The "surge" is a success?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ramo
    For the record, I think Petraeus is wrong, and I'm right.
    Okay General Ramo. Understood.

That about says it all, doesn't it?
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• Oh...and let me say this as well. I don't know if Patreaus is right or wrong. I do know that he is iminently more qualified to have an opinion than I am. I will listen to both sides, but i will listen weighted on who is capable of making informed statements and who is not. Not based on what I want to be said or not.
      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• I don't know if Patreaus is right or wrong.
        Yes, you do. You elevated him to smartest guy in the world who has the best judgment about Iraq. That's a ridiculously powerful ability that you're giving yourself, to be able to divine that fact. That's more than a Generalship, but some sort of superpower.

You equated his opinion with truth itself; otherwise your Clyburn smear makes absolutely no sense.

Yes, I am afraid it does.
        Let's recap. Clyburn pointed out that the Petraeus report, if it endorses the current strategy, is politically problematic. You turned that into saying success in Iraq is politically problematic. Do you really not understand this distinction? Do you not see how the only way that makes logical sense if Petraeus can see the future?

This is not an irreconcilable stalemate, but your failure to grasp grade-school logic.
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

• What i find most interesting is that so many people believe ''They'' are the ones that know whats going on and what needs to be done. The whole issue of the war has been wrapped in a smokescreen from the beginning by people that hate it
          if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

• In a democratic form of government, it's the duty of citizens to figure out what needs to be done. If you want to abdicate this responsibility and defer to the Leader, that's your prerogative.
            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
            -Bokonon

Comment

• Originally posted by PLATO

Should the General be found to have betryed this position of extreme trust, then he should be dismissed and prosecuted immediately.
              Your choice?
              Like Alberto Gonzalez? Maybe, George Tenet or Donald Rumsfeld?
              I never know their names, But i smile just the same
              New faces...Strange places,
              Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
              -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

In a democratic form of government, it's the duty of citizens to figure out what needs to be done. If you want to abdicate this responsibility and defer to the Leader, that's your prerogative.
                "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

• In a democratic form of government, it's the duty of citizens to figure out what needs to be done. If you want to abdicate this responsibility and defer to the Leader, that's your prerogative.
                  And since you are apparently unable to take the opinion of the most qualified and knowledgable people on the issue seriously, you obviously have no intention of doing this.
                  "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

• I never said anything of the sort. Another dishonest strawman.

Just because I disagree with Petraeus' conclusions doesn't mean I don't take him seriously. Just as if I were to support the policy, that wouldn't mean that I don't take Powell seriously.
                    -Bokonon

Comment

• For those who think we cannot sustain the surge, what is the reasoning for their belief?

Also Ramos, you're an idiot. You've even admitted that they only way you get your information is from news articles (like most of us), yet you are claiming to know more then a general whos right in the middle of things over there just because what he says doesn't go along with your party line.
                      EViiiiiiL!!! - Mermaid Man

Comment

• Just because I disagree with Petraeus' conclusions doesn't mean I don't take him seriously.
                        The problem is he doesn't have any conclusions yet and you alreay disagree with them.
                        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

• He has telegraphed them. It's not like he's trying to surprise anyone. You hardly need to read the final report to figure out more or less what it's going to say.

But I suppose that there's a small chance that he's going to recommend something completely different, that I might agree with.
                          -Bokonon

Comment

• For those who think we cannot sustain the surge, what is the reasoning for their belief?

Also Ramos, you're an idiot. You've even admitted that they only way you get your information is from news articles (like most of us), yet you are claiming to know more then a general whos right in the middle of things over there just because what he says doesn't go along with your party line.
                            To be clear, the only reason why you're not on my ignore list is that your posts are occasionally (unintentionally) mildly amusing...
                            Last edited by Ramo; August 23, 2007, 16:11.
                            -Bokonon

Comment

To be clear, the only reason why you're not on my ignore list is that your posts are occasionally (unintentionally) mildly amusing...
                              Am I supposed to bow down and thank you for your generosity?
                              EViiiiiiL!!! - Mermaid Man

Comment

• The whole issue of the war has been wrapped in a smokescreen from the beginning by people that hate it
                                That's really, really funny.

Ramo, PLATO & Patroklos:

From my somewhat detatched view of your argument, it would appear that all three of you take Petraeus seriously. PLATO and Patroklos are inclined to agree with him, and Ramo isn't. Ramo's reasons are not pure ideology - he's got backup for his view (and I concede that you guys have yours, even if I think you may be wrong about a given point).

This back and forth over who is giving the good general too much or too little credance is absurd.

-Arrian
                                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                                X