Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you, as a meat-eater, justify the violence inherent in your food?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you, as a meat-eater, justify the violence inherent in your food?

As a vegetarian, I consider meat eating to be abhorrent, for both religious as well as secular reasons.

The religious reason is that there is tremendous violence inherent in the way that food is obtained. Such violence is not good for the perpetrator.

The secular reason is that killing animals and eating them is, frankly, disgusting. Another secular reason is that eating meat kills the seeds of great compassion.

How do you, as a meat eater (if, that is, you are a meat eater), justify the violence inherent in your food, and inherent in the act of obtaining it? Violence of that nature is, after all, negative, no matter which way you slice it.

I don't justify anything. I just eat it.
    Blah

Comment

The secular reason is that killing animals and eating them is, frankly, disgusting.
      What disgusts one person may not disgust another.

I enjoy eating beef, chicken, pork, lamb... though I'll admit that raw chicken is pretty icky.

I don't feel the need to justify it. Does the lion justify his consumption of gazelle?

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I give meaning to the lives of the noble animals that lay down their lives for me. Without me, they'd have no reason to exist.
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Re: How do you, as a meat-eater, justify the violence inherent in your food?

Originally posted by aneeshm
          As a vegetarian, I consider meat eating to be abhorrent, for both religious as well as secular reasons.

The religious reason is that there is tremendous violence inherent in the way that food is obtained. Such violence is not good for the perpetrator.

The secular reason is that killing animals and eating them is, frankly, disgusting. Another secular reason is that eating meat kills the seeds of great compassion.

How do you, as a meat eater (if, that is, you are a meat eater), justify the violence inherent in your food, and inherent in the act of obtaining it? Violence of that nature is, after all, negative, no matter which way you slice it.
          How do You justify violence against plants, which can't even try to defend themselves or run away?
          "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
          I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
          Middle East!

Comment

If plants can't run away it's their own fault!
            Blah

Comment

Apparently farm animals can't run away either, so it's their fault as well
              "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
              I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
              Middle East!

Comment

Let's turn the situation around a bit.

Imagine a race of aliens invades Earth tomorrow. Or rather, they just show up in the neighbourhood. For them, human meat is delicious. Also assume that they exist on a higher plane of consciousness or rationality than we do. Their technology is so much more advanced than ours that we are playthings in their hands.

Now they, seeing that we kill and eat animals based on the idea that we are more advanced or rational than animals, conclude that we cannot claim the right not to be eaten. They commence humanely slaughtering humans, and sending us back to their home planet in little tin cans. They don't kill too many - only a few million every year.

What justification will you, as a meat-eater, give to stop yourself being killed and eaten yourself?

Comment

Bigger guns.
                  Blah

Comment

I assure you, if an animal one day comes up to me and says "Hey, I'm capable of abtract thought just as you are, so stop killing me.", that animal will be spared
                    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

What justification will you, as a meat-eater, give to stop yourself being killed and eaten yourself?
                      I won't, as there is no such justification.
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

That's probably the great future of gentech. We'll get steak without any animal wrapped around it.
                        Blah

Comment

Imagine a race of aliens invades Earth tomorrow. Or rather, they just show up in the neighbourhood. For them, human meat is delicious. Also assume that they exist on a higher plane of consciousness or rationality than we do. Their technology is so much more advanced than ours that we are playthings in their hands.

Now they, seeing that we kill and eat animals based on the idea that we are more advanced or rational than animals, conclude that we cannot claim the right not to be eaten. They commence humanely slaughtering humans, and sending us back to their home planet in little tin cans. They don't kill too many - only a few million every year.

Imagine a race of aliens invades Earth tomorrow. Or rather, they just show up in the neighbourhood. They eat a particular plant that requires large fields in which to grow. The soil and concrete under cities is the most fertile for that particular crop.

What justification will you, as a plant-eater, give to stop your city being demolished and yourself crushed under their harvesting machines and killed by their pesticides?
                          Last edited by LordShiva; April 12, 2007, 10:14.

Comment

How do you, as a meat-eater, justify the violence inherent in your food?

Being hungry.

Life feeds on life. Period.

We just found a way to feed people without killing everything in nature. Cows, sadly, got that role.

Spec.
                            -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Eating/killing for meat is less animalistic than what some people do in bed with significant others every night.
                              "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                              "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                              "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                              "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Working...
                              X