• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vatican: All you non-Catholic "Christians" suck

Non-Catholic churches 'wounded,' Vatican says
    PHIL STEWART

Reuters

July 10, 2007 at 7:27 AM EDT

VATICAN CITY — The Vatican said Tuesday that Christian denominations outside the Roman Catholic Church are not full churches of Jesus Christ.

A 16-page document, prepared by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, which Pope Benedict used to head, described Christian Orthodox churches as true churches that suffer from a "wound" since they do not recognize the primacy of the Pope.

But the document said the "wound is still more profound" in the Protestant denominations – a view likely to further complicate relations with Protestants.

"Despite the fact that this teaching has created no little distress ... it is nevertheless difficult to see how the title of 'Church' could possibly be attributed to them," it said.

The Vatican text, which restates the controversial document Dominus Iesus issued by the then Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger in 2000, said the church wanted to stress this point because some Catholic theologians continue to misunderstand it.

Cardinal Ratzinger was elected Pope in April, 2005. The document is his second strong reaffirmation of Roman Catholic tradition in four days, following a decree on Saturday restoring the old Latin Mass alongside the modern liturgy.

The document stressed that dialogue with other Christians remained "one of the priorities of the Catholic Church."

Second Vatican Council

The document, issued by Pope Benedict's successor in doctrinal matters, Cardinal William Levada, complemented the Latin Mass decree in aiming to correct what it called "erroneous or ambiguous" interpretations of the Second Vatican Council, which took place from 1962 to 1965.

Church modernizers interpreted the Council as a break from the past while conservatives, such as Benedict, see it in continuity with 2,000 years of Catholic tradition.

The document said the Council's opening to other faiths recognized there were "many elements of sanctification and truth" in other Christian denominations, but stressed that only Catholicism has all the elements to be Christ's Church fully.

The text refers to "ecclesial communities originating from the Reformation," a term used to refer to Protestants and Anglicans.

Father Augustine Di Noia, Under-Secretary for the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, said the document did not alter the commitment for ecumenical dialogue, but aimed to assert Catholic identity in those talks.

"The Church is not backtracking on ecumenical commitment," Father Di Noia told Vatican radio.

"But, as you know, it is fundamental to any kind of dialogue that the participants are clear about their own identity. That is, dialogue cannot be an occasion to accommodate or soften what you actually understand yourself to be."
    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

somehow when I think of Jesus walking among the filthy heathens to spread his message of forgiveness I just cant picture the Pope sitting on a throne in some architectural monstrosity of stone and wood ... and blood...

Comment

Re: Vatican: All you non-Catholic "Christians" suck

Duh?

Comment

Honestly, PC has gotten pretty bad when people complain about a church saying "our doctrine is right, everyone else's is wrong."

Comment

For the catholic church, eastern orthodox christians or for example copts, are real churches, "proper churches", altough in schism.

It is mainly with protestants that they dont consider their churches to be real churches, mainly due to the apostolic succession issue.

For catholics, eastern orthodox, copts, armenians etc all churches before the year 1500, apostolic succession is very important,

For them, for a priest to be a real priest, he has to be ordered by someone who was ordered by someone who was ordered by someone etc etc etc many years ago who was ordered by an apostle.

That is why you have lists like the one of popes which have Peter and all the popes of the last 2000 years.

Protestants dont think apostolic succession matters, so it was lost, the anglicans kept it, but changed the speech given to order someone as a priest I dont remember when, and from that moment on the Pope has said they lost the apostolic succession, because they change some words.
          I need a foot massage

Comment

Honestly, PC has gotten pretty bad when people complain about a church saying "our doctrine is right, everyone else's is wrong."
            Why is it PC to call the Church's proclamations BS ? The Church is the victim of PC? >snicker snicker

Comment

PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
              >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Originally posted by DanQ
                Gues you're not a 'dooley" then Dan?
                I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                  exactly. What's would be a church for it if not believed its own words?
                  "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                  I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                  Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by Nugog
                    Gues you're not a 'dooley" then Dan?
                    I'm not familiar with the term, but if by that do you mean "you're not a Catholic then", you would be right.

Regardless of whether I was or not, a most pompous position to express in my view -- particularly in such a divisive manner. Then again, it does sound 'logical' coming from the Pope and this Pope in particular. I'm not surprised. Yet for someone who wants to see the Christian church united under Catholicism (again)...

I certainly won't loose any sleep over whatever a Pope says or doesn't say, does or doesn't so, though.
                    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Yep - Dooley = Catholic (actually Irish Roman Catholic).

Would be interesting to see what reaction would occur if he made the same comments about a non "christian" faith......

I think that the more orthodox members of the catholic faith have got more power now, and they are sick of what they see as their faith being weakened.

Not saying I agree with them - and the Catholic church has more imprtant issues to sort out within itself IMO before it goes shaking a stick at any other religions.
                      I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

is it me or is this new pope trying to insult everyone? first the muslims, now this...
                        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                          is it me or is this new pope trying to insult everyone?
                          Just bringing the superiority complax back to the church - enough of this we are all equal nonsense...

first the muslims,
                          They started it.........

Comment

this is not an insult and that was also not an insult.
                            "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                            I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                            Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson
                              this is not an insult and that was also not an insult.
                              No they were not meant to be insults - they were supposed to be tounge in cheek pokes at the faith mentioned in the OP.

Comment

Working...
                              X