Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do illegal aliens have Congressional representation? Should they?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do illegal aliens have Congressional representation? Should they?

Just wondering.

Does anyone know: When US state populations are calculated for the purpose of apportioning Congressional representation, does the state population include its illegal immigrant population? In most states it wouldn't matter, but CA has an alien population the size of 4 congressional districts, and TX and NY each have a population the size of 1-2 congressional districts. Anybody know?

This gets into the question of whether illegal aliens should be counted for the purpose of state representation. As far as I can tell, they should; the constitution says that representation is based on people living in the state; it says nothing about their legal status. Any lawyerly types know the law on this?
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

illegals aint exactly raising their hands whenever there's a census, but I'm sure congressman/senators with large illegal populations are grabbing money for their district. The Constitution excludes untaxed Indians from representation, and counts "other" people (slaves) as 3/5ths (compromise between slave and non-slave states), in addition to all the free people in the state.

Comment

In general, I don't think illegal aliens should have official congerssional representation. This does not exclude pragmatic thinking and denial of the situation, but in general, in my opinion, these are for citizens and residents of the nation, period. In my mind it's just that simple.

The overall picture is more complicated though and needs attention, I wouldn't leave hard working illegals out of the game totally, to me hard work always requires reward, not just survival.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

To me, it's about individual justice. I reckon it's all about the citizens. But when I compare some of the citizens, the punk citizens who are idiots and the hard working illegal one, who is barely surviving and really working hard, you know, if those two people were in front of me, I would never point at the hard worker and say "but you're not equal to this punk". I wouldn't dare to say to any man or woman who works hard days in and out, that oh well, we have these nation states and your paper looks different than mine and so your membership isn't valid so **** off.

No way. But at the same time I recognize the rights of the punk citizen, so to me it just ends up something where the illegal one is left alone somehow, and some kind of unofficial filter is able to give these hard workers with good intentions our citizenships and then they can become club members as well. I think anything less would not be justice and I consider justice to be something I can say to someone else, point them and say that to them. That is a conscious decision that I can take and sleep my nights.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Congress represents voters. Pretty much ends the discussion, huh? I can't believe it was even a question.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
            Congress represents voters. Pretty much ends the discussion, huh? I can't believe it was even a question.
            I didn't vote. Am I still represented?
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

You have reading comprehension problems, don't you?
              Why should they care what you say? You didn't vote.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                You have reading comprehension problems, don't you?
                Why should they care what you say? You didn't vote.
                I know they don't care what I say, because I'm a poor minority not because I don't vote.

The question is whether or not my state gets to count me for congressional representation.

Comment

Question: Do drug dealers and hitmen lobby congress in Washington? Should they? Should they unionize?
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

You also have problems asking the question for the answer you want, and a rampaging case of low self-esteem. These are outside whomever would have been your congressman's range of scope.

Comment

You aren't a morning person, are you Sloww?

Comment

Not really.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                          Question: Do drug dealers and hitmen lobby congress in Washington? Should they? Should they unionize?
                          New thread plz

Comment

why? it's on the same lines? or are we misinterpreting what is meant by illegal?
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                              why? it's on the same lines? or are we misinterpreting what is meant by illegal?
                              Well an illegal alien has no legal right to be in the US. Where as a drug dealers is breaking the law. There is a difference.

That being said there is nothing to stop drug dealers from lobbying congress and they just might do that.

Comment

Working...
                              X