More Religious Nutters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Religious Nutters

REEVES, Louisiana - A small village in southwest Louisiana is finally getting its wish: to rid itself of a telephone prefix often associated with the devil or the Antichrist.

Starting this month, residents and businesses can change the first three digits of their phone numbers from 666 to 749. Mayor Scott Walker said he has made the change on his phone.

"It's been a 40-year battle" he said, counting at least four failed attempts.

Reeves has three churches - two Bible and one Baptist - and fewer than 450 homes. "This boils down to, this is a very, very religious community," Walker said.

It all began with Revelation 13:18 in the Bible: "This calls for wisdom: let him who has understanding reckon the number of the beast, for it is a human number, its number is six hundred and sixty-six."

The beast is also known as the Antichrist, according to some apocalyptic theories.

"It's been a black eye for our town, a stigma," Walker said. "I don't think it's anything bad on us, just an image."

The mayor said he worked with the phone company, CenturyTel, and the state Public Service Commission among others to make the change.

"This is a good town. ... We're good Christian people," Walker said.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

What's so nutty about that? Even if they weren't devoutly religious, they'd probably get sick of stupid jokes directed at them because of it. The only reason to want that prefix is if you're a LaVeyan or part of a death metal band or something like that.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

It's only a number Elok. Nothing sinister unless you are a superstitious boob.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I wouldn't want it.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I'd kill for such a prefix
          Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
          Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
          Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

The article doesn't imply (to me) that there's any superstition involved. They just said they don't like the image associations. Kinda like they wouldn't want to live on "Pol Pot Boulevard," or drive to work in a Chevy Babyraper.
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
              I wouldn't want it.
              Do you stay home on Friday the 13th as well?

Avoid black cats?

Pinch of salt over the shoulder?

Superstitions.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                The article doesn't imply (to me) that there's any superstition involved. They just said they don't like the image associations. Kinda like they wouldn't want to live on "Pol Pot Boulevard," or drive to work in a Chevy Babyraper.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Pol Pot and Chevies are both REAL.

Comment

Originally posted by Saras
                    I'd kill for such a prefix

Next time you're in NYC, check this out:

"A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I don't think black cats, salt or Friday 13th is mentioned in the Bible. I might be wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                        I don't think black cats, salt or Friday 13th is mentioned in the Bible. I might be wrong though.
                        salt is mentioned in the bible, for sure. More than once
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

Next time you're in NYC, check this out:

http://www.thecityreview.com/fifth666.html

I lived on the 13th floor of an apartment building before. Named the 14th Floor of course.

Comment

The article doesn't imply (to me) that there's any superstition involved.
                            "This is a good town. ... We're good Christian people," Walker said.
                            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

salt is mentioned in the bible, for sure. More than once

Ok. I wasn't specific. Salt, as relates to tossing over one's shoulder after spilling.

Is that better, Sparky?

Comment

Working...
                              X