Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you, as a meat-eater, justify the violence inherent in your food?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People are too self-conscious for their own good.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly bloom

NEE NAH NEE NAH NEE NAH NEE NAH NEE NAH NEE NAH

" Doctor doctor- he has an ironic infarction and acute humour deprivation ! "

" Nurse- I recommend an immediate dose of the Marx Brothers, followed up by intravenous Dorothy Parker. Nothing else can save the patient from his own po-facedness! "
      Youre just such a laugh riot, MB, you crack me up.

Have you considered doing stand-up?
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian

I *love* eating lamb, though I eat it only rarely (holidays, basically). Far more than pork. But there is the matter of whether the way lamb is raised & killed is "humane" (SR's "merciful" is probably better). Meh.

-Arrian
        You should really try goat - it's very similar to lamb, except without that one weird bit of taste that lamb sometimes has.
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

• Originally posted by aneeshm

No. That's because onions and garlic are supposed to lead people to tamas, or inertness, dullness, inertia, associated with the lower emotions and mental states. Nothing to do with the sanctity of the onions or garlic themselves.
          You forgot to mention how they're also alleged to inflame people sexually.

Nothing to do with the sanctity of the onions or garlic themselves.
          Alliumist!

All hail the Sacred Onion!
          Attached Files
          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• No. That's because onions and garlic are supposed to lead people to tamas, or inertness, dullness, inertia, associated with the lower emotions and mental states.

Inert, dull... yep, that sure sounds like Italians. Oh, wait...

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark
              Its the A. Intelligence as the only criterion and the B. Below a certain level of intelligence, eating meat being 100% morally neutral that gives me pause.
              a) "Intelligence" in reference to animals is even more of an umbrella term than it is in humans. It does not simply refer to an animal's ability to run through a maze. It encompasses a number of different ideas, such as: self-awareness, awareness of its environment, level of communication and empathy with others of its species and with human beings etc.

b) The enjoyment that I get out of eating meat has a certain moral value. It does not rise to the level where eating monkey is a net gain, but it does rise to the level where eating pig is. Pretty simple, especially because I think there are a very few animals which are "intelligent" enough to merit much consideration at all.

If push came to shove and I was hungry I would eat monkey and dolphin. But when it's simply a matter of taste, I choose to leave them alone.
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

no fruits and veggies, lost of cholesterol.

Shes clearly trying to kill you.
                I always suspected that.

Still I'd rather call it collective suicide, as half of the eggs and one chicken half is for her.

Comment

• Defintely steak for lunch !!!
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

aneeshm - you might be interested in this

folks who think religion is irrelevant to ethics - you will find nothing of interest there.
                    A very interesting perspective.

Even if we do not take everything literally, the core argument - arising out of the compassion of man and God for his creation - remains unchanged.

Thanks.

Comment

• I am a vegeterrian, and have been a vegan. I have never eaten meat on purpose.

However, my reasons relate to disgust or health, not out of concern for the intelligence of the animal. If I was ever to eat meat, it wouldn't likely be oysters... despite them having no intelligence at all.

Jon Miller
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse

a) "Intelligence" in reference to animals is even more of an umbrella term than it is in humans. It does not simply refer to an animal's ability to run through a maze. It encompasses a number of different ideas, such as: self-awareness, awareness of its environment, level of communication and empathy with others of its species and with human beings etc.

b) The enjoyment that I get out of eating meat has a certain moral value. It does not rise to the level where eating monkey is a net gain, but it does rise to the level where eating pig is. Pretty simple, especially because I think there are a very few animals which are "intelligent" enough to merit much consideration at all.

If push came to shove and I was hungry I would eat monkey and dolphin. But when it's simply a matter of taste, I choose to leave them alone.
                        If you had a range of foods before you, and had no particular meat craving at all, would you eat vegetarian in preference to eating pig (health considerations aside)? It seems to me that the utilitarian calculus youve established above would lead to that result.
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian

Inert, dull... yep, that sure sounds like Italians. Oh, wait...

-Arrian
                          That's what was believed at that time these injunctions were written, Arrian.

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark If you had a range of foods before you, and had no particular meat craving at all, would you eat vegetarian in preference to eating pig (health considerations aside)? It seems to me that the utilitarian calculus youve established above would lead to that result.
                            Not trying to speak for KH, but I agree with his quoted post.

If it was for that night only, then yes. Last night I ate the vegetarian option at my cafeteria, because the meat options didn't look as good to me. The calculation came down to what tasted better and, for that night, the vegatarian preference looked as though it tasted better.
                            I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

• If you had a range of foods before you, and had no particular meat craving at all, would you eat vegetarian in preference to eating pig (health considerations aside)? It seems to me that the utilitarian calculus youve established above would lead to that result.

I would almost always rather eat a meat dish than a vegetarian dish.

But assuming that I had exactly 0 preference ( ) then yes, I would choose the veggie dish, unless I was looking to get large amounts of protein (which I almost always am)

It's a minimal consideration in my mind.
                              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Killing it is the new killing it
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by aneeshm

That's what was believed at that time these injunctions were written, Arrian.
                                Yeah, and it's funny.

I *might* be able to live without meat. But onions and garlic too? Not a chance in hell.

-Arrian
                                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                                X