Bye, bye Fred Thompson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bye, bye Fred Thompson

Wasn't doing all that well, but a lot of his support probably would have flocked to Huckabee otherwise. This definately helps out Huckabee's campaign, and maybe even Romney's a bit. McCain's campaign is not liking this at all.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Thompson, Huckabee, and Romney . . . .

all the same, in being *******s.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Good news for the Democrats. Best news for them all year.

I don't but the NYT analysis that the support going to Fred is going to go to Huckabee. Those who are still with him seem more like fans of McCain.

He had to beat McCain in South Carolina, he didn't so he's out. Thompson wasn't hurt so much by Huckabee, but by McCain.

The thing about Fred is he drew support from all the other groups. The folks who liked Huckabee liked Fred, McCain's folks were closer to Fred, Romney's folks were closer to Fred, then anyone else. If you draw a bubble, you have Fred in the middle and all the other candidates on the outside.

Three questions now.

1. What happens to RudyG? With Thompson out that helps McCain and Huckabee was already leading. What happens if he finishes fourth behind McCain, Huckabee and Romney in Florida? What happens if he finishes even worse, like 5th behind Ron Paul?
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
        Thompson, Huckabee, and Romney . . . .

all the same, in being *******s.
        Not quite. Huckabee recognizes a role for the government to play in ameliorating the suffering of the poor. He takes his Christianity seriously and doesn't ignore the parts about the meek inheriting the Earth and as you do to the least of my brothers, so do you do to me. We could definitely do a lot worse as far a GOP candidates go. This is why the business wing of the party hates him.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
          Good news for the Democrats. Best news for them all year.
          So the fact that independents have overwhelmingly votes for Democrats in the primaries isn't better news? The fact that some 2nd rate actor and third rate politician who has been stumbling around like the Frankenstein monster on roller skates is the best news the liberal wing of the bourgeoisie has had all year? You need to get out of whatever Nediverse you're in.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I wonder if Giuliani's eventual departure will help McCain? It probably would be too late, unless McCain is still in a very closs race post-Super Tuesday, but I imagine he'd take more votes from McCain than from Huckabee; though he might have some overlap with Romney.
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

So the fact that independents have overwhelmingly votes for Democrats in the primaries isn't better news? The fact that some 2nd rate actor and third rate politician who has been stumbling around like the Frankenstein monster on roller skates is the best news the liberal wing of the bourgeoisie has had all year? You need to get out of whatever Nediverse you're in.
              Yes, because it means that there is going to be a nominee that a significant proportion of the Republican party has serious policy issues.

Huckabee isn't fiscally conservative, and as I am sure you are well aware, scores the worst against the Democrats, which is why you are rooting for him. You don't see me commentating on the best candidate for the democrats, since I'm sure my advice would be construed the same way.

Your endorsement of Huckabee is like a kiss of death Che. I was going to say he was my number two and now I'm not so sure.

I'm debating whether it's McCain, even though he already lost, or Ron Paul. It's not Romney or RudyG. They are out for me.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

I was listening to talk radio this morning (someone changed teh radio station on my alarm clock ) and they made it seem as if all Republicans hate McCain. Why?
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Yes, because it means that there is going to be a nominee that a significant proportion of the Republican party has serious policy issues.
                  Thompson hasn't had a shot in hell after he stumbled out of the starting gate last year. The longer he stayed in, the more he was embarrassing himself. He wasn't going to be the GOP nominee, and even if he was, he might be able to beat Kucinich, but that's about it. The only real dangers to the Democrats are themselves. The GOP's only hope is for the Democratic nominee to make a mistake.

As for disliking Huckabee because I "endorsed" him. It only shows what a lousy Christian you are. You're one of those Christians who don't follow your God's commands to help the poor.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                    I was listening to talk radio this morning (someone changed teh radio station on my alarm clock ) and they made it seem as if all Republicans hate McCain. Why?
                    His past misdeeds of dissing the Christians.

Comment

Thompson hasn't had a shot in hell after he stumbled out of the starting gate last year.
                      He was the best nominee, IMO, everyone's second choice. The only knock against him is that he didn't seem to 'want' it enough. Frankly I liked him more for that, I would trust a reluctant leader then I would someone who's spent their entire lives leading up for the moment.

The only real dangers to the Democrats are themselves. The GOP's only hope is for the Democratic nominee to make a mistake.
                      That's pretty arrogant.

As for disliking Huckabee because I "endorsed" him. It only shows what a lousy Christian you are. You're one of those Christians who don't follow your God's commands to help the poor.
                      I'm suspicious when a communist is praising a nominee no matter who he is. It makes me wonder why, and yes, I am aware that Huckabee polls the worst against the Democrats. I'm sorry Che, I don't trust your advice when it comes to Republicans just as you wouldn't trust my endorsement of any Democrats.

Comment

For me it's that Gang of 14 deal that has me worried about McCain.

Comment

Yes, I'm just like Charles Winchester handing out the tin of caviar and making a big show of it when the bag comes around.

Comment

That's pretty arrogant.
                            Considering I'm not a Democrat, I fail to see how recognizing the utter mess the GOP has made of the United States won't hand the Presidency to the Democratic Party, along with a more secure majority in the House and Senate, and problem in many state governments as well. Unless Clinton puts her foot in her mouth (given that she's no where near as savvy as her husband, it's quite the possibility) or something equally offensive to independents is said by another, the GOP doesn't have a prayer in 2008.

The other possibility is that the Greens mount a strong ticket and the Democratic base, which is furious with the Democratic leadership right now, decides to teach the Dems a lesson they can't ignore, handing the government back to the GOP by voting Green.

I'm suspicious when a communist is praising a nominee no matter who he is. It makes me wonder why, and yes, I am aware that Huckabee polls the worst against the Democrats. I'm sorry Che, I don't trust your advice when it comes to Republicans just as you wouldn't trust my endorsement of any Democrats.
                            I don't recall advising anyone or endorsing anyone. I simply told MrFun that Huckabee wasn't like the other Republicans and that we could certainly do a lot worse. I am completely opposed to his social conservatism, but at least life for the worst off in America would ease slightly.

Ron Paul hasn't a shot in hell. And if he did, his Presidency following on Bush's would be the sign that the American Empire is finally beginning to implode. That he would begin to try and dismantle American imperialism is why he won't be elected. Guilliani's campaign is fatally wounded, I suspect. That leaves the GOP with a Mormon, whom the conservative Evangelicals won't vote for and the Evangelic who takes all of Christ's admonitions to heart, not just the ones that serve business.

Comment

Thompson was always a nonissue. He simply didn't do enough retail politicking, and his constituency was split between Huckabee and Romney. In SC, his role was stand-in for McCain more than anyone else (i.e. helping him scoot past Huckabee).

As for Huck, he talks a good game on economics, but his policies are as reactionary as the rest of them. See the "fair tax" (a national 30% sales tax). And he's a fundie...
                              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                              -Bokonon

Comment

Working...
                              X