ask lord of the mark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you like nostril stimulation?
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
      Christians claim that some large number were raised o the dead by Christ. Additionally, we claim that the completion of Christ's existence is still to come (the second coming).

Jon Miller
      The Jewish tradition is that Moshiach will raise all the dead. And yes, Im aware of the christian belief in the second coming.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

3. Can you work in a hospital on Shabbat? In a Fire Department? In the diaspora this is simple - there are non-Jews eager for such work, who are not bound by shabbat law, so of course a shabbat observant Jew cannot, though if he has a specific skill or connection to a patient then Pikuach nefesh applies. In Israel however, in many towns, there are no non-Jews, and the Orthodox observe Shabbat by leavingemergency services to non-observant Jews. Which in principle, is really just as great a violation as if they did it themselves. At least one major O thinker says that O needs to change the law in Israel, and explicitly allow O individuals to do emergency work on shabbat, in recognition of conditions that never existed before.
        Lots of othodox Jews work in life saving functions.

In the army too.

Saving a life is more important than most things.

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
          Do you dream of boobs?
          I dream of people of all different levels of intelligence.

If youre speaking body parts, Im not prepared to comment about them on a site my daughter knows I post to, and, if she were to apply her considerable intelligence, she could fairly quickly discern who I am.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov

Lots of othodox Jews work in life saving functions.

In the army too.

Saving a life is more important than most things.
            Do they regularly take shabbat shifts, at least outside the Army? My understanding was that they did not.

Comment

So if the second coming happens as Christians describe, you would agree that Jesus is the Jewish messiah?

Jon Miller
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

What are the other Jewish ceremonies like?

I have done an atheist Hannakuh (sp?) and am about to do an atheist passover. How would you expect an atheist passover to be different from a Conservative or Orthodox one? (or Liberal)

Jon Miller
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I am very interested in temple service, btw. Why is it no longer necessary to do the whole sin offering/etc thing at the temple? What all was done? (I know a bit what some Christians say was done, want a Jewish perspective)

Why has no new Temple been built? (I have asked this before)

And if you daughter is as you say, she would know whether or not you dream of boobs.

Jon Miller
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

So if the second coming happens as Christians describe, you would agree that Jesus is the Jewish messiah?

Jon Miller
                    Im not sure all Christians even describe it the same way. It would be quite an effort for me to map the expectations of each church against Jewish views of Moshiach.

My understanding is that there is nothing in traditional J about two comings. OTOH if Jesus was in front of, I presume he himself could explain the contradictions. I would certainly be willing to listen. However thats not a hypothetical I concern myself much with.

Comment

No, Christians don't all consider it the same way. Some beleive in the Rapture for example (entirely unbiblical..). Many believe that at Christ's second coming, all dead (both those who are destined for heaven and those not) will be raised to life.

Jon Miller
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

What are the other Jewish ceremonies like?

I have done an atheist Hannakuh (sp?) and am about to do an atheist passover. How would you expect an atheist passover to be different from a Conservative or Orthodox one? (or Liberal)

Jon Miller
                        In the good old days, Jewish atheists would have had a meal on Passover, and not bothered with any ceremonies. Theyd have been too busy arguing over whether Trotsky or Stalin were right. These days we've got all kinds of funky groups, Jewish Humanists, and such. I frankly dont know what they do. I presume they wouldnt mention G-d, though.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

Do they regularly take shabbat shifts, at least outside the Army? My understanding was that they did not.
                          I'm not sure they do it on purpose, but I imagine that they don't skip their turn

Comment

I am very interested in temple service, btw. Why is it no longer necessary to do the whole sin offering/etc thing at the temple? What all was done? (I know a bit what some Christians say was done, want a Jewish perspective)

Why has no new Temple been built? (I have asked this before)

And if you daughter is as you say, she would know whether or not you dream of boobs.

Jon Miller
                            1. After the destruction of the Temple (bais ha mikdash) in 69 CE, it was not possible to do offerings, as doing them anywhere else is banned by Deuteronomy.
                            2. A substitute form of atonement was found - Repentence, prayer, and charity, esp on Yom Kippur, the day of atonement. The equivalence of YK prayers and repentance to sacrifices is made quite explicit - the services of that day parallel the sacrifices, and their is a long service where we read about the ancient YK sacrifices, to gain some of their merit.
                            3.There is a group of Orthodox rabbis in Israel today who believe that a third temple should be rebuilt, and sacrifices begun again. Given the presence of the two mosques on the Temple Mount, this would likely create a major war. It would also create significant issues about the relationship of the new Temple to the state - some O would consider is a messianic moment, and might cease loyalty to the secular state. For this reason most O rabbis, and virtually all other Israeli Jews, oppose the third temple movement. IIUC this year they tried to take a lamb up to the temple mount to be slaughtered, but the state banned it, and they settled for dragging the lamb around the city.

heres a website of one of the best know 3rd temple groups

Wiki also has some good info

Current Efforts to rebuild the Temple
                            Although in mainstream Orthodox Judaism the rebuilding of the Temple is generally left to the coming of the Jewish Messiah and to Divine Providence, a number of organizations, generally representing a small minority of even Orthodox Jews, have been formed with the objective of realizing the immediate construction of a Third Temple in present times. These organizations include:

[edit] Organizations involved
                            The Temple Mount and Eretz Yisrael Faithful Movement states that its goal is to build the Third Temple on the Temple Mount.
                            The Temple Institute states that its goal is to build the Third Temple on Mount Moriah. The Temple Institute has already made several items to be used in the Third Temple. (See below for list).
                            Recently an organization known as Revava, ambitious to build the Third Temple, has planned numerous ascensions of the Temple Mount. Revava last held a rally at the Western Wall on April 10, 2005 after it announced plans to bring 10,000 Jews to the Mount. This prompted counter-protests by Palestinians in the West Bank, Gaza and on the Temple Mount, and by more than 100,000 Muslims in Indonesia and several other Muslim countries. An estimated 200 Jewish protesters were allowed past intense security during the Revava rally, and they did not ascend the Mount.

[edit] Obstacles to Realization
                            The most immediate and obvious obstacle to realization of these goals is the fact that two important Muslim structures, namely the Al Aqsa Mosque and the Dome of the Rock, are built on top of the Temple Mount. The Dome of the Rock is regarded as occupying the actual space where the Temple once stood, and the State of Israel has undertaken to preserve access to these buildings as part of international obligations. Any efforts to damage or reduce access to these sites, or to build Jewish structures within, between, on, or instead of them, would likely begin immediate riot, war, and intense international condemnation.

In addition, most Orthodox scholars reject any attempts to build the Temple before the coming of Messiah. This is because there are many doubts as to the exact location in which it is required to be built. For example, while measurements are given in cubits, there exists a controversy whether this unit of measurement equals aproximately 1.5 feet or 2 feet. Without exact knowledge of the size of a cubit, the altar could not be built. Indeed, the Talmud recounts that the building of the second Temple was only possible under the direct prophetic guidance of Haggai, Zechariah, and Malachi. Without valid prophetic revelation, it would be impossible to rebuild the Temple, even should the mosques no longer occupy its location.

[edit] Status of Temple Mount
                            Main article: Temple Mount
                            The State of Israel currently restricts access by Jews to the Temple Mount on both religious and political grounds. Many religious authorities, including the Chief Rabbinate, interpret halakha (Jewish law) as prohibiting entering the area to prevent inadvertently entering and desecrating forbidden areas (such as the Kadosh Kadoshim), as the Temple area is regarded as still retaining its full sanctity and restrictions. Moreover, political authorities, concerned about past violent clashes at the Temple Mount including one which inaugurated the Palestinian Intifada, seek to reduce the likelihood of further violent confrontations between Jewish religious activists and Muslims worshipping at the mosques, which could further damage the area's delicate archeological and political fabric. [2].

During the Sukkot festival in 2006 Uri Ariel, a member of the knesset from the National Union party ascended the mount [3] and said that he is preparing a plan where a synagogue will be built on the mount. His suggested synagogue won't be built instead of the mosques but in a separate area in accordance with rulings of the prominent Rabbis. He said he believed that this will be correcting an historical injustice and that it is an opportunity for the Muslim world to prove that it is tolerant to all faiths.

[edit] Building of Temple Ritual Items by Temple Institute

The Menorah built by the Temple Institute displayed in the Jewish Quarter of the Old City of JerusalemAs part of its ongoing effort to prepare for a future rebuilt Temple, the Temple Institute has been preparing ritual objects suitable for Temple use. Several items to be used in the Temple have been made by the Temple Institute, including:

Copper Laver (For Kohanim to wash at start of day)
                            Mizrak (holds blood from sacrificial animals)
                            Large Mizrak (holds blood from larger animals)
                            Three Pronged Fork (to arrange offerings on Alter)
                            Measuring Cup (to measure meal offerings)
                            Copper Vessel for Meal Offerings (to prepare meal offerings)
                            Silver Shovel (to remove ashes from alter)
                            Silver Vessel for Wine Libation (for wine accompanying offerings)
                            Lottery Box (For Yom Kippur)
                            Silver Altar Cup for Water Libation (for Sukkot)
                            Silver Libation Vessels (for Sukkot)
                            Sickle (to reap the Omer barley)
                            Other Offering Implements (to offer the Omer barley)
                            Abuv (to roast the Omer barley)
                            Menorah Cleansing Vessel (to clean the Menorah)
                            Oil Pitcher (for replenishing the Menorah)
                            Small Golden Flask (for replenishing individual Menorah lamps)
                            Frankincense Censer (For the frankincense placed on the loaves of Showbread)
                            Incense Chalice (For Ketoret or Incense Offering)
                            Incense Shovel (For Ketoret or Incense Offering)
                            Menorah (See Menorah)
                            Table of the Showbread (See Showbread)
                            Incense Altar (For Ketoret or Incense Offering)
                            mock-up of Ark of the Covenant (See Ark of the Covenant)
                            The Crown (Crown worn by the High Priest)
                            Garments of the High Priest (See High Priest)
                            Silver Trumpets (Announce special occasions and offerings)
                            Gold-Plated Shofar (For Rosh Hashanah. See Shofar)
                            Silver-Plated Shofar (For fast days. See Shofar)
                            Harp (Used by the choir of Levites singing Psalms)
                            Lyre (Used by the choir of Levites singing Psalms)

4. I will no longer entertain questions about sexuality (other than those involving larger public or ethical issues, like treatment of gays) Judaism treats sexuality as a primarily private matter, and I think perhaps we have gone too far in the other direction in modern society.
                            Last edited by lord of the mark; April 7, 2007, 14:28.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                              If you want chocolate and peanut together, then go for Reeses Peanut Butter cups.
                              You are a good man.

Comment

LOTM = best "ask" thread EVER...

...and what is your favorite alcoholic beverage?
                                piece
                                Order of the Fly
                                Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Working...
                                X