Hindus forgetting the origins of.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sn00py

Yeah I am basing it on your pic, I am very interested to learn, I find the whole thing bizaare, all the images, gods, etc. It's a very... how do I put it.. Fantastical?
    It may seem like that to an outsider. It's evolved over thousands of years, after all.

From our point of view, the standard "suffering, bloody man nailed to a cross with a crown of thorns" who you're supposed to actually eat in a ritual reminiscent of cannibalism is also equally weird.

Comment

They're all weird.

I'm waiting for Blizzardism to be officially announced as a religion. I might join that one just for fun.

Ironically, what is equally weird is evolution. But at least more logical.
      be free

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm

The beauty of a market economy (which India became in 1991) is that nobody can "allow" or "disallow" anything any longer, specially to a religious minority (it is, regrettably, still possible to oppress, in non-market societies, such a rural India, the backward castes).
        Oh pudding. If you believe that then you guys really are new to this market economy thing.
        Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
        -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Group A didn't take the money from Group B, which was, BTW, richer than A to begin with, they simply created wealth, by embracing the new, more efficient system of education, which B did not embrace, due to their own reasons. What do you do now?
          Reject the metaphor!
          APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
            Like what?
            Being killed by Hindu nationalist fanatic-incited mobs in communal violence.

A rare privilege.
            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Perfection
              Reject the metaphor!
              If we decided to ignore your perception of reality, and focus on the metaphor as accepted, then what would you do?

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

Being killed by Hindu nationalist fanatic-incited mobs in communal violence.

A rare privilege.
                The last time such violence happened, it was incited by the people thinking that a train full of Hindus was burnt by a Muslim mob. That does not, of course, justify the violence in any way, but it does make it understandable.

Comment

Thank you for providing a link to your avatar pic in full size. It makes for so much insight and love.

Comment

Eh? Whatever that was supposed to mean, Ecthy, I don't get it.

Comment

The last time such violence happened, it was incited by the people thinking that a train full of Hindus was burnt by a Muslim mob. That does not, of course, justify the violence in any way, but it does make it understandable.
                      Yes, thinking something has happened frequently makes mob violence comprehensible.

I rarely bother waiting for evidence, explanations or corroborations before murdering passing strangers for imagined wrongs or slights I have suffered.

It's just so much, well, easier . And enjoyable- and besides, if you're really lucky, you can have the opportunity to rape someone of your choice, steal someone else's belongings, or just get some healthy exercise in and possibly get rid of some of that nasty inflammable stuff that's been cluttering up the kitchen/bathroom/garage....

Violent Hindu fanaticism- exercise and recycling. The green way of fitness and mob violence....

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

You didn't read what I said, did you, in your wish to simply respond? As I said, the violence is not justifiable, but it is understandable. Nor have I tried to justify it, either. Why the need to respond in such a sarcastic manner? Is it impossible for you to be civil?

Comment

Is it impossible for you to be civil?
                          Me, Sybil ?

Your posting is fawlty.

Comment

Gee, I didn't know there were oaks and maples in a tropical country like India. I do know there are oaks and maples in the parts of Russia the Indo-Europeans came from...

Comment

Why the need to respond in such a sarcastic manner?
                              Because saying mob violence is understandable is reprehensible.

It is not understandable for me that people decide to go and rape, mutilate, rob and kill based on nothing more than some atavistic urge to punish some other people who they don't know and have no way of knowing are responsible for some alleged event.

That's the kind of 'magical' thinking employed by psychopaths and serial killers.

You didn't read what I said, did you, in your wish to simply respond?
                              No, I did read it. I thought it mealy-mouthed and worthy of criticism.

Is it impossible for you to be civil?
                              Well, you first. After all, you posted this:

Pakis desecrate Sikh boy

The religion of peace, the religion of peace, let us all sing in la-la land, the religion of peace.......

which would indicate you approve of, or at least are familiar with, the use of sarcasm. Which now you're finding 'uncivil'...

And earlier you had posted this in another thread:

The lust you see in that sculpture is a product of your mind, not of the sculpture itself.

So if you don't want people to be 'uncivil' to you (although I addressed what you said, and didn't claim to have some long distance mindreading abilities, unlike you) or use sarcasm, then reform your own posting practices.

Otherwise, suck it up.

Comment

As far as I'm aware, the MOST restrictive laws regarding conversion are basically that you need to notify the state one month in advance if you're going to change your religious family (Shia to Sunni, or Protestant to Catholic, or Buddhist to Hindu, for instance, will be instantaneous, with no notification required).

Anyway - nobody really cares about converts to Buddhism, not even the hardliners. After all, Ashoka was a Buddhist.

In Nepal things aren't so good. Or do you mean the most restrictive laws in the provinces of India?

I suspect there are quite a few hard-liners in India who feel the same but haven't the power to impose such laws.
                                (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                                (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                                (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Working...
                                X