• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plan for year-round Fort Worth ski park underway

Yeah. How do you like these apples?

12:10 AM CDT on Tuesday, April 10, 2007

By DARLA MILES / WFAA-TV

Year-round snow may soon come to North Texas if a developer's desires for a ski park in Fort Worth become a reality.

Designs are already underway for the proposed $750 million Bearfire Ski Resort. Proposals include a man-made, snow-capped mountain, snow caves and a frozen lake for ice skating.

Developers claim it would be the first snowboard and ski park with 15 acres of ski-able snow that would be open year round in the United States.

With three lodges, fine dining and shops and a spa, the park's proposed location is a 527 acre stretch of land on Eagle Parkway in north Fort Worth.

The idea has sparked reaction across North Texas.

"It sounds kind of crazy, although they have one in Dubai or some place," said Dick Snyder, a skier. "I guess they can have one in Fort Worth."

Plans are already underway for the park's big Christmas attraction, which include a polar express train and sleigh rides.

Developers said they plan to close the deal in a year and open the resort in 2009.

I can see it now. 100+ degrees fahrenheit (37.777777777778+ celsius for you backwards people) with skiing going on. Leave it to us Texans to blaze a path for the rest of you suckers.
    Last edited by SlowwHand; April 10, 2007, 13:28.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Re: Plan for year-round Fort Worth ski park underway

Originally posted by SlowwHand

I can see it now. 100+ degrees fahrenheit (37.777777777778+ celsius for you backwards people) with skiing going on. Leave it to us Texans to blaze a path for the rest of you suckers.
    So sticky crappy slushy snow ??
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

They don't know the difference down there.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Denial running rampant.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Dubai > Texas
          "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
            They don't know the difference down there.
            Au contraire. If you've been to a Colorado ski resort, you've run into lots of Texans. They probably know powder better than lots of eastern skiers.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Yuh-huh. Rabbi LOTM, the ski and snow expert.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Re: Plan for year-round Fort Worth ski park underway

Originally posted by SlowwHand

Only in Texas could you find investors that dumb.
                When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

You know how bad 'fake' snow is for skiing?

Jon Miller
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I guess it's better then nothing but the cool kids live in states with mountains so they don't need fake snow.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                      You know how bad 'fake' snow is for skiing?

Jon Miller
                      The machine made stuff can be ok but they tend to groom it so that it becomes packed and thus hard & often icy. Fresh powder does beat all though.

Comment

Who they hell wants to ski in Texas? If I'm going to fly out somewhere I'll go to Colorado or Utah and get some decent snow. If I want **** snow I'll take a bus to Seven Springs.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                          Yuh-huh. Rabbi LOTM, the ski and snow expert.
                          I bet I've spent more time skiing in eastern US crud than you have.
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                            I guess it's better then nothing but the cool kids live in states with mountains so they don't need fake snow.
                            duh, some states with mountains STILL need fake snow lots of the time. Like West Virginia. Or Pennsylvania. Ive skied on fake snow at Seven Springs.

Comment

In SoCal they end up using machine made snow for half the season. If you get there right after a big storm though conditions can be nice. As nice as it is to have local ski resorts just a hour away I have to admite the high Sierras have much better ski conditions. It's just a pain to drive there.

Comment

Working...
                              X