Phear the mighty German Navy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patroklos
    Honestly, just watching that makes me nauseous. Seeing a ship in from of you like that, or visa versa is every OODs nightmare.
    Ood?

Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

"Message: You are all going to die."
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

KMS Bismarck

Comment

This is a really bad map but it does have the basics correct. The battle of Jutland in 1916 was the world's largest naval battle until WW2 and it's history is an interesting read.

HMS Royal Oak fires on German ships during the battle of Jutland.

Torrent on HMS Lion after the battle of Jutland. German ships tended to be better armored.

The Battle Cruiser SMS Seydlitz returning to port damaged after the Battle of Jutland. Notice ship is listing to one side.

Comment

Great pics. Got more?
            Long time member @ Apolyton
            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Here a link to a german page with some pics and a movie about the battle (in germany called the "Seeschlacht am Skagerrak"):
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Great old maps of europe, before the wars.

Great link. Makes me regret that I don't speak or read German, for the hundredth time.

Comment

The Battle Cruiser KMS Scharnhorst.

Comment

Lost with the Gnesneau (sp) wasn't she? I read somewhere years ago that they were very unlucky ships.

Comment

Given the amazing success of the channel run, I will have to disagree with you
                      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

The thing is that they were faster than half of the britsh fleet... the half that could harm them at least

Scharnhorst I believe went down in a similar way as the Bismark did. Hit by torpedos and killed of by an armada of Britisch ships.
                        "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Well that was their apparent purpose; outrun, what you can't outgun and vice versa.

Comment

She was finished off with torpedoes, but the HMS Duke of York did the heavy lifting with her guns in the Battle of the Norht Cape.
                            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                              Lost with the Gnesneau (sp) wasn't she? I read somewhere years ago that they were very unlucky ships.
                              Scharnhorst was sunk by the RN, Gneisenau was damaged in action, but survived until 1945. However, in spring 45 she was scuttled to block the harbour entry of Gdynia (German name Gotenhafen back then) in Poland.

Both Scharnhorst and her sister Gneisenau are often referred to as battleships, they were big enough, but lighter armed, so as Oerdin wrote others label them battle cruisers instead of battleships.
                              Blah

Comment

And of course all we know, that nobody outside of HoI titled them "KMS".

Comment

Working...
                                X