What is wrong with love?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More 70'iesh fashion for Dis :

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Last a little leather chick

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Love is a Battlefield
        Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
        Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
        One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

[OT]The house I grew up in, my parents bought from the Quatro family. When I was a kid, Suzi came by to see the old place. I had no idea who she was.

I don't know if she had much musical fame in the US. I remember her most for being Leather Tuscadero (Pinky's sis) on Happy Days.[/OT]
          Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
          Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
            Last a little leather chick
            female, check. leather, check. bass skillz, check. folks we have a winner.
            I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
            [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Re: What is wrong with love?

Originally posted by Dis
              Love screws up the brain. That's the only thing I can think of. It makes you do stupid things. Like shoot a whole bunch of people. I fail to see any good use for it.
              If you're referring to what happened in Blacksburg yesterday, so far there is no evidence that he had a recently failed love affair, far from it, it would appear that he had never had a love affair at all.
              From an evolutionary standpoint is love really necessary for the propagation of the species? We already have hormones that cause us to want to ****. Why is it necessary to love someone? We also have hormones that cause the mother to take care of her offspring. That's a different kind of love.
              I'm not sure they're so different, but little girls often spend a significant part of their childhoods role playing maternal love. Love between a man and a woman ensures that Moms have dad to cover their six while Mom is busy raising Junior.

Or perhaps love is just a byproduct of having a large brain. It still seems possible to have a large brain, and not have emotions though.
              You poor man, have you never had a dog who loved you without qualification? Do you need counselling or should we just take your guns away?

I still say love will only bring you down.
              Right, I need your current location. Stay where you are, a black and white unit is on its way.

Hey, that's it! What this country needs is the L-O-V-E police!
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Positive song with "love" in the title

I'm holding on to love

Though it would be better to look at the singer instead of the scene from a dumb movie:
                Attached Files
                (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Comment

Comment

Over analazation thats whats wrong with it.
                      When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                      "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                      Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Comment

Love is way over rated and its expectations are out of proportion.
                          be free

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                            From an evolutionary standpoint is love really necessary for the propagation of the species? We already have hormones that cause us to want to ****. Why is it necessary to love someone? We also have hormones that cause the mother to take care of her offspring. That's a different kind of love.
                            Love ensures that both parents of a child stay together long enough to raise it together, giving it the best chance of survival.

I've read articles and seen documentaries about how there are several hormones that control this feeling of love and that they only last for ~3 years.

That seems to match with my experience of couples too anyway. If couples don't break up by the time they're 2-3 years together, they'll likely stay together.
                            Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

Makes parents stick together to increase the chances of the offspring.
                              Lots of species with relatively few offsprings that need to maximize chances of each do similar things (many bird couples stick together for life, etc..)

EDIT:damn it Mercator. I should have typed before watching these videos

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Avalon

Comment

Working...
                                X