The Madeleine abduction case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Madeleine abduction case

Background: The family is on vacation in Portugal. One evening, after Madeleine is asleep, her mother and father go to a nearby tapas restaurant to enjoy a late night dinner, while checking on her every 30 minutes. When they check on her at 10 PM (or was it 10:30 PM), she is missing.

Accusations have been made from Britain, that the portuguese police have been too slow in reacting to this case, and that they have been conducting a poor investigation.

But one issue is overlooked in this case, IMHO:

What parent in his or her right mind leaves their child to go to a restaurant??? I mean, obviously, I feel for them, as this is a truly horrible situation they find themselves in, but really!! Just don't leave your child like that, ok!!

What do you think - was it ok for them to leave her asleep in the hotel room, to go to a restaurant, while checking on her every 30 minutes??

/discuss

Asmodean
    Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Re: The Madeleine abduction case

Originally posted by Asmodean
    But one issue is overlooked in this case, IMHO:
    Not overlooked at all. I haven't followed the media reaction in detail, but UK message boards have been obsessing about the parents' neglect ever since.

Comment

Yeah - perhaps on boards, but it surprises me very muc that this hasn't been more of an issue in the media. The case is sure highly profiled, so it's not lack of opportunity.

Asmodean
      Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

It's a sign of the times. People give a higher priority to their own partying needs than supervising toddlers properly. Plus, I don't believe for a minute that they were "checking on her every 30 minutes". Criminal negligence is what this amounts to in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Emetri
          It's a sign of the times.
          Hardly. This was a rare case, and generally kids are more closely supervised than ever. See the 40's-70's thread.

Comment

WTF?! What's wrong with leaving a kid soundly asleep in a room?
            "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

and Emetri, they weren't 'partying' as you put it. They were eating.

Eli, the restaurant was a couple of hundred yards away I think, not in the same building.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                Eli, the restaurant was a couple of hundred yards away I think, not in the same building.
                That would get me uncomfortable, but I still don't see it as something extremely negligent.

Let's be realistic here. Kids don't usually get kidnapped when left alone. The coverage this story gets is a sign of how extremely rarely it happens. I'd bet that much more damage was done by parents who smoke near their children or stuff along those lines, than by parents who left their kids sleeping in a room, even without checking up on them every 30 minutes.
                "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

I find it absolutely normal to put a baby child to sleep and leave the house if it's at home.

In a holiday you generally wouldn't expect anyone to steal your baby child so it shouldn't be any different.

Comment

Sure, it's just like having a cat, really. Only with less shedding.

Comment

We're talking about the late night when kids are asleep. Do you see this Emetri?

Or are you one of those new generation people who don't let their kids play outside because they might be ass raped?

Comment

Opinion piece on the reaction :

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodean
                          Yeah - perhaps on boards, but it surprises me very muc that this hasn't been more of an issue in the media. The case is sure highly profiled, so it's not lack of opportunity.

Asmodean
                          I have only heard one report on this story but the "negligence" issue was raised....

I tend to agree with Eli. Sure, hindsight is 20/20 and the parents would do things differently now but I suspect this sort of thing (leaving sleeping kids in a nearby building) happens quite frequently. As was pointed out, it is the abduction that is extremely rare.
                          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I think I was left at home alone for hours as early as I can remember (5). I can't remember being a toddler though.

Jon Miller
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

A tragedy for the family and the little girl, but why is this massive news around the world?

1. Cute young white girl
                              2. Playing on parent's fears and sympathy, "could this happen to me"

Good way to sell issues of your tabloid paper.

This is a perfect example of something that is news but is blown into "BIG NEWS", what about the integrity of this family? I saw a picture in a paper of the mother going for a walk with the missing girls plush toy in her hands

That's disgusting to publish a picture like that, and the people reading about it feeling "sorry" are disgusting as well. You don't give a **** about this really, but it's like a movie where the bizarre and horrible can be watched without any real consequence to yourself.

Don't let me hear about how you feel so sorry for this girl and her family, there are millions of kids over the world living in sewers, brothels, slave labour factorys and harshly abused. Your only feeling is intimidation that this happened to someone in "your world".
                              It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Working...
                              X