No announcement yet.

No news on Israel-Palestine stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Siro, whats your take on that - can Olmert survive?
    he's a tough and smart politician
    he thought he had the coalition in his pocket, cause he did lots of ground work and "bought" everyone.

but right now as the report approaches, the prices for keeping peace keep rising, plus everyone are preparing to justify why they stay in the government.

Btw, the anti-Olmert right wingers are well on their way with a "grass roots" campaign, sadly using unsuspecting soldier families, who demand Olmert to go home.

Tho political pro's, I hope, it is clear the campaign is only half-genuine and spun by people with election motives.

It is quite sad, actually, but Israel's history is filled with politicians playing the public against other politicians, often at the cost of Israel's stability and well being.

Be it the Mapai intensifying reports of Deir Yassin to tar Irgun, or the Israeli left creating political turmoil over the first Lebanon war in 1982, which was totally uncalled for.

Comment

LOTM - a hebrew article for you

נתניהו רוצה להאמין שדו"ח וינוגרד ישלח את אולמרט הביתה. לכן לבש השבוע מעטה של שלום ותוכניות כלכליות. אולמרט מצידו פוזל למרכז וימינה, כדי לנער את תדמית "השמאלן הוותרן". אבל שניהם יודעים: רוב הקלפים בידיו של ברק. שישה ימים לדו"ח וינוגרד

Comment

LOTM, exactly, you'd get laughed at. That was the point.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
          LOTM - a hebrew article for you

http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-3498274,00.html
          you seem to have forgotten my pitiful language skills.

Anyway, peace is coming

And the Ivy League also knows peace is coming (these guys sing better, I think)

Last edited by lord of the mark; January 25, 2008, 23:10.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Yay!
            uh.................

What does "hinei ba ha'shalom" mean?
            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

An old woman tried to sell me za'atar today. She claimed it was smuggled out of Occupied Palestine and the proceeds went back to a woman's organisation. She said it was an essential arab seasoning (I was in a cookery shop) and great on bread, salads and meat.

The ingredients list said it was thyme and lemon zest.
              Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
              -Richard Dawkins

Comment

za'atar is wonderful on a pita or with hummus or with labane.

Comment

but its still just mixed herbs. I'm not sure why I'd have to pay for smuggled food items I can buy in any supermarket.
                  Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                  -Richard Dawkins

Comment

why because someone claimed it goes to a gaza charity.... or ****...

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                      Yay!
                      uh.................

What does "hinei ba ha'shalom" mean?
                      See here (hinei = Voici) peace is coming.

Here comes peace.

Here Kaskeset, the a capella group from SUNY Binghampton (who have performed at our shul in Alexandria) perform "Shir la shalom" the song that was sung in Kikar Malchei Israel (square of the kings of Israel - now known as kikar Rabin) at the rally the night Rabin was martyred for peace.

And here is the same song being sung at Kikar Rabin this past November, on the 12 anniversary (yahrtzeit) of Rabins death.

Last edited by lord of the mark; January 26, 2008, 19:21.
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

LOTM you kill the thread

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov

greek empire - antiouchus epiphanes fought a small jewish rebellion which sort of succeeded and gave us the holiday of hannuka,
                          It was only the Seleucid Empire ruled over by Antiochus.

the byzantine empire was quite nasty to jews
                          It was at times. However, it was the Muslim Turks who ended the empires of Byzantium and Trebizond, and neither empire had seriously attempted to extinguish Judaism or the Jewish people.

and the soviet union, starting with stalin's doctors' trials,
                          Let us not forget that the Soviet Union also set up a Jewish homeland/Soviet, and recognised the State of Israel.

za'atar is wonderful on a pita or with hummus or with labane.
                          It is indeed.

That's quite true, didn't the Japonese even try to lure the Jews who settled there into their territory?
                          I seem to recall reading an article about the Fugu plan...

Yup:

The Fugu Plan: The Untold Story of the Japanese and the Jews During World War Two [Tokayer, Marvin, Swartz, Mary] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. The Fugu Plan: The Untold Story of the Japanese and the Jews During World War Two

One of the more bizarre manifestations of post-war Japanese nationalism has been a rise in Japanese antisemitism, oddly enough.

I just don't know why you can't all get along like good Christians... (to quote, apocryphally ? an American diplomat in Cairo)
                          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                            The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                            The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom
                              It was only the Seleucid Empire ruled over by Antiochus.
                              a) do you see them around?

b) I quote myself from a page earlier:
                              the most famous confrontation between Greeks and Jews was the Maccabean Revolt of 167-164 B.C.E. The Seleucid king Antiochus IV imposed Greek religious customs [...]The Jewish revolt, led by the Hasmonean Judas Maccabee, defeated the Seleucid armies and recaptured the temple.

Let us not forget that the Soviet Union also set up a Jewish homeland/Soviet, and recognised the State of Israel.
                              regarding the 1st part - if you're talking about a jewish state in siberia it was part of the relocation plan pretext.
                              the recognition of israel was real politic, cause they thought we'd be pro-commies.

Comment

and the soviet union, starting with stalin's doctors' trials,
                                My grandma was kicked out of medical school because of those. Then my aunt couldn't get in to medical school later on due to racism.
                                "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Working...
                                X