The Point of Getting Married.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Point of Getting Married.

I have, for a very long time, stood by my belief that marriage is no longer relevant.

Now, I am not smart enough to give a list of words to back up my theory, so I will just blabber instead and hope that you all can understand my points.

My theory is, that marriage was at one time in history, long ago, a ceremony to join two people together (female and male), and the people of the tribe were witnesses to that and it was seen as taboo to intefere with that. Perhaps because men tend to look and want, there needed to be some control, some kind of authority; and religion really helps to back that up.

Anyway, we have come out of those woods now and entered a shrinking world of cultures and free-thinkers, understanding the biology better all around us - which can make us think that the world is a brutal but amazing place - and that can make us think the world sucks but lets all just live just because we are curious what is around the corner.

-- half way through the blabber --

On to marriage -

1. Why have divorces gone up? I believe it is the sum of many things, absence of religion, wanting to be a free-thinker, accepting individuality, career choices, the law is scary for men (the law generally sides women), men are afraid of committment (because most men don't see having kids as their life long dream, but landing on the moon, discovering cure for cancer, winning gold olympic medals, is; which, unfortunately causes depression, which leads to mid-life crisis, which we get a lot, and it probably never existed before 1950.)

But I still believe in love, companionship with one person, it is the natural human way.. or is it? Women seem to have a natural instinct to look after babies/children, even if they are not their own. This is a common trait found in mammals.

And instinctively again, men don't like to have other men around their women (or even women that aren't their's, but they have interest in).

So, taking out culture and religion, I believe a family can live and survive quite happily with 1 man 2 or more women, and many children.

Ok I am sick of typing now, all I wanted to say is that marriage is no longer needed, if you love someone, you can live with that one person for the rest of your life, have children, etc, nothing bad will happen to you, you won't suddenly burst into flames and die. Everything will be fine.

Women will tell you it's about status, but honestly, who really cares about status? Do you care that someone got married? Do you care that his title is "Dr" or "Professor". Humans are naturally selfish, status is a bull**** reason to get married.

P.S. I was in no way effected by divorce or other related matters, I simply witness things around me coz I hate listening and love looking.

Yep
    27.78%
    Nope
    66.67%
    Banana
    5.56%
    be free

I think you're a little confused as to the origin of marriage.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

But its ok Lorizael, I make things up to back up my beliefs. That's why its good to be a free-thinker.

Hmmmmmmmmmm......so in reality.. Christians are actually free thinkers...
      be free

Comment

I think you're definition of free thinker is a little off.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Free Thinker means to think whatever I want.

For example, it allows me to create my own opinion of what free thinker means.

Sucks to be you.
          be free

Comment

Ah, it means you're a jerk. I understand now. Have fun.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

You're not allowed to think that, you're a Catholic.

Now you get the drift
              be free

Comment

Marriage is much like a nice tub bath. Once you've been in it for a very short while, it's not so hot anymore.

Comment

It's certainly irrelevant to celibates.

But I think that in general, COMMITMENT is extremely relevant.

Whether that comes in the form of a formal marriage or not, is largely irrelevant. Although it is very nice to formalize commitment.

I will say, that if to the participants, the marriage ceremony carries no symbolic meaning, then it is irrelevant also, but if it carries symbolic meaning, then that meaning, is relevant.

Comment

No, I think marriage is very relevant, but I have some ideas that people think are old fashioned.

I think it's good for people to have a counterpart and a soulmate that they spend the rest of their days with them. That to me is what a marriage is about. We have so many arrangements these days that are 'almost marriage', that we sometimes forget what marriage is for.

The comment about individuality is interesting. I agree marriage is supposed to be two people becoming one together, and that it requires both partners to give up things that they are used to doing. The reward is to have that connection, both in body and spirit. Not everyone is willing to share that, or give up the things they love for this kind of connection.

For the most part I see people's lives in this modern world as very lonely, except for short spurts where they have that connection. Marriage is very relevant in giving that long lasting lifelong connection that we all crave for in one way or another.

I'm not married, but I do know what I'm looking for. I want it to be that lifelong companionship with someone I cannot live without otherwise.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Dammit, I read the question hastily, meant to vote Nope.

There are legal reasons why marriage is important. If you don't want to be on life support, a spouse can unplug you, a partner may not be able to (legally speaking, that is). If there's no will, a spouse will inherit, a partner will not. There are custodial ramifications for children, if one spouse is the parent and the other isn't, and the parent dies.

The last is particularly relevant for gay couples (assuming no marraige allowed), if the parent dies, the grandparents (or other biological family) could take custody, since the other partner, while acting as a true parent, has no legal standing as such.

There are probably lots of other legal reasons. I am for gay marriage, as I think partners should be able to handle all the legal responsibilities a husband or wife does.
                      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                      Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                      One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Marriage is largely relevant from a financial point of view still, and has some relevance in terms of identifying a stage in life - you identify that you're ready to move on and have kids, and leave the single bachelor/ess phase, by getting married.
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

My first marriage was one of lust and immaturity.

Sex was what brought us along with yourth

no intimate connection outside of that, no basusis./.

Lasted somewhwere 1-1.5 years.

Me and my sweetie, my best friend and best buddy, Sweetpea, ak.a. Mrs. Trioll have been together 23 years. Marriedn 22 of them.

My committment is not soley with the ring or the paper, but with my heart.

Legally, we chose to be marriedn.

Spiritually, which came after, since I didnt know Christ.

Ups and downs early led to a very solid and extremely intimate life we now share as one.

I love my sweetheart, and she shows me how to love more deeply and has taught me compassion and commitment.

Thanks God she stood by me during my bad times.

I am in awe of her, she is my everythang!!!!!

Graspms
                          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Working...
                          X