Big Brother is watching you: The 2007 International Privacy Ranking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Brother is watching you: The 2007 International Privacy Ranking

In March 2020 we rebuilt our website. Some links got broken, and some content didn't make it over. We are very sorry about that and are working to bring content back online. There are a few options for you:
    Attached Files
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

MarkG is teh safest of us all
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I have to say, having Africa as a leading upholder of human rights, is crap.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

It looks like most of Africa is not rated actually.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Grey = no data
          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

It seems that things are getting worse and worse. For example, Canada was dark green last year.

Summary of key findings

(Please note that "worst ranking" and "lowest ranking" denotes countries that exhibit poor privacy performance and high levels of surveillance.

* The 2007 rankings indicate an overall worsening of privacy protection across the world, reflecting an increase in surveillance and a declining performance o privacy safeguards.
            * Concern over immigration and border control dominated the world agenda in 2007. Countries have moved swiftly to implement database, identity and fingerprinting systems, often without regard to the privacy implications for their own citizens
            * The 2007 rankings show an increasing trend amongst governments to archive data on the geographic, communications and financial records of all their citizens and residents. This trend leads to the conclusion that all citizens, regardless of legal status, are under suspicion.
            * The privacy trends have been fueled by the emergence of a profitable surveillance industry dominated by global IT companies and the creation of numerous international treaties that frequently operate outside judicial or democratic processes.
            * Despite political shifts in the US Congress, surveillance initiatives in the US continue to expand, affecting visitors and citizens alike.
            * Surveillance initiatives initiated by Brussels have caused a substantial decline in privacy across Europe, eroding protections even in those countries that have shown a traditionally high regard for privacy.
            * The privacy performance of older democracies in Europe is generally failing, while the performance of newer democracies is becoming generally stronger.
            * The lowest ranking countries in the survey continue to be Malaysia, Russia and China. The highest-ranking countries in 2007 are Greece, Romania and Canada.
            * The 2006 leader, Germany, slipped significantly in the 2007 rankings, dropping from 1st to 7th place behind Portugal and Slovenia.
            * In terms of statutory protections and privacy enforcement, the US is the worst ranking country in the democratic world. In terms of overall privacy protection the United States has performed very poorly, being out-ranked by both India and the Philippines and falling into the "black" category, denoting endemic surveillance.
            * The worst ranking EU country is the United Kingdom, which again fell into the "black" category along with Russia and Singapore. However for the first time Scotland has been given its own ranking score and performed significantly better than England & Wales.
            * Argentina scored higher than 18 of the 27 EU countries.
            * Australia ranks higher than Slovakia but lower than South Africa and New Zealand.
            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

heh, they're not sure if north korea is a surveilance society
              Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
              Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
              Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

our rating does not surprise me one bit.
                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Germany will be black next year too, thanks to the effort of the Merkel regime.

Comment

And yet people in Britain and the United States continue to insist that they are free countries.
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Ain't insisting that what governments do, not people?

Comment

Obviously Canada cannot be dark green because the Conservatives are in power now.

And the US will stop being black the instant the democrats win.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                          Obviously Canada cannot be dark green because the Conservatives are in power now.

And the US will stop being black the instant the democrats win.
                          It's not a conspiracy, Ben. The right are by their very nature the authoritarian party. There's scientific proof of this (by a Canadian no less).
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

It's not a conspiracy, Ben. The right are by their very nature the authoritarian party. There's scientific proof of this (by a Canadian no less).
                            There are plenty of authoritarians on the left, and libertarians on the right. The measure is useless when it is tainted by partisanship not by actual freedoms available to these nations.

I fail to see how Canada is more free then the US, when I will spend more then half of my working days to ensure that the appartatus continues to operate.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                              I fail to see how Canada is more free then the US
                              Are you seriously unaware of the Patriot act?
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X