Vatican: All you non-Catholic "Christians" suck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Da Pope:

Frankly, it's about time it's been said publicly. All these poor heathens running around thinking that they're going to Heaven. It makes me
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nugog
      Local cartoon:
      dumb one.

Again, I find Benedict's speach on islam and christianity beautiful, interesting and much deeper than what you hear in the media. I just think there's a difference between spreading islamic state by sword, and spreading islam by sword... that was a difference. Surely, Muhammad and/or his followers were intimidating others, there was a reknown poet who was threatened with death for criticising him, and had to write a poem glorifying him to get protection, there was another pagan poet that was killed for attacking Muhammad, and Muhammad approved of it etc,
      but in general, it was spread of islamic rule more than religion. One lead to another, of course, I have little doubt that islam would die if it wasn't for its political success, but that's a fact. Apart from that, I agree with this article... though it does not apply to all muslims. For most of christians, one should be good to be close to God. For larger than in christianity part of muslims, being close to God means to be good. It is a natural thing. Again, Muhammad, while being virtuous in many ways, wouldn't quite be a model christian saint today...
      He could be in middle ages: again I believe that this mistake, in which christianity's fallen in Middle Ages, was present in islam from the start, as it has started in these times.
      Actually, muslim stance, while I find it wrong, is more consistent and logical. Christians accept Old Testament, which has the same attitude as islam... Oh surely, Jesus came and Old Testament stopped to apply in many ways... but isn't it exactly what muslims are accused of in this article? That God isn't bound by his own words?
      This problem led some heretics to claim God from Old Testament and new Testament are not the same.
      Also, if we do what christians do, what I am doing myself, that is introducing general rules to which God has to comply, aren't we guilty of biasphemy and hipocrisy? If all comes from God, the rules of the world and the good, we should not reason with God's commands but obey. That is what islam is here "accused" of. But it is logical.
      "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
      I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
      Middle East!

Comment

Here is the pertinent part of Pope Benedict's address that is alluded to in the cartoon.
        I know all about that quote, and again I ask when the Pope used anti-muslim rhetoric.

Father Jonathan

The media today . It is good to see some media types can still rationally evaluate something.
        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
          Given the number of times I've heard evangelical Protestants question whether Catholics are true Christians, this is really really really really really hard to ger worked up about.
          Every religion, and denominations within, have their zealots. Those Protestants who question whether Catholics are true Christians are in the wrong too IMO.

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
          ... how many times I've heard Protestants call the Pope the "anti-Christ" (it gets a bit old).
          That's not right either.

Two wrongs still don't make a right.
          PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
          >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos

and again I ask when the Pope used anti-muslim rhetoric.
            I think the implication is that that may be his next trick.....
            I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Worshiping some imaginary sky daddy isn't my thing, but it seems stupid to think there is only one proper way to worship the supreme being you believe in. Ratzy is sounding like the leader of one of two tribes bickering about the "proper" way to dance to the rain god.

Comment

I think the implication is that that may be his next trick.....
                No, Ben hit it right on the head, I am just pointing out that in reality he didn't say anything bad about muslims and people are idiots if they can't understand that.

By people I mean mainly muslims.
                "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

And what's wrong with praying to save the Jews? Seriously, if we're already assuming the axioms of their religion:

People who are bad/don't believe in God/don't do our rituals or whatever don't get to go to heaven.
                  Thus, we should pray to God that they convert, so they'll get to go to heaven.

Duh. It's not just okay; they're morally compelled to.

Comment

I think it is mormons who believe people can be baptized after death, so they baptize long lists of dead people, people of others religions sometimes are offended by that, for example imagine they "baptize" John Paul II or Maimonides, but then, it shouldnt be offensive, they think they are doing something good, and not hurting anyone.
                    I need a foot massage

Comment

Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas
                        for example imagine they "baptize" John Paul II
                        I am pretty sure they did..........
                        I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Does the pope eat potatos? I only ask because at one point the catholic church proclaimed that eating potatos was a sin. I guess there wasn't enough sins around at that point so they had to flesh them out with such stuff.

Is there an 'e' in potatos? Potatoes. Toes. That doesn't seem right, potatos don't have toes.

Discuss.
                          Long time member @ Apolyton
                          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Who the **** cares ?
                            "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas
                              I think it is mormons who believe people can be baptized after death, so they baptize long lists of dead people, people of others religions sometimes are offended by that, for example imagine they "baptize" John Paul II or Maimonides, but then, it shouldnt be offensive, they think they are doing something good, and not hurting anyone.
                              lol tass LOL
                              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
                                , but it seems stupid to think there is only one proper way to worship the supreme being you believe in. Ratzy is sounding like the leader of one of two tribes bickering about the "proper" way to dance to the rain god.

Benedict probably believes theres more than one proper way. You can go to an RC church and hear a vernacular mass, you can go to an RC church and hear a Latin mass, you can go to an RC church and hear a mass accompanied by guitar music, yadda, yadda, yadda. Every religion believes in lots of proper ways, just they often have certain parameters around them. What those parameters are, have to do with the specific beliefs and history of that faith tradition.
                                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
                                X