No announcement yet.

Religious persecution in Great Britain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1) Why is this limited to North America? Demonstrating an incident in a region not dominated by Christianity is sufficient to disprove your statement. (edit: http://www.reporterassociati.org/mod...rticle&sid=252)

2) You claimed a link to Christianity, not religion in general.
    Last edited by Kuciwalker; December 23, 2007, 16:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

When by "subtle" you mean hidden context ,then yes, I'm not good at deciphering nonsense because I don't give it any effort.

Why don't you be a man and say what you mean.
      It was a simple easily understood comment, concerning the declared values of Christianity versus Christianity’s’ historical record. This was merely a secondary meaning however, what I meant to say is that homophobia is in the bible because it has its sociological uses. It doesn’t have sociological uses because its in the Bible and as such is in fact not limited to the Bible, but can be seen in nearly all of the related Middle Eastern cultures, at least one time in their history. In fact it has evolved independently in other cultures as well.
      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
        1) Why is this limited to North America? Demonstrating an incident in a region not dominated by Christianity is sufficient to disprove your statement.

Because that's the context I was speaking in. Christianity is obviously not the dominant religion in all regions.

So, if this is so easy, get up and do it. If you're just being anal, then good on you -- be proud.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Okay: http://www.reporterassociati.org/mod...rticle&sid=252

Comment

1) Why is this limited to North America? Demonstrating an incident in a region not dominated by Christianity is sufficient to disprove your statement.

My first thoughts exactly. The answer, naturally, is that Asher only knows of local examples from his immediate cultural surroundings which is understandable. What is frustrating is that he is using them in a argument that requires some further knowledge of other cultures.
            Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
            The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
            The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

That took me all of ten seconds with Google News, by the way.

Comment

Okay: http://www.reporterassociati.org/mod...rticle&sid=252
                Again, this is religious. It's also not the west.

As I have since clarified: I'm talking about the western world, the context of this thread as luck would have it.

That took me all of ten seconds with Google News, by the way.

Good show young padewan! Now see if you can do it correctly.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus

My first thoughts exactly. The answer, naturally, is that Asher only knows of local examples from his immediate cultural surroundings which is understandable. What is frustrating is that he is using them in a argument that requires some further knowledge of other cultures.
                  I'm doing it within the context of this thread. Once you and Kuci comprehend this -- which is inexcusable considering I've clarified this point-blank after -- we'll all be better off.

Comment

Again, this is religious. It's also not the west.

As I have since clarified: I'm talking about the western world, the context of this thread as luck would have it.
                    Actually the context of this thread is about Islam not Christianity.

More specificaly Islam in the West. Perhaps Christianity vs. Islam concerning their abuses of power. Anything beyond this is more or less threadjack.
                    Last edited by Heraclitus; December 23, 2007, 16:39.

Comment

Actually the context of this thread is about Islam not Christianity.
                      "in Great Britain"

has what to do with Iran.

I've clarified this POINT BLANK to ensure everyone knew exactly what I meant. For whatever reason, both you and Kuci are not recognizing that. Why don't you do everyone a favour and read what I wrote so we know exactly what is being discussed, and not misunderstandings.

Comment

"in Great Britain"

has what to do with Iran.
                        Same could be said of Christians in the US don't you agree?

Comment

Same could be said of Christians in the US don't you agree?
                          No, because the US and Britain have very similar cultures. They are Christian-dominated cultures.

Comment

No, because the US and Britain have very similar cultures. They are Christian-dominated cultures.
                            And the musilim immigrants have very similar cultures to those found in the Middle East.

If anything they feel alienated from most of Western culture, even hating it in some cases.

Comment

I would say that christian fundamentalism is more widespread in the USA than in GB (or most other european countries). So certain important differences exist.

Although the muslim subcultures in both countries might be similar.
                              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST

I would say that christian fundamentalism is more widespread in the USA than in GB (or most other european countries). So certain important differences exist.

Although the muslim subcultures in both countries might be similar.
                                Especially considering the high number of atheists & agnostics and the general drive for secularism, coupled with bad historical experience regarding religion on this side of the pond.

Proteus the muslim subcultures are most likley quite different because of the fact that European society is not the melting pot of the US, plus the fact that the European one is larger by a considerable margin.

Comment

Working...
                                X