Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it ok to wish people a "Happy New Year"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it ok to wish people a "Happy New Year"?

Let's say I wanted to start a thread tomorrow wishing y'all HNY, but I'm wondering whether that sounds rather eurocentrist, maybe even racist, certainly unPC, because people use different calendar systems which don't start a new year on what we know as Jan 1st.

Discuss.
    Blah

Then they need to get with the program. You're talking about commies, aren't you? Those damn commies. Want to mess everything up. Bunch of anarchists.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Saying happy new year is offensive! I'm offended you even asked if it was ok to say something so offensive.

"'Let there be light!' said God, and there was light.
      'Let there be blood!' says man, and there's a sea!"

Comment

Happy Chinese New Year!
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Happy New Year, FFS.

Comment

Why does everyone try and thrust "new and improved" things on us all the time. I mean what was wrong with the old year?
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Yes, it's OK. Say it loud, say it proud.

Happy New Year!
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

That's soo offensive. People should really have more respect for non-western calendars.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

It is also somehow elitist to wish a happy new year without thinking about those poor souls that, because of different timezones, still live in the old year.
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                    Then they need to get with the program. You're talking about commies, aren't you? Those damn commies. Want to mess everything up. Bunch of anarchists.
                    You're like a little child. You know NOTHING yet use such big words.

Comment

Speaking of commies...
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Last I heard, the Jews, Chinese, Mayans, etc. -- all those nations which had their own calendars -- had pretty much given in and adopted the Western calendar.

So Happy F*kng New Year

Comment

That's why I just tell everyone, "get bent".
                          APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Working...
                          X