Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Race, Intelligence, & Genetics or How James Watson pissed off a lot of people.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lorizael

Yes. Part of it is discrimination and part of it is environment. Both can be true at the same time. I never speak in absolutes, Kid.
    If you don't think the discrimination is significant you shouldn't mention it as a cause.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Proteus_MST
      They might at first prefer their own race but this will be more because children with other skin colors are unused to them and not because of some inborn racism.
      Children on the other hand are extremly good observers. If they see their parents showing the same behavior to people with other skin color as they do to people of their own skin color, they will most likely copy this behavior and for themselves be less shy against differently colored kids.
      Same goes for other people impotant to children, like their teachers at Kindergarten for example.
      Chuildren see what adults do and they learn from it, and they learn the more, the younger they are.
      Yes, that's true. They will still tend to prefer their own race though, even though they will have a greater understanding and tolerance of other races.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious
        If you don't think the discrimination is significant you shouldn't mention it as a cause.
        Again, I don't believe I've ever made such a claim.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Again, I don't believe I've ever made such a claim.
          For future clarity (maybe), post 296 you said black people (as a race) are discriminated against, in agreeing with my post 295. That's a contradiction with "Generally speaking, black people aren't discriminated against."

Comment

• Please don't misquote me.

Originally posted by Lorizael
            Generally speaking, companies are going to hire the people they think will do the job best...
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

• I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?

Comment

No. You need to explain yourself. If people had equal opportunities then why wouldn't they have equal outcomes.
                B/c we are not all equal (wrt abilities).

Say we sent every person in the world a check in the mail. For what reason would more whites cash the check more than blacks?

That's not oppportunity. That's some sort of welfare.

Of course it's not, and you can't make it level, except to change the outcome.
                Then you institutionalize inequality (rewarding those that didn't earn it through ability).
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

They're very different statements. If you want to talk only in broad, universal declarations, you must be precise or your argument will fall apart.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wezil B/c we are not all equal (wrt abilities).
                    We are talking about races right? I think they are equal (wrt abilities).

Originally posted by Wezil
                    Then you institutionalize inequality (rewarding those that didn't earn it through ability).
                    No. That's the status quo.

Comment

They're very different statements.
                      I don't know what you are talking about again.

Comment

• We are talking about races right? I think they are equal (wrt abilities).
                        That would be amazing, 6 billion people with differing abilities all add up to equally able races? Is there magic involved?

Comment

Racial divisions are already perpetuated and institutionalized in case you haven't noticed.
                          IMO people who claim that the US is an "inherently racist society" are stuck in them 70s. Race is mattering less and less as time goes on. Hell, I remember seeing and article that said 97% of people under 30 had no problem with inter-racial relationships.

Outcomes are what matters. I could care less what you think about me.
                          Utilitarianism can be used as an excuse for a paternalistic nanny state.

Comment

People are rational beings.
                            I have a nice spot under a bridge I'd like to sell ya...

Comment

• Originally posted by Berzerker
                              That would be amazing, 6 billion people with differing abilities all add up to equally able races? Is there magic involved?
                              It's mathematics.

Comment

• I know, thats why it would be amazing if all those variables added up to equally able races

Comment

Working...
                                X