Vatican: All you non-Catholic "Christians" suck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Explained easily the issue is

catholics and orthodox, who separated in 1054, both believe they are the only real church founded by christ 2000 years ago, and that there is only one real church.

Catholics think the theology of the eastern orthodox, their mass, their priests, are 99% ok, that the only defect they have, or the only big one, is not submitting to the bishop of Rome, AKA Pope. So they are schismatics.
    There are some former eastern orthodox churches, which became catholic, mainly in orthodox territories which Poland ruled, where everything is done just like in orthodox churches, only they accept the Pope, so their way of worship is seen as an ok way of worship, the same I think happened with the maronites of lebanon, they all accepted papal authority and kept worshipping as before.

The orthodox have an even worse opinion of Catholics, they think they are plain heretics, not schismatics, they have problems with papal infalibillity, original sin as explained by Agustin and the filioque of course.
    They also think catholic priests due to being in heresy have lost their "magic powers" to turn bread into Jesus and others.

Catholics believe orthodox still have the "magic powers".

For the orthodox a priest who falls into heresy, even if ordained correctly by a proper priest, loses his "magic powers",

for the catholics, once a priest, always a priest, meaning even if the priest falls into heresy or becomes super evil, serial killers, rapist etc he is still a priest

I think some orthodox even rebaptize catholics who convert to the orthodox church

For the orthodox church, protestants are heretics, who separated from the already heretic catholic church, some even say protestants and catholics have more in common than catholics and orthodox.

For catholics, the orthodox are schismatics, meaning, all they have to do is accept the pope and they can keep their theology and way of worship unchanged, but protestants are heretics, meaning their beliefs are very wrong.
    I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
      Does the pope eat potatos? I only ask because at one point the catholic church proclaimed that eating potatos was a sin. I guess there wasn't enough sins around at that point so they had to flesh them out with such stuff.

Is there an 'e' in potatos? Potatoes. Toes. That doesn't seem right, potatos don't have toes.

Discuss.

You DO know that Tolkien was Catholic?

Did you know that some Orthodox Jews wont eat broccoli? (well of course there are members of every religion who won't eat broccoli, but this is a religious thingie)
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Barnabas, where are you getting your info? We're NOT supposed to rebaptize anyone ("I acknowledge *one* baptism for the remission of sins," Nicene Creed) who was baptized in the name of the Trinity. Certainly Catholics don't need it.

I don't know about "magic powers," though naturally we don't accept sacraments performed by non-Orthodox, and taking communion from a Catholic priest effectively excommunicates an Orthodox Xian.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Comment

I have suspected in the past that Ratzinger was uncomfortable with ecumenism. Now as Pope he shows this view. Of course, one Pope can't overrule another (the infallibility trap), so he redefines ecumenism. The new testament says Jesus said "Whosoever believeth in me shall know the Kingdom of Heaven." While this means in deed as well as in thought, the RC church can't say those other Christians won't make it. I rather liked JP II's views better than Benedict's, but as I no longer believe, the point is of no value. No man is my Lord.
            No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I am thy Lord
              "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
              I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
              Middle East!

Comment

Bow down. Not likely, altho you do seem a bit better at civ than I. That's not saying a lot.
                No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

BTW, how good would the pope be at civ? And would he win a gmae agains the towl-heads?
                  I'm not buying BtS until Firaxis impliments the "contiguous cultural border negates colony tax" concept.

Comment

Originally posted by _BuRjaCi_
                    BTW, how good would the pope be at civ? And would he win a gmae agains the towl-heads?
                    He'd spank em...................

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                      or anything anti-Jewish?

Don't rush him- his Hitler Youth Uniform had to be resized at Odessa Outfitters.

He'll give it an airing on a trip to Oberammergau.
                      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                        And what's wrong with praying to save the Jews?
                        It's ecumenically uneconomic.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

...you can go to an RC church and hear a mass accompanied by guitar music, yadda, yadda, yadda.
                          I thought that was you in the pew at the rear clapping along in the Redemptorists' Church of Kumbaya...

(Spiritual Coordinator: Pope Joan Baez)

Comment

Nevermind, I didn't read Brachy's post correctly...

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                              And what's wrong with praying to save the Jews? Seriously, if we're already assuming the axioms of their religion:

People who are bad/don't believe in God/don't do our rituals or whatever don't get to go to heaven.
                              Thus, we should pray to God that they convert, so they'll get to go to heaven.

Duh. It's not just okay; they're morally compelled to.
                              Yea exactly. Those who have visceral opposition to peaceful, willful conversion or missionary activity either have a very weak faith in their own religion and have a dim view of others in their religion fearing that if they hear about other religions they will leave. Or those who are atheist and have no conception of religions and see them purely as instruments to control people so conversion is seen as conquering and enslaving new people.

Neither perspective is really logical however.

I think it was Plato who had a nice example that explains this. If you were on a ship in the ocean and only one person on that ship knew how to navigate would it be improper for him to share that knowledge with the others on the ship? If you know something that can help others, then is it irresponsible to keep it to yourself.

It is one thing that actually irks me about Judaism. That they are the chosen people and are rather indifferent to others. I have more respect for groups like Muslims, Mormons and Buddhists who really work on spreading their faith. They believe in the truth of their faith and want to help people with it.
                              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Ecumenicalism is boring. What is the point of being faithful to one doctrine that states that anyone not following your doctrine is going to be punished for eternity, and they trying to play nice with those people?

Have some conviction in your beliefs!
                                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                                X