Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nostromo
    Are you really a rabbi?
    Not at all. Im a lay Conservative jew, relatively well educated in Jewish matters for a layperson. I also tend to retain what I read, which helps alot. Im far inferior to my local rabbi in everything from Hebrew to Jewish law (not to mention stuff like pastoral counseling or congregational leadership) I do think I know more then he does about Jewish history, which I consider one of my fortes. Ditto demography. I know a reasonable amount about Jewish philosophy, which has been an interest for a long time, and which ties in with my interests in general philosophy.

Much of the info Ive shared hereon Jewish law and phil, youd find would be known by about 80% of modern Orthodox Jews, and by the 10% plus of the most committed Conservative.Well, maybe the numbers would diff splitting up the law and the phil - more Consies would know the phil, and more Os would know the law.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
      Are you really a rabbi?
      Check the time. A Conservative Rabbi posting on Shabbat? What a shanda!!
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Why must you make everything about being jewish?

Why "Jewish Philosophy"? Why "Jewish History"? Why do you narrow your scope to something so ridiculous?
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

jews > j00

Comment

If everybody in the world except muslims and palestinians put you in charge of bringing stable peace to Israel do you think you would have any suggestions?

If instead everybody in the world except the Israelis put you in charge of of the same task would you have any suggestions from that angle?

Comment

when will the frog lover be back from bannishment
              anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Why is Judaism considered a "world religion"?
                Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

what happened to panag?
                  Order of the Fly
                  Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by AAHZ
                    what happened to panag?
                    Now that's a good question.
                    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Which is better, M&Ms or Peanut M&Ms?
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                        Why must you make everything about being jewish?

Why "Jewish Philosophy"? Why "Jewish History"? Why do you narrow your scope to something so ridiculous?
                        I have interests in general philosophy, and many wide areas of history. However I have my greatest "comparative advantage" here in Jewish areas, so I tend to offer my expertise on those. On general philosophy, say, I am more likely to defer to others here.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo
                          If everybody in the world except muslims and palestinians put you in charge of bringing stable peace to Israel do you think you would have any suggestions?

If instead everybody in the world except the Israelis put you in charge of of the same task would you have any suggestions from that angle?
                          Im not sure what the above questions mean. My own beliefs about what would create a stable peace are surely independent of who "Put me in charge" in a thought experiment, arent they? Are you asking what the best deal either side could get that would still be stable would be? My own thought is that the parameters of what would be stable are so narrow, that there wouldnt be a vast difference. Or are you askig me what I would suggest in terms of negotiating tactics?

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus Rex
                            when will the frog lover be back from bannishment
                            I was never quite clear why he was banished? was it for too many troll threads in A/C? Im sure he will back soon.

Comment

Originally posted by AAHZ
                              what happened to panag?
                              I have no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                                Why is Judaism considered a "world religion"?
                                1. Because, despite our small numbers, we have lived all over the world
                                2. Because of our civilizational importance
                                2B. Because Christianity emerged from Judaism, and for a very long time defined itself against J, and Christians defined these categories

Comment

Working...
                                X