No announcement yet.

China, trade, and consumer safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where the hell is this anti-Chinese tirade you are talking about? Please point it out. I must be stupid or something, because I'm just not seeing it.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Let's look for anti-Chinese comments in my post. Tingkai, please point out where I'm wrong.

Originally posted by DaShi

They are not misleading at all.
      This isn't about China at all really. Just a difference of opinion.

[quote]
      Where are you getting your numbers?[.quote]

Well, the numbers you quoted were starkly different from the article you posted here, so I assumed that they are from a different source. I don't think asking you about them is anti-Chinese, is it?

True, but by total shipments, China is worse.
      This could be consider anti-Chinese. Hardly a tirade. But it is true. You can't call me anti-Chinese for stating a fact, can you?

Not at all. There are other reasons the food could be become filthy or diseased. It could have occured during shipment or simply overlooked accidentally. There is only one reason to put in cheaper substitute ingredients: greed.
      Well, this just gives other reasons why some goods end up filthy when they arrive at their destination. You say that it's greed alone, but there are some reasonable alternatives. Reason is anti-Chinese? That's just silly, if you ask me.

True, but there is nothing in the article that dangerous ingredients were being deliberately used by Mexico or India either. To say that they were without evidence is slander. That may be why the article didn't go beyond "filthy."
      Here I'm defending Mexico and India from your claim that they may be deliberately using dangerous materials. Is defending Mexico and India anti-Chinese?

And I'm not arguing that only Chinese companies should be condemned for using dangerous goods. I agree that if Mexican or Indian companies were caught using such dangerous goods, then they should be condemned.
      Ok, here I'm saying there should be fair treatment. Anti-Chinese?

China's problem is that their companies were caught and then US inspectors met with heavy resistence from the government in trying to determine the truth behind the incidents.
      What was I supposed to say about this? "The Glorious Chinese official repelling the foreign invaders who dared to challenge the superior quality of Chinese goods."

This along with a general impression of China that little will get done to change this other than a few token measures makes people worry about Chinese products.
      When you see a country say one thing than do another, you kind of get suspicious. But here I'm generally trying to give the general American opinion of these incidents. Believe it or not, Americans are people too, and they want safe products.

As someone who lived in China, you know how the Chinese think of their own products. In fact, we don't get it as bad as they do.
      Well, if you didn't experience this then you should say something. But in China, I've met many Chinese people who prefer to buy certain foreign goods than Chinese goods. And their many concern is always quality. I posted an article not long ago about how the Chinese people suffer much more from these dangerous products than Americans do.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
      X