD DVD camp telling the Reporter that "an announcement is coming soon... it could be a matter of weeks."

Asked to respond to the report, Toshiba VP Jodi Sally reiterated her company's support of the HD DVD format. "Based on its technological advancements, we continue to believe HD DVD is the best format for consumers, given the value and consistent quality inherent in our player offerings," said Sally.

The exec went on to address "the market developments in the past month," saying only that "Toshiba will continue to study the market impact and the value proposition for consumers, particularly in light of our recent price reductions on all HD DVD players."

'twas a good fight, but it's time for just one.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

So now it'll be Bluray versus the mighty DVD.
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

I'm staying with DVD.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I loath DVD now.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Blue Ray doesn't have the same selection and by the time it does a new format will come along.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

It's not mutually exclusive.

It plays DVDs, too. When you can get a DVD in bluray or HD DVD, you go for it. Else, DVD.

It's amazing with Zip.ca. DVD didn't have the selection as VHS either when it came out.

Comment

Tough to say. Could be FUD. Seems unlikely, but you never know.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                It's not mutually exclusive.

It plays DVDs, too. When you can get a DVD in bluray or HD DVD, you go for it. Else, DVD.
                Yes, I agree with that. Unfortunately at this point I have most of the readily available stuff and am down to the hard to find stuff. These things are unlikely too appear on Blue Ray anytime soon. On the other hand the new releases that I pick up will be...

It's amazing with Zip.ca. DVD didn't have the selection as VHS either when it came out.
                I never collected on VHS as the format just wasn't durable enough. I hate having to replace stuff.

Comment

I think it seems quite likely...why unlikely?

Comment

B/c it took years for it to make it to DVD. I'm still waiting on some...

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil

Yes, I agree with that. Unfortunately at this point I have most of the readily available stuff and am down to the hard to find stuff. These things are unlikely too appear on Blue Ray anytime soon. On the other hand the new releases that I pick up will be...
                      Have you checked out zip.ca?

They've got 72,000 DVDs to choose from. I got tons of obscure stuff there. They also do Bluray/HD DVD where available.

Comment

B/c it took years for it to make it to DVD. I'm still waiting on some...
                        Referring to Dan's post about it being unlikely HD DVD pulled out.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Have you checked out zip.ca?

They've got 72,000 DVDs to choose from. I got tons of obscure stuff there. They also do Bluray/HD DVD where available.
                          I will check.

examples:

Network (1976) only came to DVD last year

At Play in the Fields of the Lord (1991) still waiting

Comment

Network is on Blue Ray, but I already have it on DVD

No copy of At Play

Comment

I will check.

examples:

Network (1976) only came to DVD last year

Zip has both editions of it:
                              http://www.zip.ca/Browse/title.aspx?f=titleId(114806)&NavSource=MemberSearch

http://www.zip.ca/Browse/title.aspx?f=titleId(157194)&NavSource=MemberSearch

Comment

Working...
                              X