Imus dropped from MSNBC for racial comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rah
    Ho may not be as bad as it used to be, but I wouldn't recommend calling a black woman one to her face.
    Done it before. It depends on the woman and the situation.

I can see it being totally different for your generation, but for those in mine (and younger) "ho" is hardly even a bad word.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yeah you may be right, but I'm not going to take any unnecessary chances. Yes I do get away with calling some of my women friends or even my wife the "B" word, but it has to be in a joking or respectful manner.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by DinoDoc
        So are Snoop Dog and 50 cent next on the chopping block?
        Actually, many people (Black, White, and poka-dotted) have been calling for them to be dropped from their labels for years now. Unfortunately, it seems advertisers still support them.
        Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

I've been hearing about this Imus thing all week on the FreeFM morning talk shows. They pointed out that Imus has done a lot over the years for Black charities, and can hardly be considered a racist. It sounds like his "nappy-headed hos" comment was in jest, so I don't really see anything to make a fuss about. Of course, the usual race hucksters (Al & Jesse) are getting a lot of mileage out of this, but for some reason they don't feel any need to apologise for their anti-jewish comments and actions over the years. It's the old racial double standard yet again.

The whole thing is a storm in a teacup as far as I'm concerned. Yes, there is a double standard, but this shouldn't be news to anyone who has been paying attention. If MSNBC want to fire him for what he said, that is their perogative. I don't agree with it, and I think they are overreacting, but they are a private entity and they can do what they want. Hopefully this will hurt their bottom line - that's how a free market works. Now, if it was the government that was cracking down on Imus' free speech rights - then there would really be something to scream about.
          ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
          ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Advertisers pulling out hurt their bottom line - that's why they're dropping him.
            Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
            Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
            One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Avalon
              Advertisers pulling out hurt their bottom line - that's why they're dropping him.
              Fair enough then. I hope this hurts the advertisers. As far as I'm concerned they are cowards.

Comment

Originally posted by Caligastia
                Of course, the usual race hucksters (Al & Jesse) are getting a lot of mileage out of this, but for some reason they don't feel any need to apologise for their anti-jewish comments and actions over the years. It's the old racial double standard yet again.
                Yes, this has always been the most annoying aspect of their complaining.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

He doesn't have a history of helping the black community. He has a history of saying racist things about black people and demeaning things about women. The black charity thing is likely something he had to do for one of the things he said in the past.
                  "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                  "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                  "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                  "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by rah

Yes, this has always been the most annoying aspect of their complaining.
                    Another annoying thing to consider is that Jesse Jackson has no intention of apologizing to the Duke lacrosse players, after helping to make their lives a living hell for the last year or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
                      He doesn't have a history of helping the black community. He has a history of saying racist things about black people and demeaning things about women. The black charity thing is likely something he had to do for one of the things he said in the past.
                      Possibly. Like I said, I'm only repeating what O&A claimed on their show. I'd have to look into it myself to find out, but I'm just not interested enough to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Caligastia
                        I've been hearing about this Imus thing all week on the FreeFM morning talk shows. They pointed out that Imus has done a lot over the years for Black charities, and can hardly be considered a racist. It sounds like his "nappy-headed hos" comment was in jest, so I don't really see anything to make a fuss about. Of course, the usual race hucksters (Al & Jesse) are getting a lot of mileage out of this, but for some reason they don't feel any need to apologise for their anti-jewish comments and actions over the years.
                        Actually Jackson did apologize for the "hymietown" remark, IIRC. Sharpton is different.
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

Actually Jackson did apologize for the "hymietown" remark, IIRC. Sharpton is different.
                          Well I doubt the "hymietown" remark made headlines in quite the same way that Imus' comment has. And Jesse Jackson has a lot more than that to apologise for.

Comment

CBS cut him loose too, now. To Sirius with him?

This is just funny...all the outrage over a guy who's been saying the same stuff for, what, 30 years? Yeah, it's a stupid show. When Imus' show got picked up on the radio station I used to listen to it was what prompted me to buy my first CD player. I'm glad he's been canceled because he sucked, but I feel a little sorry for him just because he didn't do anything more or less than he's always done and now he's getting punished for it.
                            "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Al Sharpton said he was willing to go to jail until CBS fired Imus, why dare CBS squander such a choice oportunity
                              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

There is a difference than what he has done in the past. He has made racist comments about high profile people and coworkers. The latter is pretty horrible, but presumably HR covered it. Or at least I hope so.

These were college students. Women's college basketball isn't really for the players to make money in the WNBA. Most of them are doing it for fun or as a way to pay for college. They don't deserve attacks like that.
                                "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                                "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                                "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                                "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Working...
                                X