My business plan meeting didn't go well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My business plan meeting didn't go well

It wasn't really an official thing, but I'm doing this business plan for my consulting company (information security), and this business professor takes a look at it and we discuss about it and he teaches me stuff. The idea is, that the plan should be realistic, as in if I take this to possible venture capitalists, bank or who ever, the plan itself is good. Then of course, we have been talking about .. it's not like the idea is the key here, because that's not the point, the point is to make the idea into a business plan and it should be a real one and it should be a good one.

Seems like I don't know lots of things about business plans. Man, every single thing was demolished. I have only written down few things, let's say about 10% now. I'm not even up to the part where we go numbers, just the owners, business model, background, vision, stuff like that. The only thing he liked was the vision. We didn't touch it at all, we might have to tone it down a bit and kind of ... in the next 5 years some of them things aren't to be expected.

So anyway, the big beef was with the name of the company. I couldn't come up with anything good, so I just went through some latin words, like you do when you are not creative.

So I actually left the name as a joke. I got some good names (IMO), but I left a joke there. My company was called Atrocitas Security Consulting (ACS). He said is this supposed to mean that you want to be associated with attrocities? I said, well, yes. We are fierce.

He didn't get it. I was ashamed. Never joke with strangers.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Why? Did you threaten to shank them?
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Pekka, how much schooling have you had? If your paper's don't get demolished on the graduate/PhD level at least once, then you aren't being taught properly.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

JM, I'm not a business school student so... it's to be expected. Hey, I wasn't expecting a landslide victory. Also, this course expects to be caterting to business students, masters level. But you know, the point is, I wasn't doing numbers yet. I was just doing the overall description, like the very general one. It didn't fly

It was that he liked the idea and the concept, he just didn't like how I had visioned it to happen. Things don't work like that, supposedly. But this is a great learning experience.

The idea of this is not to turn in finished plan. The idea is to do this independently, little by little, then discussion with the professor, modifications, then forward...
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

But what a great course concept. I get to do this plan that I dream of. Then he looks at it as an expert and with the precision of an investor. That is, I get to walk out from this with learning some stuff plus an actual plan that should be good in real life.
          In da butt.

Comment

If he hasn't got it by now, he's in BIG trouble.

ACK!
            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

What does he know? You are SuperCitizen. You should have shot him in the face.
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Six years later. That'll be a surprise.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

He's right about the "atrocities" association, BTW. You have to look at your name from an outsider's POV. Avoid negative connotations no matter what. (Yes, I know, your point is that you prevent/fix atrocities, but by the time the customer/investor accepts that, the negative thought has already been planted.)
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I just love the name.
                    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

The guy is an idiot.
                      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Holy thread Resurrection, batman!
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

atrocity sounds bad ass dude
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                          X