that the supply curve is flat
    Why the hell would you assume that?
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

Unbelievable! This is what I've been saying except that the producers with the higher average costs will not sell their farms but wait for demand to increase.
      A lowered demand curve simply intersects the supply curve at a lower price and a lower quantity.

The marginal suppliers stop supplying. So where does this add up to an increase in the price?
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
        Kids analysis is correct, but starts from an absurd assumption.

It doesn't matter that the producers have different average costs, so there is nothing wrong with the assumption. It works. I was just trying to be simple.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

What the **** are you talking about?

For ****'s sake, look at the diagram at the top of the page.

We start at D2. We stop eating meat. We move to D1. Where does your price increase come in?
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

A lowered demand curve simply intersects the supply curve at a lower price and a lower quantity.

The marginal suppliers stop supplying. So where does this add up to an increase in the price?
            As LotM has pointed out short run loses are normal business in agriculture. You don't just sell your farm because you don't earn as much money or even lose money. In fact, you probably have insurance. The price will increase when demand increases again, probably do to population increase.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
              What the **** are you talking about?

For ****'s sake, look at the diagram at the top of the page.

We start at D2. We stop eating meat. We move to D1. Where does your price increase come in?
              STFU idiot!

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

As LotM has pointed out short run loses are normal business in agriculture. You don't just sell your farm because you don't earn as much money or even lose money. In fact, you probably have insurance. The price will increase when demand increases again, probably do to population increase.
                Who the **** are you, Malthus?

You're a ****ing muppet.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Oh, and could you explain to me what the sale (or not) of individuals' farms to other entities has to do with this, you numbskull?
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

KIDDDIIIEEEE, I missed you. You brighten my days.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• "At some hypothetical point in the future, the supply curve will be shifted because more people will be around eating food. Therefore, any shift in the demand curve is meaningless."

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Who the **** are you, Malthus?

You're a ****ing muppet.
                        Read the ****ing thread! I'm not going to cater to you.

Comment

"At some hypothetical point in the future, the supply curve will be shifted because more people will be around eating food. Therefore, any shift in the demand curve is meaningless."

I specifically said that the supply curve would not shift. Therefore the price would return to equilibrium.

Wow! You are soooo incredibly stupid.

Comment

Why the hell would you assume that?
                            I didnt, it just seemed implicit in what Kid said. Now its less clear if thats what he meant.
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious

It doesn't matter that the producers have different average costs, so there is nothing wrong with the assumption. It works. I was just trying to be simple.
                              it matters immensely, its what determines the elasticity of supply.
                              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark

I didnt, it just seemed implicit in what Kid said. Now its less clear if thats what he meant.
                                The long run price is determined by the average cost + normal profit. Of course most producers will make greater than normal profit because they have more productive land, lower taxes, cheaper labor whatever.

Comment

Working...
                                X