X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another story of women having no say in India

Indian groom too drunk to wed, so brother steps in
    Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:57AM BST

PATNA, India (Reuters) - Villagers at a wedding in eastern India decided the groom had arrived too drunk to get married, and so the bride married the groom's more sober brother instead, police said on Monday.

"The groom was drunk and had reportedly misbehaved with guests when the bride's family and local villagers chased him away," Madho Singh, a senior police officer told Reuters after Sunday's marriage in a village in Bihar state's Arwal district.

The younger brother readily agreed to take the groom's place beside the teenage bride at her family's invitation, witnesses said.

"The groom apologised for his behaviour, but has been crying that word will spread and he will never get a bride again," Singh said by phone.
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Aneeshm, I told you to stay off the bottle for at least a week before your wedding
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Classic stuff... show up for your brothers wedding, and end up being the groom. AND EVERYBODY GOES ALONG WITH IT AND NOBODY HAS A PROBLEM WITH IT...

It must suck to be a woman in India.
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It was the bride's family's idea!

How's that for an arranged marriage?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

How do you know she's not okay with it? If the groom was a drunk perhaps she prefers the younger brother
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I know that I shouldn't be so insensitive as to laugh at this, but I just can't stop!

Funnily enough, all this would be impermissible under Kautilyan law. The real irony here is that this is happening in the city of Kautilya himself.

Comment

Well, she got somebody off the same family who a) is younger and b) drinks less. Doesn't sound like a bad deal for the bride.

Still

Comment

Anyway - India is vast, and diverse. This made the news precisely because it was considered freaky enough that we in India thought that it was newsworthy, too. Freaky stuff like this keeps happening, there's not much you can do except wait for progress to catch up, and use other means to mitigate things for now.

Comment

Sir Ralph, that had occurred to me: at least she dodged the drunk. Fewer beatings that way, probably.

Aneesh - of course. Definitely newsworthy.

-Arrian

Comment

I thought this was a regular occurrence
                      One time on Sidgames OT, we had someone spam something against Pakistan asking for money regarding womens' rights. People brought up plenty of instances of India being just as bad if not worse.
                      "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                      "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                      "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse

I thought this was a regular occurrence
                        What the hell?

You actually thought this was normal?

Comment

Sure.

If a bride didn't like the husband and he showed up at the wedding too drunk I think most brides would tell the husband to buzz off.

That's so disrespectful to her and her family.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Um, Ben, that's not the funny part...

-Arrian

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Sure.

If a bride didn't like the husband and he showed up at the wedding too drunk I think most brides would tell the husband to buzz off.
                              She most probably isn't even educated, just like everyone else involved in the wedding. What do you expect?

The concept of the bride or the groom saying "No" to their families when they tell them to get married is unheard of in some backwaters. Bihari villages are prime examples of such areas. In fact, Bihar is the sort of "bad example" to other states. Everyone uses it as a standard reference for what not to be.

I know because people in Pune have become distrustful of student tenants after some bunches of Bihari students ruined the image of students coming from outside the state. I myself had difficulty getting a place to stay.

Of course, in the social circles in which I move, and have been born and brought up, this sort of thing would be completely unthinkable. The girls I know and who I count among my friends don't take any crap from anyone.

Here's to them

Comment

Working...
                              X