No announcement yet.

The Apolyton Irony...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CFC is rising. We're falling. Something is causing it.
    I get the impression that we are an older lot, 13/14 year olds aren't interested in what 25+ year olds have to say. I say this after being here almost six years.

Also, having an entrenched posting base is not always conducive to new recruiting. For example, if I start a thread on Iraq I already know where most people here stand and we have all heard the opening arguments at nauseam, so we tend to skip them and go straight for each others throats.

Or even worse, we won't even start threads about important events because we have already "been there done that." I am amazed sometimes when I come here expecting to see a +100 post thread about whatever event I just heard about just to see the same old "HB" or "aggressor" threads. But then again in reality, would any of us say anything different than last time about this terrorist attack, or this economic report, or this imagined transgression of GW? No, so what's the point?

Or we end up with threads upon threads worth of inside jokes.
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Inside jokes form part of any online community, and help to bind that community as much as they deter newcomers.

Comment

I agree with you on that, Cort.

One of my fears regarding the proliferation of subforums, however, is that we may reach a point where the only acceptable OT threads are tired, convoluted inside jokes.

The slippery slope argument is a fallacy, though, so I won't take it any further.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

True, Cort. But he's right about current events. We've had soooo many ME threads, for instance, that nowadays even fairly major events sometimes are just ignored here in the OTF. We all know what everybody will say (or think we do), and many are tired of the "same ****, different day" aspect of it.

I'm not complaining, mind you. I'm just saying that Patroklos has a point about the community here. We are older, I think, and we've been here a while.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Inside jokes form part of any online community, and help to bind that community as much as they deter newcomers.
            Well that is part of the point. We are a mature community now, as far as online forums can be I guess. And like any community we have a unique culture that can be intimidating to a new comer.
            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos

Well that is part of the point. We are a mature community now, as far as online forums can be I guess. And like any community we have a culture that can be intimidating to a new comer.
              I think this is a very true idea. I'm not naturally an online forum person, and had never visited one before my boyfriend introduced me to Apolyton. Reading through all the posts, I was so intimidated that I couldn't bring myself to ever comment on anything, let alone start a thread. After lurking the forum for a while now, I've only recently felt like I knew everyone enough to reply to the things they say. There is a sort of clique in Poly that is hard to be welcomed into.
              In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Comment

To follow up...

Say some newbie comes to the OT and starts a ME thread. The first several responses are highly likely to be along the lines of "****. Here we go again..."

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Remember Will9...
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Will9
                    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Who is you boyfriend and why was he not standing up for his noob gf

Comment

Originally posted by Cartimandua

I think this is a very true idea. I'm not naturally an online forum person, and had never visited one before my boyfriend introduced me to Apolyton. Reading through all the posts, I was so intimidated that I couldn't bring myself to ever comment on anything, let alone start a thread. After lurking the forum for a while now, I've only recently felt like I knew everyone enough to reply to the things they say. There is a sort of clique in Poly that is hard to be welcomed into.
                        Welcome aboard Cartman.

Ultravibe 2000
                        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Say some newbie comes to the OT and starts a ME thread. The first several responses are highly likely to be along the lines of "****. Here we go again..."
                          And it is not just noobs. Like in the last Iran thread where LOTM thought the US fleet would be sunk en masse in an altercation. My response to him was "did you not see the thousand other threads where I went over why this is stupid at nuaseam?"

But in reality he had never read and of my rants on the topic. I felt like a ***** when he pointed that out too. So it is not just noobs that our old timer crankiness screws over.

Comment

So perhaps we should all be a little less cranky, is that it?

Kiss my ass, mother****er!

-Arrian

Comment

You son of a *****!!!

Comment

now now boys...
                                Keep on Civin'
                                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X