Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hindus forgetting the origins of.....

....their civ?

I mean mass conversion - are they all traitors?

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Thousands of tribal and Dalit Hindus in India are to embrace the Buddhist faith at a huge gathering in Mumbai.

The ceremony, which may be presided over by Tibet's exiled leader, the Dalai Lama, is billed as the largest religious conversion in modern India.

The converts hope to escape the rigid caste system in which their status is the lowest.

Right-wing Hindus have often opposed conversion, pushing some Indian states to restrict legal changes of faith.

The organisers say the number of people to convert in Sunday's ceremony could go up to 100,000, easily the biggest mass conversion in India's recent history.

Conversion controversies

The Dalits, once known as Untouchables, hope the conversion will give them dignity and equal rights.

Commentators say that despite the reservation of jobs for the Dalit and tribal communities, their social status and economic conditions have not greatly improved.

They say that Dalits still face widespread prejudice and discrimination.

Conversion is a controversial subject in India, especially if it involves Hindus converting to Christianity or Islam.

Two weeks ago two Catholic priests were publicly beaten after being accused of trying to bring a group of local people into the Catholic faith.

But converting to Buddhism does not evoke much adverse reaction, as most hardline Hindu leaders believe Buddhism is an extension of Hinduism.

Even so, several Indian states, especially the ones governed by the right-wing Bharatiya Janata Party, BJP, have made laws severely restricting conversion.
    Blah

Mass conversions to christianity and islam happen as well, mass re-conversions too. Nothing special.
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

Comment

As far as I'm aware, the MOST restrictive laws regarding conversion are basically that you need to notify the state one month in advance if you're going to change your religious family (Shia to Sunni, or Protestant to Catholic, or Buddhist to Hindu, for instance, will be instantaneous, with no notification required).

Anyway - nobody really cares about converts to Buddhism, not even the hardliners. After all, Ashoka was a Buddhist.

Comment

Why the **** should you have to tell the ****ing government what religion you are?
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I hope this is not one of those Ambedkarite conversions. They're the worst sort of rubbish. The converts to that religion of Ambedkar are called Neo-Buddhists, and they inevitably end up alienated, hating Hinduism and Hindus, and ignorant about both Buddhist and Hindu philosophy and traditions.

The problem with Ambedkarite Buddhism is that it has almost nothing to do with real Buddhism, or any of its schools. Ambedkar very cynically used the religion as a vessel into which to pour his own social agenda.

Comment

how would they know the scale of teh muslim threat otherwise?
            Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
              Why the **** should you have to tell the ****ing government what religion you are?
              The government must know the caste and religion of a person in order to give them special privileges if they're from either a minority religion or if they're a Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribe/Other Backward Class(Caste).

It's stupid, violates the principle of equality, and I know that, but I'm telling you since you asked.

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm

The government must know the caste and religion of a person in order to give them special privileges if they're from either a minority religion or if they're a Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribe/Other Backward Class(Caste).

It's stupid, violates the principle of equality, and I know that, but I'm telling you since you asked.
                That explains to me why some people must register. Do all people need to register even if they do not plan to claim benefits?
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Does Christianity count as a minority religion? If so, then what prevents agnostic or atheistic Hindus from converting to Christianity in order to grab bennies?

God, India sucks. People haven't even figured out how to properly scam the government.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I think xty doesn't get the benefits other religions get
                    Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson
                      I think xty doesn't get the benefits other religions get
                      All religions classified as "minority" get the same benefits. Islam gets a few more sops, considering that they're the largest vote bank.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

That explains to me why some people must register. Do all people need to register even if they do not plan to claim benefits?
                        The government comes to know every ten years, anyway, thanks to the census. But the census records only statistical data relevant to policy, not individual data.

The second reason these laws are made is to provide the convert with time, to reduce the chance that the conversion is fraudulent.

Comment

WTF...
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

India

Corporatist societies

Spain

Ecthy

Comment