Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There are positively too many South Korean stereotypes to keep us busy, such that we have no time for the rest of the Asian stereotypes.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• "Two professors from India and Israel were among the dead at the Virginia Tech shooting, the deadliest in U.S. history.

Liviu Librescu, 75, an engineering science and mathematics lecturer tried to stop the gunman from entering his classroom by blocking the door before he was fatally shot, his son said Tuesday from Tel Aviv, Israel.

"My father blocked the doorway with his body and asked the students to flee," Joe Librescu said in a telephone interview of his father, who immigrated to Israel from Romania, and then moved to Virginia for his sabbatical."
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• For christ sake -- why must you always focus on the jews? Other people died too.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• (kevin) Granata and his students researched muscle and reflex response and robotics. Puri called him one of the top five biomechanics researchers in the country working on movement dynamics in cerebral palsy.

G.V. Loganathan, 51, civil and environmental engineering professor, according to his brother G.V. Palanivel.

He seems to be the Indian prof mentioned above.

I thought the story of Librescu worth posting, for his actions to stop the gunman.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• There's also the whole survivor-of-the-holocaust thing.
            "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

• There's also the "Israeli gunned down, not by Palestinian militant, but crazed South Korean student" angle.

-Arrian
              Last edited by Arrian; April 17, 2007, 11:23.
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Q Cubed
                2. The guy was obviously broken. If he really wanted to kill his girlfriend, the presence of guns wouldn't have stopped him; nor would the lack of guns.
                However if he didn't have easy access to guns, and killed her with say, a knife - there would very likely be 30+ other people still alive today...

Still, it's your country...
                Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• I don't think pistols are terribly hard to come by on the black market.
                  DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

• Supposedly he had a receipt, which would seem to indicate a purchase from a store.

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• The point is that if this is an irrational and suicidal act of passion motivated by a woman as seems a major speculation, then the most kind of forward planning this guy would do would be to get a weapon from an easily accessible source!

Guns are far too easily and legally accessible in the US, it's that simple...

Comment

• I mean, how many of us have black market connections right now!?

Sure I could take a trip to a dodgy neighbourhood and ask some shady customers in the roughest pub or something, but I wouldn't feel confident about doing that and not getting beaten up, robbed, ripped off etc...

And it would likely take me a while to get someone's confidence etc - I certainly couldn't get it in the middle of some terrible fit of rage or whatever.

And by then I'd probably have calmed down anyway...

Now, huge razor sharp kitchen knives are a different matter...

Comment

• So has it been confirmed then that the killer is South Korean?

The delay in information is probably due to the fact that they have a large area cordoned off and it will take days for them to finish up the forensics. They also have to contact all the families and inform them before they can release any information at all.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• I mean, how many of us have black market connections right now!?

Think of it this way... how hard is it to get marijuana if you really wanted it?
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                              I mean, how many of us have black market connections right now!?

Think of it this way... how hard is it to get marijuana if you really wanted it?

I have 3 friends right now who could supply me with good stuff...

Guns however. I don't know a single person with even a hint of being involved with guns. Some people might know some people, who know some people - but that's likely as far as it goes...

I could get hold of a reasonable arsenal of swords and crossbows etc - but I doubt my murderous tally on Queen Street would get much above one...

Comment

• Germany has quite strict gun law, but it didn't prevent a high schooler from gunning down 19 last year in Erfurt.

So if you really want to kill people, gun control is NOT the issue.
                                Last edited by One_more_turn; April 17, 2007, 19:16.

Comment

Working...
                                X