No announcement yet.

I'm surrounded by flames... California fires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oerdin, how are things (since your thread got closed and all...) ?

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

It's not just Malibu, it's all San Diego.

Are there any polytubbies out that way besides Oerdin?

How is Zkribbler?
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
        Sting is screwed
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

I live in downtown San Diego. It's not as bad here as up north or east, but I can see enormous plumes of smoke over the horizon. Unfortunately the news is reporting that there's no sign that the fires will abate anytime soon

Air quality here is horrible, smells like smoke everywhere.

Comment

I'm in Oceanside (N San Diego County). There's fires N, S, and E. We have the ocean W... luckily it's not on fire yet. But where I live isn't threatened. Yesterday afternoon we started to get a slight breeze from offshore, so hopefully the Santa Anas are dying down.

Attached Files

Comment

I'm in downtown L.A. The nearest fire is more than 10 miles away, but I just went outside, and there's the smell of smoke. The sky above is clear, but the entire horizon is a halo of brown haze.

Comment

Impressive
                Pictures from NASA (right) show how the powerful seasonal Santa Ana winds have fueled the unusually large-scale outbreak.

bleh

Comment

NASA
                  Attached Files
                  bleh

Comment

Those pix are good at showing how strong the wind is in certain areas. In some of the canyons (which act as wind tunnels), it can surpass hurricane strength.

Comment

The only thing you need now is an eartquake on top of it.

I feel sorry for those who's homes have been destroyed. But at least they live.
                      So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                      Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Good to know you are ok Zkribbler.

Updated 11/01/07. All evacuation orders have been lifted. Fire perimeters (not active burn areas) are based on County Emergency Operations Center data. They are no longer being updated. Thanks to our friends at SDSU's Geography department for their assistance. http://www.kpbs.org/fires http://maps.sdsu.edu

Here's another map I found that shows the evac orders, and the burn areas, at least for San Diego, which has the largest fires.

I haven't seen one for the area north of LA.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Magic Mountain is in danger, and I can't get Clark Griswold out of my mind.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

My aunt and uncle in San Diego may have to evacuate. Last I heard, the fires were less than a half mile away from their house.
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

By the time I left work, the brown halo of haze on the horizon I mentioned above had turned into a yellow-brown dome, giving the city an Apocolyptic hue.

The good news is that the winds are dying. The wind warning has been downgraded to a wind alert. Velocity is down in most places to no more than 14 mph. There's even a teeny chance of some light rain this weekend.

San Diego is really getting smacked hard.

And I heard on the news that 1/2 million Californians have been evacuated. That number is just mind boggling.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                                And I heard on the news that 1/2 million Californians have been evacuated. That number is just mind boggling.
                                [threadjack]

[/threadjack]

Anyway, hope that you and everyone else gets out of this safe.
                                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                                X