Computer addiction: time to change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer addiction: time to change

Computer games are destroying me. For example, I have an exam in friday, and my only chance to avoid it is to talk to one lady. But I've missed a talk with her today, because I've been playing HoM&M and surfing the net all night. I've missed lessons with someone I really like for the same reason as well.
    It's happening on and on.
    I still have a chance to talk with this lady 1 day before the exam, but she will be angry that I'm coming to her that late, probably.

I've decided I need to change. I will only play computer games 1,5h/day, will only spend 1/2 h posting at poly and doing anything in the net but sending e-mails.
    Additional 1h may be spent on Civ2 as long as it is in order to progress my scns (not likely, as CIv2 doesn't want to work on my computer right now).

Each day I will be posting a review of my success in fighting my addition. If I do not succeed, call me names.
    If I do, praise me.

Thank You.
    Bye
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

I have a similar issue. I do go to work and all. But I am not as efficient as I good be (more net addiction than computer addiction).

Jon Miller
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Your only chance is cold turkey - if you say you will only play/surf for a certain time, invariably you will end up failing but with a healthy dose of self-loathing thrown in for good measure...

Avoid the PC from now until you see that woman tomorrow - you have been warned!
      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Stop playing games

But don't stop posting. Do stop getting yourself banned, though
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Actually, getting banned might be just the thing he needs right now...
          Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Re: Computer addiction: time to change

Originally posted by Heresson

I've decided I need to change.
            There is help available. You are not alone. http://www.civanon.org/
            The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
            "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
            "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
            The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS
              Your only chance is cold turkey - if you say you will only play/surf for a certain time, invariably you will end up failing but with a healthy dose of self-loathing thrown in for good measure...
              I agree.

What do you actually *need* the computer for, Heresson? Can you print the necessary stuff out and do parts of it on paper instead? can you use university computers rather than your own? Are there enough study halls (with or without computers) at university? Try and go there rather than doing your work at home. It helps. It certainly helped me, because I had fewer distractions, more of a feeling I had to do something since I went out to uni, and simply because I got out more.

I could say uninstall those games (likewise with the banning), but that probably won't help much either, because you'll still find ways to waste your time on the computer anyway.
              Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Ban Heresson.
                DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Re: Computer addiction: time to change

Originally posted by Heresson
                  Computer games are destroying me. For example, I have an exam in friday, and my only chance to avoid it is to talk to one lady. But I've missed a talk with her today, because I've been playing HoM&M and surfing the net all night. I've missed lessons with someone I really like for the same reason as well.
                  It's happening on and on.
                  I still have a chance to talk with this lady 1 day before the exam, but she will be angry that I'm coming to her that late, probably.

I've decided I need to change. I will only play computer games 1,5h/day, will only spend 1/2 h posting at poly and doing anything in the net but sending e-mails.
                  Additional 1h may be spent on Civ2 as long as it is in order to progress my scns (not likely, as CIv2 doesn't want to work on my computer right now).

Each day I will be posting a review of my success in fighting my addition. If I do not succeed, call me names.
                  If I do, praise me.

Thank You.
                  Bye

Good luck, soldier.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS
                    Actually, getting banned might be just the thing he needs right now...
                    Nah, I've actually spent last night discussing certain matters regarding my ban with a certain mod
                    I could, kind of, say that it's all his fault
                    It wouldn't save my time, and would only get me frustrated.

Thank You all.
                    I need to find my other addition as well - cookies. I just bought a 1kg of cookies and consumed much of it on my way home. I'm not fat, but...

Alexander I - thanks, but I don't want to stop playing. I want to limit it, control it.
                    The worst part is that I do not enjoy playing much, but while it gives me tiny pleasure, other things don't give me any pleasure at all.
                    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                    Middle East!

Comment

Reject Hedonism!

If not much gives you pleasure, it should be easy?

Jon Miller
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Should this be :frogcry: or :froglol: ?

Seriously, take care of business first, then play games/surf the net.
                        Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                        Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                        One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
                          Ban Heresson.
                          QFT
                          "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                          "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Get a Mac. That's what I did, it worked.
                            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
                              Ban Heresson.
                              Anti-huggies

Originally posted by germanos
                              QFT
                              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                              X