Six degrees of music, anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six degrees of music, anyone?

Thought of an idea for wasting time efficiently, and I thought that maybe Apolyton's denizens might up to the challenge.

Rules last amended on May 28, 2007

You know the game "six degrees of Kevin Bacon?" The idea being that someone names an actor or an actress, and you have to link them to the actor Kevin Bacon through six or fewer movie-connections.

Well, I thought it'd be fun to try this for musicians/bands.

NOTE: You don't have to have encyclopedic knowledge of music to participate... the Internets will help you! Read the tips for participants below, and join right in!

Here's the rules:

The winner of each round names two artists/bands to connect, and the job of anyone willing to take the challenge is to link these artists together through colaborations or covers, or band assosiations, in six or fewer steps.

When choosing artists/bands, you don't have to know the path yourself, or even whether a path exists - if no path can be found by anyone, then we can decide to start with new names after a while.

To take an example: Starting with Peter Gabriel and ending with Tom Jones:

1. Peter Gabriel collaborated with Sinead O'Connor on the song "Blood of Eden"
    2. Sinead O'Connor sung "Nothing Compares to U", a song written by Prince
    3. Prince wrote the song "Kiss", which was covered by Tom Jones.

Further, include a YouTube clip for each performance / song along the chain, if at all possible, or alternatively a sample clip, if you can find it on the net. If you don't know how to embed youtube clips, or audio clips onto your posts, read the "Tips to spice things up, and to help participants" below.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rules for the choise of bands/artists:
    [list=1][*] The artist/band should primarily perform in English[*] The artist/band should have a Wikipedia entry OR an equivalent, easily found, informative article on the net, OTHER than the band's official site, or myspace. [*]If the artist has another carreer (such as acting), the artist must at the very least have published one album, either as a solo artist or as a member of a band. [*]The winner of the round must choose the next two artists within 30 minutes of posting the solution. If no new artists are given within that 30 minutes, then anyone can choose the next two artists, simply by posting their choise first, after the 30 minutes has elapsed.[/list=1]

An added suggestion - extra respect will be earned by managing to link the artists WITHOUT involving The Beatles in the chain.... everybody's covered the beatles! Also, try to avoid Christmas albums if you can - so many people have sung classic Christmas songs that they may make things too easy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tips to spice things up, and to help participants:

1. When you've found a path, do a few searches on YouTube (or alternatively use Youtube searches to find the links!) to see whether they have videos of the relevant songs. On each video, to the right of the video, there's a box titled "Embed" - copy the contents of the box, and paste them to your message, and the vide will appear embedded in the message, as can be seen from my posts below. If you take a moment to do this, it'll nicely add entertainment and make the thread more interesting.

2. If you can't find a relevant youtube clip, do a search at www.last.fm, and see if they've got an audio clip of what you're looking for. Notice that last.fm has an "embed" box under the clip player, just like youtube has for it's videos. Copy and paste that code to the post, and you've got the clip with the player added onto the post.

3. To add a picture of the artists you choose in your message, just do a google search on the artists, click the "images" tab, and pick an image you like. Save that image, and submit it to http://tinypic.com/ - the site doesn't require registration, and with a couple of clicks you get ready copy-paste code that you can use in your post to add the picture on to the forum.

3. Good sources to help you find connections between artists:

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Wikipedia is a free online encyclopedia, created and edited by volunteers around the world and hosted by the Wikimedia Foundation.

The world's largest online music service. Listen online, find out more about your favourite artists, and get music recommendations, only at Last.fm

So let's try it, being the first poster, as the first artist, I choose.... (The thread started with older version of the rules, where first poster named one artist, and the second poster the artist to link the first artist with)

PJ Harvey :

So... next poster, please pick the artist or band to connect her to!
    Last edited by MightyTiny; May 28, 2007, 09:59.
    Only the most intelligent, handsome/beautiful denizens of apolyton may join the game :)

The problem is myself, and most polytubbies are not normal and don't listen to popular music. They listen to strange music.

Although PJ Harvey is not pop I know. I liked her mid 90's stuff. but she lost the heavier sound.

I think this would be a lot harder too. I think I could name a band that it would be impossible to link her too.

Anal **** (auto censore is annoying, the second word rhymres with runt)

Comment

Two artists I've never heard of.

Can we have a restart?
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Who the fark is PJ Harvey?

Comment

No restarts!

Anal **** it is

And while this is definitely a challenge, I believe I've already found a place to start.... an outward leading link away from the trash metal scene.

I'll see if I can get the link established tonight... unless someone beats me to it, of course....
          Only the most intelligent, handsome/beautiful denizens of apolyton may join the game :)

Comment

Originally posted by Zopperoni
            Who the fark is PJ Harvey?
            You might best remember her for this:

or perhaps this colaboration:

Comment

OK here goes:

From Anal **** to PJ harvey - exactly 6 degrees of separation:

1. Seth Putnam of Anal **** guested on Pantera's "The Great Southern Trendkill"

2. Pantera covers Black Sabbath's "Planet Caravan":

3. Black Sabbath's "Hand of Doom" is covered by Slayer. (No video available)

4. Tori amos covers Slayers "Raining Blood":

5. Tori Amos plays the harpsichord in a live version of "Unravel" with Björk:

6. And finally... Björk sings the Rolling Stones' "Satisfaction" as a duet with PJ Harvey:

Whew.... now that was HARD!

So, the next artist to start with:

Fiona Apple

And please be a tiny bit more gentle this time around.

Comment

I don't have nearly enough musical knowledge for this. I strongly doubt there are amny people here with the encyclopaedic musical knowledge required to participate. You might want to pick easier artists.
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

You know, you might want to try a search on the Internets....

It's not as if I had the discographies of all those bands in my head either.

A good resource, for example, is the covers project: http://www.coversproject.com/

That, plus google and youtube, and you've got the tools you need.

Comment

They don't really address the problem as it truly exists.
                    THe simple fact is, they're lazy. Motivation is a word unknown to them in any language.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

And still they play Civilization. I'd think that in the off-topic forum of a strategy game, one would find people quite happy to participate in a cerebral game.

Anyway, in case there IS someone besides me interested in playing, would someone please continue by naming the artist/band to which Fiona Apple is to be linked to?

(Oh, and perhaps a slight addition to the rules should be in order, to prevent TRULY impossible challenges - the band/artist in question should perform at least mostly in English, and should have an entry on Wikipedia. Just to ensure that anyone doesn't pick their garage band specialized on Inuit throat singing.)

Comment

OK, I'll bite, but gently (possibly too gently)... Jon Anderson.
                        This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Your problem, MightyTiny, is twofold:

1. People who seriously play Civ mostly don't have lives and don't have the knowledge to do this

2. People in the OT are worse; not only are they without a life, but many of them don't play Civ anymore either, so they're not even that serious players
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                            Your problem, MightyTiny, is twofold:

1. People who seriously play Civ mostly don't have lives and don't have the knowledge to do this
                            Having a life is not a requirement for participation. In fact, it may even be a hinderance.

Excessive musical knowledge not required either, as we've got the Internets to help us.

2. People in the OT are worse; not only are they without a life, but many of them don't play Civ anymore either, so they're not even that serious players
                            All the more reason to whip their grey cells back into shape!

And Jon Anderson (best known as the lead singer of "Yes" - according to the internets), has been selected, so the challenge is now to link

Jon Anderson -> Fiona apple

And I'm hoping for the solution from someone not named MightyTiny.

[edit:] This one's very easy - just quickly looked into it and solved it almost without trying. So a gentle start for anyone wanting to take part... anyone?
                            Last edited by MightyTiny; May 8, 2007, 06:23.

Comment

Fiona Apple covered Cat Stevens' 'Father and Son'.

Cat Stevens' song 'Peace Train' was covered by 10 000 Maniacs, who also covered David Bowie's 'Moonage Daydream'

David Bowie co-wrote 'Fame' with John Lennon and Carlos Alomar, and Alan White performed in John Lennon's Plastic Ono Band, but was also in Yes...whose lead singer was Jon Anderson.

Fiona Apple-Cat Stevens-10 000 Maniacs-David Bowie-John Lennon-Alan White-Jon Anderson

Darn.
                              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                              X