No announcement yet.

Piracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If most people are like me, they use piracy as a means to test a product before buying.

I am a hopeless consumer/collector/idiot. If I really enjoy a film, CD, game, or whatever, I feel the need to own a part of that product.

I don't feel any guilt at all enjoying pirated materials. I do not buy the products I like to feel like a good corporate citizen or to support the producers of the material. I buy because I feel a need to own what I like. I feel the need to try and capture a great experience, to bottle it so to speak.
    Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Aaar matey!
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Sharing is theft.
        ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Explains why you never had any friends.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

lol, joncha doesn't have any friends
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

It's true.
              ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Wiggy... charges steming from piracy and those from shoplifting ARE different, and they differ dramaticaly.

Shoplifting is stealing from a store and usually has a charge of Theft < $500 (unless of course you completely fill your baggy jeans or try to stuff a computer up your shirt, then your looking at Theft < $1000), or some places actually have a Shoplifting Ordinance.

Piracy isn't really even considered stealing in Law. It's a computer crime (hmmm... perhaps I'm wrong and Computer Crime works as an enhancer, I'd have to actually look it up but I'm fairly sure I'll have more important things to do while at work).

Seeing as people can download from anywhere to anywhere, you'd have to have a national law (or indeed an international law, and good luck getting anything like that done) that is enforced everywhere. Since that is impossible, RIAA (and such... do they cover movies?) go after people civilly.
                Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

I'm paying for my internet connection and phone line so I can download what I want. The record and movie companies can go and badger them for a share of my cash....

BTW there a plenty of films I've downloaded that I wouldn't have bought, Spiderman 3 is cr@p for instance.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation of the distinction between stealing actual products, and piracy of products guys.
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

whats the difference

between pirating a song, game or movie and

Tresspassing on someones property when theyre not using it? Sneaking into an uncrowded movie theater? In those instances, nothing tangible has been taken, and no one has been deprived of the use of anything. All that the movie theater owner loses when you sneak in is "potential" revenue. It may well be that you wouldnt have seen it at all if you had to pay for it, so hes not lost even that. It may be that after seeing it for 5 minutes free, and deciding you like it, you will go out and pay for it, or will at least tell your friends how good it is, so its like advertising.
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever
                        I'm paying for my internet connection and phone line so I can download what I want. The record and movie companies can go and badger them for a share of my cash....
                        They may well end up doing that, and then all of us who use an internet conn and phone line and dont dl will have to pay for everyone who does.
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Sounds good to me!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                            lol, joncha doesn't have any friends
                            joncha is MY friend

Comment

Originally posted by b etor

joncha is MY friend

my condolences
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144

come enforce the law. then the incentive will be readily known.

The reason I dont shoplift is because its higher risk, lower value. The reason I pirate (hell I havent even done it in more than a year now) is the lower risk, equal value.

Im tired of whiny baby "artists". find a way to make money or stfu. simply whining and trying to drum up pity wont do it. artists generally make art regardless of income from it, a lot of times in spite of income from it.
                                not everyone involved in a game, film, or music is an "artist". Thousands of techies, recording engineers, etc, all contributing to YOUR product.

Comment

Working...
                                X