The Apolyton Irony...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AAHZ

maybe i have been looking at this all wrong, then. Perhaps we need a giant conspiracy. Something like the the Alpha Centauri Incident with whats-his-name, where he claimed he was the best of all time, or whatever. Maybe a DL that will put all our posters to shame and go down in history...? Or another hugely popular and controversial situation in one of the on-topic boards? And dont look at me to start any kind of mega-civ debate that will go down in history, because my time has since passed. I dont know, i shall have to think on this...

I have to go to work now. more later.

pieceâ„¢
    Try the old trick. Pay hawt girls to post here. Then the nerds will follow.
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Asher is simply the worst offender. I mean come on... lots of posters have made fun of LOTM for bringing his religion into his posts (it's just who he is), but 4 years ago, do you think that someone would have been able to stalk him around the site and jew bait him and make comments about being gang raped with a Menorah and not get instantly banned for a month?
      is that really what happened ? I'd been curious what all this "free Asher" stuff was and why he'd been, i'd presumed, banned.

Something like the the Alpha Centauri Incident with whats-his-name
      Mead i think it was.
      Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

It just demonstrates how effective Asher is at manipulating weak-willed idiots. At least the Counterglowers have an ulterior motive
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Those mischievers cannot be trusted.
          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Re: The Apolyton Irony...

erm... hello?

(echo... echo... echo...)

seriously, though, after the Asher Situation, the mass exodus, and the huge 'Poly server problems, 'Poly seems to be knocked down pretty good. The OTF is slower than ever, and I am seriously overworked with Polycast, my REAL job, Eventis, and trying to maintain my posting relations all at the same time.

Yes i am behind the scenes more than ever now, but amazingly this thread is not about me. it is about the fact that we have virtually NO n00bs to fill the void left by the departed Polytubbies. Why? OH YEAH i remember now. because we scared them all away numerous times over the past 7-8 years. Our motto has always been quality over quantity. This is fine. except now we have lost several quality posters whether you like them or not. so we no longer have the quality we had. we definately dont have the quantity. what the hell DO we have anyway?

well we (the OTF) have some very loyal and dedicated posters, like me and the others still posting, but we REALLY need some new blood now. more than ever before. you dont agree with me? fine. you agree with me? great! what the hell are we gonna do about it?

recruit? from where? the on-topic? another board? i am not just blowing wind here i believe this is a problem that needs to be solved.

thanks and pieceâ„¢
            You probably listen to Alanis Morisette.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Things like what 'Poly has suffered from are devestating, however. When Prodigy folded in the mid-late 90's, because of billing issues, even AFTER the issues were resolved, it was too late. Prodigy lost so many quality members, including me, and almost no new members joined therafter that Prodigy folded virtually overnight.

I just see 'Poly headed down that path. The thing we have on our side, however, is BtS... as Imran mentioned. If nobody else will do anything, at least I am going to get some new blood here, from the On-Topic if I have to. I have seen Brutus66 post here in the last week. I will get more On-Topic'ers to follow and we will be in a better position than before.

pieceâ„¢
              WTF is Prodigy?
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

but 4 years ago, do you think that someone would have been able to stalk him around the site and jew bait him and make comments about being gang raped with a Menorah and not get instantly banned for a month?
                Asher did that?

Anyway, Poly's decline is due to:
                -lack of frogs
                -crappiness of Civ3 and Civ4
                -teh evil CFC
                -teh evil Ming
                -molly bloom

I don't think spam causes people to stop posting here. It never stopped me
                Last edited by Heresson; July 13, 2007, 09:12.
                "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson

Anyway, Poly's decline is due to:
                  -lack of frogs
                  -crappiness of Civ3 and Civ4
                  -teh evil CFC
                  -teh evil Ming
                  You didn't blame me. What have I done not to offend you so ?

Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I think the decline of Poly is due to an excess of posters creating long, whiny threads about the supposed decline of Poly. What a killjoy.
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                      I think the decline of Poly is due to an excess of posters creating long, whiny threads about the supposed decline of Poly. What a killjoy.
                      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

You didn't blame me. What have I done not to offend you so ?

corrected
                        Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                          yeah, if someone new comes here and he sees all are thinking this place is sinking, well, it surely does not encourage him to stay.
                          Middle East!

Comment

Re: Re: The Apolyton Irony...

Originally posted by Lorizael
                            You probably listen to Alanis Morisette.
                            Quoted for Phucking Truth.

Maybe one of our our more vocabularistically-enlightened USAians like Lorizael or Elok can explain why so many of their countrymen fail to realise the meaning of the word 'irony'. Is it because of Alanis Morissette, or is it the other way round, and she merely reflects the nation-wide understanding-gap with regard to this humble word?

When people here say "oh, the yanks never did get irony" I always defend the fact that many USAians are quite capable of using the term correctly, but I would be interested to know the percentages.

Comment

Anyway, wrt to the problem of poster numbers, I think it's absurd to blame the passing of a few trolls on the decline, as if trolls attract hoards of new posters. Unless they are very funny and essentially the genial variety, trolls surely drive posters away rather tham attract them.

It's also extremely silly for the Civ-2 diehards to blame the fact that they personally don't like Civ 3 & 4 for low traffic on both on and off topic areas - as CFC's membership would indicate. I wasn't too impressed by much of the posting at CFC, though. Much of the on-topic seemed to be either penis-measuring or milking exploits, and the off-topic seemed fairly inane. Moderation seemed robotic and damned stupid, and it generally felt like a place teeming with small children. Having said that, there were some fine posters in On-Topic areas making a great contribution.

That counterglow place was a joke - like some kind of kindergraden - or maybe a beergarden for wannabe retards.

I'm relatively new to the OT compared to most here, having been an active On-Topic poster through Civ 3 and early Civ 4 days. After early visits I was discouraged and left due to the hostile atmosphere and lack of civility. Eventually I hung around and learned to dodge most of the missiles, but I always felt that the trolltastic cultire of the place worked against it.

Comment

You were attacking me
                                Middle East!

Comment

Working...
                                X