Carols: a correlation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carols: a correlation?

I've had this thought before during the holiday season, but never got around to expressing it. But now Xmas is approaching again, so I might as well get this off my chest: is there some sort of relationship between how little a carol or other holiday song has to do with the actual religious significance of Christmas and how annoying it is? And, if so, is this relationship somehow causal, or correlated in a meaningful way, or is it pure freak coincidence?

EXHIBIT A: "Jingle Bells," "Frosty the Snowman," "Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer," "Walking in a Winter Wonderland," "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas," "Feliz Navidad," "We Wish You a Merry Christmas," "Deck the Halls," "The Twelve Days of Christmas," "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus." All have nothing to do with the birth of Jesus, and are so $%#! annoying that leading psychologists blame their frequent play over mall loudspeakers for the spike in suicides around Christmas.

EXHIBIT B: "O Come All Ye Faithful," "The First Noel," "We Three Kings," "Good King Wenceslas," "Away in a Manger," "Joy to the World," "Silent Night." Mention religion in some way, don't go into it heavily (except for the later verses of W3K, which are rarely sung), irritating but can be tuned out with practice.

EXHIBIT C: "Lo, How the Rose E'er Blooming," "What Child is This," "O Come Emmanuel," "Once in Royal David's City." Heavily theological, and IMO rather pretty.

Now, there are a bunch of factors here which could be confounding variables. One is that secular songs get more play in these politically correct times, and so have more time to get on our nerves. Another is that secular songs tend to be more upbeat and perky, which is naturally more annoying than low and solemn when you're trying to find the last copy of this year's must-have holiday toy. On a related note, at least one of them (Rudolph) was written by advertisers.

Or crap like "Santa Baby" could be God's way of punishing us for commercializing His birthday. I'm on the fence here, really.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Woodland Critter Christmas
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Exhibit A: Nearly the entire Phil Spector Christmas Album is secular, and godlike.

Exhibit B: "Ella Wishes You a Swingin' Christmas," same as above.

Exhibit C: "The Little Drummer Boy," the most annoying carol ever.

Exhibit D: modern Country carols, which tend to be religious and unbearable.

I think it's just that, for you, Church music > midcentury pop -- which is definitely true until you get a genius producer like Phil Spector or Norman Granz involved.

But, so you know: "Santa Baby" rules. Eartha Kitt.
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Drummer Boy, you have a problem with it? NM. Understandable. After all, you're a jackass.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

What's really screwy with Christams carols, is there's a local station here that's gone to all-Christmas songs, all the time, and it isn't after Thanksgiving yet!!!
          But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
          PolyCast | Girl playing Civ + extra added babble! | Yo voté en 2008!

Comment

I don't like that at all.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
              Drummer Boy, you have a problem with it? NM. Understandable. After all, you're a jackass.
              Right. As if I'm going to take lessons in taste from someone who enjoys living in Texas...
              "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Frosty the Snowman drives me insane - I hate it so much!

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

You're bound in a nutshell, yet have the audacity to criticize? I think not.

Comment

IMO, Silent Night is the most annoying Carol ever made. In fact, the only version of it I found almost bearable was the one with the plim,plim - plim,plim of the Blue Danube Waltz after every other bar.
                    Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                      You're bound in a nutshell, yet have the audacity to criticize? I think not.
                      I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Another is that secular songs tend to be more upbeat and perky, which is naturally more annoying than low and solemn when you're trying to find the last copy of this year's must-have holiday toy.
                        This.
                        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

You had such an opportunity for a dreadful pun here, Elok, and you passed up on it.
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Thank God for that.

Comment

EXHIBIT B: "O Come All Ye Faithful," "The First Noel," "We Three Kings," "Good King Wenceslas," "Away in a Manger," "Joy to the World," "Silent Night." Mention religion in some way, don't go into it heavily (except for the later verses of W3K, which are rarely sung), irritating but can be tuned out with practice.
                              Huh? Some I would agree, Good King Wenceslas and We three Kings but the other five, Adeste Fideles, The First Noel, Joy to the World, Away in a manger and Silent night are all very, very religious.

Away in a manger

Away in a manger,
                              no crib for a bed.
                              The little lord Jesus,
                              lays down his sweet head.

The Stars in the bright sky
                              Shone down where he lay
                              The little lord Jesus
                              Asleep in the hay

The cattle are lowing,
                              the baby awakes.
                              The little Lord Jesus,
                              no crying he makes.

I love Thee, Lord Jesus
                              Look down from the sky
                              And stay by my side,
                              'Til morning is nigh.

Be near me, Lord Jesus,
                              I ask Thee to stay
                              Close by me forever
                              And love me I pray

Bless all the dear children
                              In Thy tender care
                              And take us to heaven
                              To live with Thee there
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                              X