Dying parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dying parents

Well, my father has been that for some three months - he needs heart surgery but isn't strong enough to handle such, so ...

It isn't so much about the dying, that I can accept, it's the fact that I live some 300 km away and can't do anything - yeah, I know, even if I lived next door I neither could do anything, but then I could at least visit regularily.

Anybody out there with similar experience ? How to handle that things gets worse week by week, while he is a fighter that doesn't give up and you are stuck far away ?

Yeah, I know - 300 km isn't much - a couple of hours driving, but you can't do it every day.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Sorry to hear that

Comment

Sorry to hear.

My father had a heart attack some years ago and I was living some 300-400 kms away. While ultimately he survived he was extremely sick at the time and no one could gaurantee what way things would go.

I couldn't be there full-time and couldn't make the trip frequently and it was tough. I think I got by on a lot of phone calls. There was always someone to answer and usually some one that could appreciate the familiar voice.

I hope this turns out better than you fear.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

First of all, BC, I am sorry for your situation.

In my experience, small things mean a lot in cases like your. I don't know if you dad is tech savvy, but to make up for the long distance, you could set up a webcam for him, and then you have have daily video sessions with each other.

Telephones would work just as well, but as I said, it's the small things that matter.

Remember to talk things through with your dad. Perhaps you have things you haven't said to him yet, but wish to do. Perhaps he feels the need to ease his fears about dying. It is a well known fact that in cases like yours where death is a certainty, it is very important to talk everything through.

You don't write if your mother is still alive. If she is, then have talks with her as well. Offer her all the help and support that you can. She is very likely every bit as scared as your father, if not even more. She is, after all, the one who faces everyday life on her own, once he dies. That can be a very daunting thing to face once you have lived together for so many years as your parents probably have.

And finally: Allthough it is 300 kms, then do that drive as often as you can m8.

I don't have personal experience with death like that, but having previously worked for a number of years taking care of the elderly (ældresektoren) I have first hand experience nonetheless

Asmodean
        Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

I lost my Mom in 2000 and Dad has cancer and is still alive, 1300 miles from me.

We talk and I tell him I love him and thank him for all he has done. I let him talk when he and I converse, even when he repeats himself, he has earned that privelege!

I do hope you find peace Blackcat and tell those whom you love how you feel.

Bruce
          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Thanks Vet.

Wezil, you sums it up very well what is possible, and no there isn't actually any hope - he is dying and that I have accepted - one of our finest heart hospitals has said they can't do more.

Asmodean, thanks, yeah I do the travel as often as possible, but when back in Cph, there is a long way back to Ã…rhus.

Edit : didn't mention my mother because they have been divorced for some 30 years.
            Last edited by BlackCat; September 7, 2007, 18:38.
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Re: Dying parents

[SIZE=1]

Anybody out there with similar experience ? How to handle that things gets worse week by week, while he is a fighter that doesn't give up and you are stuck far away ?

Yeah, I know - 300 km isn't much - a couple of hours driving, but you can't do it every day.
              As a matter of fact, BlackCat, I'm leaving Sunday to take Playful and drop her off in Utah.
              Her dad is dying. About 3 months to go.
              Mother has had 2 strokes and a broken hip. We thought she'd go first.

Good luck, bud. I don't remember if you believe or not.
              If you do, and if he does, remember we feel baddest for ourselves.
              The ones that go have it made now.

Hang in there.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

SlowwHand, may Playful have some good moments with her father while possible - loosing people close to you isn't easy.

Neither me nor my dad are belivers, so no such comfort, but that really don't matter.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Comment

I'll pray for you and your family. Believer or not, I am and to me it matters.

Good Luck and hold tight. Be there as much as you can. Because of the dying we shouldn't stop living.

Here's some soppy Christian song that I like:

Monkey!!!

Comment

Keep in mind that years down the line you may wish you could have him back to tell him something, so tell it to him now. I've lost both parents, all you can do is hang in there. Pray if you can...
                      Long time member @ Apolyton
                      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Sorry to hear that
                          Blah

Comment

Man, life can be a queen and it can be a *****, ain't it?
                            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Re: Dying parents

Originally posted by BlackCat
                              Yes, but I've been closer a couple of times with people close to me being terminal and slipping away.

You do whatever makes them happy. Even if that is the sound of your voice over a phone line. However, it is also important to remain respectful of their space.

Letters may be a good idea for some people. You can choose your words, and they have a chance to absorb them.

I wish you and your familiy the best, BC. I hope your father has calm seas and a kind wind.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Working...
                              X